shape
carat
color
clarity

My great grandma's aquamarine birthstone ring

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've had this ring for 20 years and never really truly appreciated it because I didn't like the setting. I pulled it out today and finally looked at it, and MAN this puppy is cut well! My great grandpa bought it for my great grandma in the 40's as a birthday gift. She hardly ever wore it. I remember she would bring it out for me when I could come visit so I could wear it. She'd wrap tape around the inside so it would fit me. I thought I was a princess. Makes me sad that I had been searching for an aqua because not only is this puppy pretty, but it matches my kitties eyes perfectly! How silly of me.

I'm definitely going to reset it in white gold of some sort. I want to do its memory justice. For now I'll just show it off in its original setting and maybe some day I'll be able to show you its glorious reset.

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5287.JPG

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that cut is very pretty and flowery. I feel like jewelry has so much more meaning when it has a sentimental note behind it.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think its gorgeous setting and all!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowza! That is a great cut! What do you know about the setting?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1317531544|3031020 said:
Wowza! That is a great cut! What do you know about the setting?
Thanks! All I know is it's 10k (for some reason everything my grandma had was 10k) and there are two diamonds. They almost look rose cut.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful, it's dazzling to my eyes. I love aqua, and even chose my blue topaz eternity band with the color of aqua in mind. (my birthstone is just one day away from being an aquamarine, I've always wished it was!)

I love the story of how your grandma would wrap tape around the ring so you could wear it. I remember my older cousin doing the same with her own ering, for weeks, until she finally had it sized. Her mother was horrified, but at 14, I thought it was funny.

eta: re: the 10k gold. I had a friend who swore that 10k was the only way to go. She said it was hard/stronger, she even wished her fiance had set her ering in 10k. Maybe one or both of your grandparents thought the same?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's too bad she hardly ever wore it. I am determined that when I set my stones, I will wear the final products, otherwise, what is the point? But I understand there was a different mentality in past decades. It is lovely, athenaworth. And it's my birthstone. :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NKOTB|1317535751|3031036 said:
It's too bad she hardly ever wore it. I am determined that when I set my stones, I will wear the final products, otherwise, what is the point? But I understand there was a different mentality in past decades. It is lovely, athenaworth. And it's my birthstone. :)
She had a simple gold wedding band that she would never take off (even in surgery). Other than that, she wasn't a jewelry gal. I guess my great grandpa was trying to make her a little more blingy, but it never really worked. It's like my mom and I went all the way the opposite direction - or a crow somehow found its way into our bloodline. :D

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like the setting, from what we can see of it. Do you have side views? It is a pretty stone.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that it's absolutely gorgeous and hope that you'll start wearing it!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful Athenaworth. Wear it as is, there is so much sentiment to it.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty aqua! I think it would look great in a new white gold home =)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1317566271|3031158 said:
I like the setting, from what we can see of it. Do you have side views? It is a pretty stone.
Here are some pictures of the side of it. It does have an interesting scallop work on the side. I also louped the diamonds. They've gotta be I25 or something, they're bad! And windowed like crazy. Replacing them wouldn't be that costly, but I think I'll just reset the whole thing.

IMG_7996.jpg

IMG_8002.jpg

IMG_7997.jpg

IMG_8009.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1317567765|3031168 said:
Very pretty aqua! I think it would look great in a new white gold home =)

agree.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
really beautiful :) and how special that it belonged to your great grandma :)

that picture in the shade...just wow!!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Nice stone..got history with it was..family history..very neat!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oooh pretty aqua! I love that it's the same color as Buddy's eyes. ::)

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very Pretty! It looks like a perfect blue flower with the cutting. What a beautiful 'aqua' family heirloom. :)) I'm anxious to see it reset since that is what you want. I will be a Stunning piece!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
What a stunning aqua! And so lovely to have the story with it. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
my goodness! that first picture is amazing! :appl:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous cut! I think a reset would be fab, and I'd consider a thin bezel to make the color appear a little bit deeper.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jstarfireb|1317947035|3034924 said:
Gorgeous cut! I think a reset would be fab, and I'd consider a thin bezel to make the color appear a little bit deeper.
Thank you everyone so much. I actually was thinking of a bezel! I contacted JKT about it. I want something simple, organic and white gold. That's all I know for now.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
How pretty! I love the cut and color on that aqua.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The reset process has begun! I can't wait! Check bak here in 3 weeks!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Exciting, Athena! What are you doing with it?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm having a vintage replica made by a store in downtown LA called SN Queens Jewelry. Their stuff rivals Single Stone without the bloated prices. Definitely more expensive then my stock settings I usually get, but this stone deserves a perfect home.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not concerned about that. I know it's real. My mom was with my grandpa when they bought it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deleted

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe you should limit your helpfulness to people who ask for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results