shape
carat
color
clarity

My grandma''s star sapphire.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock

Okay, so after being asked several times to post pictures of my grandma''s star sapphire here it is. I don''t know the specs on her b/c my grandma gave her to me when I turned 16. (It''s the only piece of jewelery I owned for years!) I know it''s VERY old and has been in my family for years, always past down to the first born girl. I feel very honored to have it. I love it so much I wear it almost every day!

Thanks for looking

DSC01467.JPG

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
one more... she''s very dirty...but its hard to clean her b/c she''s so old and I''m scared to let a jeweler do it for me in a machine. Thanks again for looking!!

DSC01468.JPG

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh very pretty! I like the setting a lot. And what a perfect star :)

I''d take it to a jeweler that specializes in vintage and heirloom jewelery, they will clean it by hand and it won''t get destroyed like it might in an US.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting such a beautiful heirloom! It fits you perfectly. And the colour is gorgeous.

My Grandmother gave me a platinum edwardian style ring with a bezel-set ruby on my 16th birthday. I took such good care of it until somehow in my mid-20s it went missing....
8.gif
But I thought of her every time I put it on...

LS

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is beautiful and what a perfect star. I love it and it is beautiful on your hand. What a treasure from your grandmother.

Linda

IluvEmeralds

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies for the replies! You are all too sweet!

MonkeyPie- I will have to look them up here in my area. I would love to have her cleaned but I would be heartbroken if something happened to it. My grandma passed away last year, and its one of the few things I have to remember her by. But, I didn''t know that was an option..so thank you!

LS- your ring from your grandma sounds beautiful! I''m so sorry you lost it!!
7.gif
I lost a blue topaz necklace my mom gave me when I moved to FL and I must have cried for WEEKS! I keep praying it will magically appear one day. I''ll do the same for you! You never know!

Linda- Thank you! You are too sweet..
9.gif
hope y''all could look past my hands!! I need a mani badly!! :) (I''m saving it for when I get my ering in Oct
12.gif
)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely! I also have a star sapphire from my grammy - but I had to wait until I was 21, LOL! Gorgeous setting too!
36.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a lovely ring!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That is very, very pretty indeed.

Chances are it''s man-made. In the mid-20th century they figured out how to make synthetic star sapphires with gorgeous color and perfect stars like yours. They were very popular, and I can certainly see why! Natural ones rarely look anywhere near as good as yours, and if they do they''re extremely expensive.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful honor to have ILuvEmeralds! I really like the way the stone is framed
2.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
ILuvEmeralds, that is such a beautiful ring you have there!
30.gif
30.gif
And a wonderful family treasure!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
tell us more about your ring!Who was the first to own it ect.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata,What do you think...late 1960s and a Linde star?

Date: 9/3/2008 5:02:00 PM
Author: glitterata

Chances are it''s man-made. In the mid-20th century they figured out how to make synthetic star sapphires with gorgeous color and perfect stars like yours. They were very popular, and I can certainly see why! Natural ones rarely look anywhere near as good as yours, and if they do they''re extremely expensive.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That would be my guess, but I''m far from an expert.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 2:46:42 PM
That would be my guess, but I''m far from an expert.
Ditto. I was a teen in the late 60s, and wanted a Linde star sapphire for my HS class ring. They were hot then, and looked so cool. I keep looking at them on eBay. Maybe I''ll pull the trigger and get one some day.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 5:02:00 PM

Chances are it's man-made. In the mid-20th century they figured out how to make synthetic star sapphires with gorgeous color and perfect stars like yours. They were very popular, and I can certainly see why! Natural ones rarely look anywhere near as good as yours, and if they do they're extremely expensive.
I wondered about that too. Linde started to make them in 1947 - theirs normally have an 'L' on the underside of the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results