shape
carat
color
clarity

my grandmother''s diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I haven''t been on here that long and i am still learning about this whole process, but here is my story. My bf and I have been talking about getting engaged for a while now. My grandmother passed away around 4 years ago and left a ring for my mom. My mom gave it to me and now my bf and I want to use the diamond from the center of the ring and re-set it. This ring is really old and from Argentina, where my bubbie was born. The ring is platinum I think and very ornate with 5 baguettes going around the outside on one side and 3 tiny round diamonds set in a paisley shape on the other side. It is set VERY high on many long stalks and the diamond in the center, set even higher than the other setting for the other stone, is set with 6 prongs. I think the diamond in the center is around .80 ct. Anyway, we don''t have enough money to buy a new diamond so we are using this one but part of me wants to get it appraised just to know what exactly it is and what quality. I am sure the quality isn''t very good because it''s a little dark, but it might just need to be taken out of the setting and cleaned.
We have a jeweler that my family is friends with but I don''t think we are going to use him for the setting. We found some really nice antique-like settings at Claude Morady at Antiquarius on Beverly Blvd. but I am scared to give someone the diamond if i don''t know all about it. What if something happens to it? Or what if it is switched? i am a little nervous about the whole thing and my bf doesn''t know ANYTHING about diamonds. Should I ask our family jeweler about it even though we aren''t going to use him to design the setting? (We want one that has a marquis or pear shaped diamond on either side with pave going down the band and maybe around the basket to make it nice and sparkly.)
Any input would be appreciated. The diamond has not been taken out of the setting and clean for a VERY LONG time so I think it is pretty dirty. i had it cleaned a while ago but the diamond was never really cleaned on its own.
Thanks for reading and I welcome any advice.
Simone
santa monica, ca

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
sorry, the pictures won''t download now! But i posted them on another forum and the link is here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/grandmothers-old-diamond-ring.25344/

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think there''s much reason not to leave the stone with the jeweler - it may sound dangerous, but this is part of every day work for a jeweler. There are stories out there, but this is not something an established jeweler might consider in a million years: one such fault will cost their job after all !

The stone most likely looks "dark" because of it''s cut and, perhaps, the setting. But cut comes first to mind. It would likely be very useful to see it loose and try out several settings (more or less closed) to decide which makes the stone look best.

IMO at least
2.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi palegirl,

I think it is so great to have a stone with history especially one as special as yours. I have read some threads about stone switching (I''m just a consumer, not an expert or anything) and it doesn''t seem like it happens very often but it is definitely scary. I would say go to a trusted jeweler by recommendation. I go to Sarah Leonard on Westwood Blvd. to get my diamond pendant cleaned (even though I only bought the chain there), they''ve been there for about 50 years and have a great local reputation.

I know it''s also possible to "map" the stone but I don''t know if that requires taking it out of the setting or finding a trustful person to "map" it. (sorry for the lack of info)

To find out more about what people have posted in the past type "stone switching" in the Search field.

My overall consensus is that the 99% of the jewelers are moral people who are proud of their trade but there are always bad apples.

Good luck
1.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes...and CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results