shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My Grandma's diamonds reset into sapphire and diamond band

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been looking forward to receiving this ring for the longest time. The diamonds are from my grandmother's five stone band which was a yellow gold channel set. I remember seeing her wear the ring when I was little and thought the diamonds were soooo big. :). Women in my family did not wear much bling. She is definitely up in her years now and is starting to give away her jewelry, which is a little sad because we all know what that means. She gave the ring to my mom, who then gave it to me because she has received quite a few pieces from my grandma already.

I really loved the ring and felt so special receiving it because there are six female grandkids in the family and I am the one who received this ring. I knew I would not wear it much the way it was set so I asked my mom if she would mind if I reset the stones. Surprisingly, she gave me her blessing. Since sapphires are my birthstone and I have been wanting a sapphire and diamond band for the longest time, I asked our family jeweler to find sapphires that would work with the size of the diamonds and to set them in a channel set in 18k white gold.

It turned out really well and I love wearing something that belonged to my grandma and something that she wore a lot. I know I am not in line to inherit any jewelry from her since she has six children and five are women. But just having this makes me feel closer to her and reminds me of my childhood years when she took care of me. I remember her wearing her ring and shelling peanuts for me and teaching me poetry.

Anyhoo, here are some pics. Thanks for letting me share. :)
image_759.jpg
image_761.jpg
image_762.jpg
image_763.jpg
image_764.jpg

I have even put aside the e-ring to wear this on my left hand. I love to stack it with the pave bands. I have no idea the size or cor of the stones. They are pretty and sparkly and they were my grandma's. That's all in care about.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: My Grandma's diamonds reset into sapphire and diamond ba

I teared up a little reading your story LLJsmom! I can tell it means a lot to you to have this reminder of your grandma, your love for her is so touching - and what a wonderful way to keep all those special memories close to you. I'm really happy for you, the ring turned out beautifully and looks so perfect with your other bands! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story!
The ring is a beauty!! I especially like it stacked with one diamond band. Do you also have a pic of the new ring stacked with your plain band?

Enjoy wearing it!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a beautiful story and a beautiful ring!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom-what a beautiful ring and even more beautiful meaning behind it...I have a soft spot for grandmothers and your story brought happy tears to my eyes...wear your gorgeous ring in much health and happiness filled with love. :appl:

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock

LLJ that is so special, such a lovely story - Grandma's are precious. I love the ring it turned out perfectly and looks great stacked. :wavey:

onyx8

Rough_Rock

Absolutely love it!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your new ring is gorgeous!! The setting is perfect for the stones.. just fabulous! Enjoy!! :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This ring is AWESOME!!!! Love everything about it.. such a beautiful story!!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring and sentiment! I love stuff like that:)

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It's a beautiful ring and the sentiment is lovely.

The story is touching. My grandma was very special to me and I lost her a few years ago. I encourage you to spend as much time with yours as you can and share your happy memories with her. I guess what I'm saying is enjoy her while you have her because the things she leaves behind don't fill the place in your heart.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iluvshinythings|1382535479|3542871 said:
It's a beautiful ring and the sentiment is lovely.

The story is touching. My grandma was very special to me and I lost her a few years ago. I encourage you to spend as much time with yours as you can and share your happy memories with her. I guess what I'm saying is enjoy her while you have her because the things she leaves behind don't fill the place in your heart.

Yes so true. We brought the kids to Hong Kong to visit her this summer and will try to go again next year. I do so wish we could go more frequently, but a 14 hour flight is tough. She loves seeing her great grandkids. She is still as sharp as a tack at 96. It's amazing. But she is also aware that her body isn't keeping up as well anymore. Sad but we try not to dwell on it.

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock

Your ring is beautiful and perfect, with such lovely sentiment! I too have a diamond from a ring my grandmother gave me; I reset it into a pendant and am so happy to wear the reminder of my grandma, who passed away nearly three years ago.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Such sweet sentiment and beautiful ring. There is nothing quite like an heirloom diamond from a beloved family member.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love stories like this. :)) The band is lovely and the diamonds really stand out.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock

Love your story, it is so sweet. The ring is absolutely beautiful and you were so smart to put the diamonds into a ring you will wear and love instead of the old ring just sitting in a jewellery box. It really looks beautiful with your other bands.

WOW your grandma is 96!!! That is wonderful :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Everything wonderful! :appl: :love:

cheers--Sharon

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Very touching tribute to your grandmother and a beautiful ring! Wear it in health!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sweet!! And the ring turned out beautifully!!! :love: :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you everyone, for letting me gush. I knew if anyone would understand, you all would. I am sorry this is long. I wanted to thank each person separately. It's funny the memories that a little piece of jewelry can unearth.

junebug17 said:
I teared up a little reading your story LLJsmom! I can tell it means a lot to you to have this reminder of your grandma, your love for her is so touching - and what a wonderful way to keep all those special memories close to you. I'm really happy for you, the ring turned out beautifully and looks so perfect with your other bands! :appl:

Thank you junebug8. I do love her a lot, and think about her a lot too. I guess I didn't realize how much until I started typing up this post. I kept going on and on.

Acinom said:
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story!
The ring is a beauty!! I especially like it stacked with one diamond band. Do you also have a pic of the new ring stacked with your plain band?

Enjoy wearing it!!

