shape
carat
color
clarity

My grandmother''s/mother''s jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, I thought I''d post some of my family heirlooms here. I apologize in advance for the pictures they aren''t too great I''ll have to try to get some better ones!

A little bit about my family: my grandmother and grandfather were from China and left after the revolution being very poor and fled to Singapore. That is where my mother lived for most of her life and I lived till I was 8 when she decided to get remarried and move to the US. My grandmother developed a love for jewelry once in Singapore and passed these on to my mother. I always had an obsession for it and have promised my grandmother and mother I would much rather starve than sell off anything. What I am showing now is only a fraction of the diamonds, no they aren''t huge or anything just quite a few! Each of these have their own story...sorry I don''t know much about the specs but my grandmother has a great eye for jewelry very very white and brillant with very few inclusions.

The first ring on the left is a 5 stone ring. It looks like 4 .25 and 1 .1 on top. Reminds me of a flower. I love the high setting and I love the story behind it even more. The ring was purchased in Amsterdam by my grandmother''s good friend the then wife of the Singaporean ambassador who presented it to my grandmother as a gift. As a little girl I remember my grandmother wearing this ring alot.

The earrings in the middle are 1 ctw set in white gold. These are my favorite because I remember my grandmother wearing these the most!

The ring on the right is my mother''s. She purchased this from a Singaporean jeweler whom she was friends with. I love the wide band of baguettes and it sparkles alot for being a whole row of them.

More pictures of other jewelry to come!

Jewelry 009.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice - can we get some hand shots please?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Asian people love jade especially dark green, jade and diamonds, even more so. I especially do too!
30.gif

The earrings were purchased by my grandmother when I was born and have never been worn (I tried to hide the pricetags!) Anyway they are from Hong Kong she saw them and wanted me to have them so my mother has never worn them either.

The jade pendant has a few diamond melee around it and I remember my grandmother wearing it and in later years my mother wearing it because she wore it so much. Other than that I don''t know much else!

Jewelry 010.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Various shades of jade and a really old jade ring. The jade ring is very special to me as it belonged to my greatgrandmother who died when I was 4
5.gif

Sorry again for the background of these. These and the rest of the pictures were all taken at the bank today
20.gif
hence the not so great lighting!

Jewelry 011.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such amazing treasures. I know more are coming just wanted to say WOW!!
30.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
This is probably my favorite shot...due to all the bling!
31.gif

The jade and diamond earrings (never worn) were given to my mother last year and because she never got her ears pierced until last year, my mother wants me to wear them on my wedding day for the first time
36.gif

The diamond studs were purchased at the same time as my grandmother''s diamond studs above. They are the same 1 ctw same design same jeweler. These are supposed to be my mother''s but she never really wore them because she never got her ears pierced until recently.

Lastly my favorite pendant! It reminds me of a bunch of grapes
31.gif
and looks yummy too! I don''t know much about them but when holding them close to the studs it looks like .5 ct for each stone? Set in white gold its super sparkly and my mother is deathly afraid to wear it..hence why its in the bank.
38.gif

Jewelry 015.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry again for this awful quality
38.gif

This one is blurry but its four rings. On the upper left is 24 kt gold with diamond melee. Come to think of it all the yellow gold is 24kt super yellow Asian gold. This was my mother''s first diamond ring that she bought on her own so she''s particularly proud of it.

The ring next to it at the top is gold and amethyst (my birthstone) although when looking at it today it seemed really really purple too deep to be amethyst. I have no clue where this one came from or the story behind it
33.gif

To the bottom of that ring is my mother''s first engagement ring. 24kt gold with a .5 ct center and melee around it.

To the left of that is a very very special ring given to me by my nanny (who long story is also an adopted sister of my grandmother) and its 24kt gold with a dragon and phoenix engraved in it.

Jewelry 019.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Last one! This is my mother''s favorite pendant the center looks like .5-.75 ct very white and sparkly. She doesn''t wear it much because due to the 24kt gold (and same goes for rings made with little melee and baguettes) she and my grandmother have lost 5 melee over the years and are tired of getting it replaced.

