shape
carat
color
clarity

My great-grandmother''s 1.1 ct OEC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
I temporarily have in my possession a very sentimental ring -- the center stone is my great grandmother''s Old English Cut diamond, one of the side stones is my grandmother''s 0.33 OEC engagement diamond, and the other side stone is another OEC family stone. Sadly, one of the side stones is badly damaged - the prong is trying to cover it. I''ve been admiring this ring my whole life and hope to inherit it someday :). I have it right now because I was allowed to wear it for my wedding on Sept. 2nd. I had the ring appraised for insurance purposes and the center stone is an H VS2. However, the main inclusion is just barely beneath the table, and if it weren''t for that and a few little chips on the girdle, it might be a VVS or even an IF. I''ve been thinking about what I might do with it if I do inherit it -- the setting is not sentimental so I would most likely choose a new setting... any obvious ideas?

47b6cc23b3127cce8f0737c985a900000016100ActmTdq2ZMmIA

47b6cc23b3127cce8f073744041400000016100ActmTdq2ZMmIA

47b6cc23b3127cce8f07378e04de00000016100ActmTdq2ZMmIA

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
OH, WOW WOW WOW! One OEC is great, two even better, but THREE?!?! *swoon* Love it! I''d put it into a more antique type setting...that many OECs seems to beg for it. What beautiful stones!

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
It''s so charming!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous!!! Hmmmm, how wouuld I set it. I think I might set it with a thin micropave band with sapphire accents somewhere.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yowza, 3 OEC''s?? Love it!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful stones!!! :) I would do something where the stones were a bit farther apart so each could shine on its own a bit more... something a bit more antique - that setting looks very modern, very typical. I hope the damage won''t prevent you from using the stone - I''d rather have a damaged old stone (as long as it wasn''t a structural issue) than to replace it with say a modern rb. that would just throw it all off balance.

HooCares

Shiny_Rock
That ring is beautiful! I love rings with history to them!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d try to find an antique setting for it or have someone like Leon Mege design and antique repro using all three stone..

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, that is GORGEOUS!!! That is beautiful! I love those stones, especially put together in a setting like that. WOW.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I love the three diamonds together...Beautiful OECs!

However, I find it a bit strange that you are already planning on changing a ring you have yet to inherit?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a treasure!!!!!! You are a lucky girl. I love antiques:)
emgift.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
OECs are magical! Where in the world can you find them?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That ring is just amazing - what a family treasure you have there!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
That is some ring. And 3 OEC stones. Very beautiful. I would try to find something antique type setting. Hopefully it will be passed on to you.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
What an absolutely treasure! Such history and such gorgeous diamonds!!! I LOVE IT
30.gif

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I love daydreaming about what I will do if this becomes mine! My great-grandmother apparently bought the center stone on a whim one day when she was out shopping - it wasn''t her engagement diamond. They weren''t super-rich but I guess she had a lot of spunk! Maybe I''ll do the same one day if I just happen to be out shopping at Good old Gold in New York! I live in Chicago, but hey, why not? :) My mom has the original settings for 2 of the stones too (the center and my grandmother''s e-ring). They''re both gold with some pave diamonds on the sides - I wonder if it would work to rehab those. They are prong settings though, and since the diamonds all have chips in their girdles, I think they might need a setting with more protection, like a half-bezel or something. One of the side diamonds is very badly chipped. I''m not sure if that is my grandmother''s engagement diamond or if it''s the other family stone but I will just choose to believe that it is the other family stone.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Those are BEAUTIFUL diamonds (*sigh*)... I would actually leave the setting as is and just put some engraving on the top of the band to make it more antique-y. I like the thinness of the band compared with the large diamonds. Do you have any side shots?? I fear that I may need many more pictures!

*M*

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice ring.

Antique type platinum setting like this one, maybe? My 3 stone OEC ring (actually 5 stone) w/ 6.6mm and two approx. 5.2mm G color OECs. The semi bezels might do for your damaged side stone. This is at the shop for a repair, so I can't show profile view. It's filigree platinum. There is also a little 2mm or 2.5mm stone in the shank at each side, which makes 5 stones. Very unusual setting. Spreads diamonds out across the finger, so it's rather broad w/ the three spaced the way they are. I'll post profile shots when I get it back later this week. Gordon Clark makes some vintage 3-stones.

OEC5stn.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love OECs!!! They would be beautiful in an antique setting.
30.gif

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Windy,

What beautiful stones! I kind of like the thin band on the current setting, too. I don''t think it would be bad to leave it "as is". It''s nice that you have the opportunity to wear this family treasure for your wedding.:)

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I love the story behind all the stones...it''s lovely!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Those chunky facets on the OEC are to die for.
3.gif

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 4:40:44 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Beautiful! Those chunky facets on the OEC are to die for.
3.gif
Couldn''t have agreed more
30.gif

There''s something just so mesmerizing about them.
Beautiful ring WindyCitySparkle.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Profile shot of my antique OEC 3-stone ring from earlier post. Has a small diamond at top of shank on each side. And we thought surprise diamonds were something new. :) Still looking for a better camera... These diamonds are high G color, darn it!

3OEC_ring.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results