Thank you Acinom. I'll post a pic of just it and my wedding band too. The pave bands are great to stack with.

arkieb1 said:
What a beautiful story and a beautiful ring!!!!
Thank you arkieb1. I wasn't sure how the diamonds would look in a white gold setting. I'm happy to see that it turned out well.

missy said:
LLJsmom-what a beautiful ring and even more beautiful meaning behind it...I have a soft spot for grandmothers and your story brought happy tears to my eyes...wear your gorgeous ring in much health and happiness filled with love. :appl:

Thank you missy. I remember my grandma and me sitting on opposite stools while she threw peanut shells into a little bunny rabbit tray, all the while teaching me to recite Chinese poetry. She was sooo young back then. It's funny the images that stay in your mind. I wonder what my children will remember.

Monnyjay said:
LLJ that is so special, such a lovely story - Grandma's are precious. I love the ring it turned out perfectly and looks great stacked. :wavey:

Thank you Monnyjay. Grandma's are so precious. I hope my children feel the same way about my mom, while she gives them Chinese lessons at the little table and desk in her room.

onyx8 said:
Absolutely love it!

Thank you onyx8. :) Thanks for saying that.

Rubies-R-Me said:
Your new ring is gorgeous!! The setting is perfect for the stones.. just fabulous! Enjoy!! :appl:

Thank you Rubies. And I want to get a ring with rubies because my daughter's birthstone is rubies. I have to dig up some threads on what to look for in rubies. They're so beautiful, yet so intimidating...

Mayk said:
This ring is AWESOME!!!! Love everything about it.. such a beautiful story!!!

Thank you Mayk. Hope everything is going well for you. I haven't caught up with you updates since I've dug myself out of tax season.

Kelli said:
Beautiful ring and sentiment! I love stuff like that:)
Kelli, I never thought I would love "stuff like that...", but the PSer's allowed the mushy jewelry lover in me to reveal itself. It was because of people of PS that let themselves enjoy and appreciate jewelry that I allowed myself to admit that I liked it too. I do remember jewelry that my mom wore, and that I liked seeing certain pieces on her.

IE_Princess said:
Your ring is beautiful and perfect, with such lovely sentiment! I too have a diamond from a ring my grandmother gave me; I reset it into a pendant and am so happy to wear the reminder of my grandma, who passed away nearly three years ago.

IE, a pendant is a great idea. You must miss your grandma. Good that the reminder can be close to your heart all the time. Can you share a pic of it, if you haven't already? :)

GemFever said:
Such sweet sentiment and beautiful ring. There is nothing quite like an heirloom diamond from a beloved family member.

You're right GemFever. It's funny because she doesn't even know that the ring has meaning to me. I hope that my daughter or granddaughters will appreciate the pieces that my mom and I pass on to them.

minousbijoux said:
Love stories like this. :)) The band is lovely and the diamonds really stand out.

Thank you minousbijoux. You're right. The diamonds do stand out. I thought it might look awkward, cause of the size of the diamonds, but they look fine.

charleston1 said:
Love your story, it is so sweet. The ring is absolutely beautiful and you were so smart to put the diamonds into a ring you will wear and love instead of the old ring just sitting in a jewellery box. It really looks beautiful with your other bands.

WOW your grandma is 96!!! That is wonderful :appl:

Thanks charleston1. I'm glad you agree that it was a good idea to reset. At first I felt guilty about it. But then I admitted to myself that I wouldn't wear it much as it was, so it was better to reset than to have it sit there. I can hardly believe my grandma is 96. No issues with her mind or anything. It's just painful to see her so frail. (I hate that word, but unfortunately an accurate description.) All the grandkids would love anything that was hers, be it jewelry or pictures or clothes or purses or a letter, etc. All of us adore her. Most of them are in the same side of the world as her. I don't get too many chances to see her. So I'm lucky to have any reminders of her, but especially some thing that I can wear and look at daily. Too bad she doesn't text. ;-)

canuk-gal said:
HI:

Everything wonderful! :appl: :love:

cheers--Sharon

Thank you Sharon. :)

woofmama said:
Very touching tribute to your grandmother and a beautiful ring! Wear it in health!

Thanks woofmama. It's selfish of me, I know. I want to be reminded of her all the time. I see the ring and I think of her laughing. She had this giggle, that seemed like she was doing something naughty all the time. And she always said that she thought her hands looked wrinkled. I never understood that. They looked beautiful to me.

diamondseeker2006 said:
So sweet!! And the ring turned out beautifully!!! :love: :appl:

Thank you diamondseeker. :) I am so happy that the ring turned out well too. The jeweler initially thought it would be too bulky and wide, but I told him that I didn't care.

Gosh, sorry that I keep bringing up other stuff. I didn't even realize all these memories I had. I won't take up space here. If I have to keep going on and on, I'll move it to another forum. Thanks everyone.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I LOVE it, especially in the full stack!!! :love:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

So sweet and a really beautiful ring too!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

It's gorgeous and with that much behind the stones, who gives a flip about any stats.
All your rings are really pretty.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock

Lovely!! So nice to have something so beautiful that will always remind you of your precious grandmother! A warm fuzzy feeling when you look at it in all of the years to come. :appl: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

LLJ your grandma's diamonds look INCREDIBLE in that new band!! I love the sentiment behind the ring - that you can remember her wearing her HUGE diamonds... that is so sweet!! I am also someone who misses her grandmother TERRIBLY (she's been gone almost 20 years... and I can still see her, hear her, miss her like its a huge hole in my heart...) so to have this beautiful memory brought to life that you can see and enjoy daily --- FANTASTIC!!

Beautiful ring!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results