Jewelry 021.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Had to throw this one in too
31.gif
But besides it gives a better idea of what the rings looked like to the upper right.

Jewelry 027.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks: Thanks! I do have some very blurry handshots from today I''ll try to get good handshots tommorow.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks kaleigh!!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I love the jade pieces!!!!
30.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have got to see that 24K yellow gold jewelry more clearly! Do you have a friend with a better camera? Or is there some problem other than the camera? I love to see family jewelry and not seeing the 24K stuff is killing me!

Deb :)

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
PrincessV,

I LOVE this stuff, any chance of getting close ups of the carved jade pieces. I am almost hyperventilating.

I absolutely adore carved jade pendants. The last time I was in San Francisco, I went into Gumps and got a gorgeous piece. Luckily it was a piece that had more of an amber look to it so it wasn''t too expensive. However there was a diamond green/white jade piece there that was to die 4 gorgeous. It had a to die 4 price tag too.

More pics, pretty PLEASE!!!!!!
9.gif
10.gif
9.gif
10.gif
9.gif
10.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my gosh, princesv!!! What a fabulous collection! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!

But I''m with Deb...those pictures are just a tease! Any chance of doing it again, with more closeups, hand shots, etc???

I LOVE old pieces, especially when they''re family heirlooms...they''re SO SPECIAL!!!
3.gif

widget

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks angel, AGBF, crafftygrl and widget! I agree I feel bad for teasing y''all my fiance
20.gif
was in such a hurry today and was sick, so he had absolutely NO interest in looking at these. Also my mother keeps asking me why I''m posting these and taking pictures for y''all to see LOL I''m going to talk her into taking me back to the bank again.
11.gif

But your wish is my command I went and borrowed two of my mom''s pieces she took out of the bank today.
31.gif

More jade and 24kt gold!

The jade and 24kt gold one is really really old. It was purchased as a one year anniversary gift to my grandmother from my grandfather. Its about 70 years old you can''t really see from the pics but the jade is now a little off centered and I''m worried about the prongs.

The second marquise shaped jade with diamond melee is from my grandmother to my mother, she specially designed and made it for my mom when we moved to the US.

Jewelry 030.jpg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a wonderful collection! I love them all
30.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe pardon my fat looking fingers
20.gif

Side shot of the rings...I love that they are so yellowy gold
30.gif

I''m off to work on photographing my mother''s engagement ring..I found out the one I saw today wasn''t it just one that was very similar but with a smaller center stone. Anyway its proof that 24kt gold + teeny baguettes/melee don''t work.
38.gif

Jewelry 031.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Last one for tonight! My mother''s engagement ring from her first marriage that she got reset. All the missing stones are from the result of everyday wear 24kt gold is super malleable. (this is what makes me scared of micropave!
6.gif
)

Jewelry 036.jpg

MellowCat

Rough_Rock
How fun it must be to go through all those beautiful treasures!!! I especially liked the jade pieces. So cool. Thanks for sharing.
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, what a beautiful collection..thanks for sharing all the pics. I love looking an heirloom jewelry and anything with special meanings or history..

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Mellowcat and mrssalvo!

Btw crafftygrrl: Amber look in jade is never a bad thing! I recall seeing a piece of what my mother called ''red jade'' in her collection somewhere it was beautiful!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Very nice collection, PrincessV. Heirlooms are very special and bring back wonderful memories of the past. Don''t forget to add your heirlooms to this thread.

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
princessv, what a great collection you have! Great reminder of what''s in my family as well. We also have a lot of jade and 24k gold, being from Hong Kong and all
1.gif
Thanks for showing your beautiful heirlooms!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you diamondlil I''m going to try to get some better pictures before adding them to the heirlooms thread (when I have more time and a better camera!)

CFemme I''d love to see your family heirlooms too! I love 24kt gold and jade although I can''t quite picture myself wearing it for now....so for now I just stare, finger the jewelry and drool
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results