shape
carat
color
clarity

My Grandfather's Sapphire Ring

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My grandfather passed in 2005. He was truly a larger than life figure. He was a big, robust man who grew up in a sod hut on the American prairie and came east on a cattle train. He put himself through law school by working the night shift as an undertaker. After law school he went on to work for our government chasing down threats to our way of life, events that would simply not be believed if I posted about it. He was brave, kind and fair.

My family was never much into jewelry. One of the few pieces I remember seeing in my growing-up years was my grandfather's sapphire ring. My grandmother had given it to him and he always wore it. Always. I never remember seeing his bear-claw-sized hands without it.

Over the years I've often wondered what happened to the ring after my grandfather died. I assumed it was either lost or my aunt (who is a recluse and doesn't speak to the rest of the family) had it.

Recently, I learned my father had it. He gave it to me.

The ring is difficult for me to look at it. It was cut off my grandfather's hand when he died. The ring looks so violated.

I can't even bring myself to clean it. It hasn't been cleaned since being removed from my grandfather. I can't bring myself to clean remove the gunk from the crevices of the ring. Gross, right?

I don't know what to do with the ring. My heart says at least repair the damage. Make it whole again. Then it won't be so heart-wrenching to look at.

But I don't have children to pass it too.

My own hands are thin so I'm not sure I could pull off wearing the man's ring. And my husband does not like wearing rings at all (even wedding bands.)

What would you do?

Would it be possible to resize the ring to fit a size 4.75 finger without altering its character too much?

At a minimum, I want to repair it so it is not so painful to look at (the damage reminds me of his death, not his life). Any recommendations who I can get to repair the band?

Also, the cabochon has a ding in it. I've toyed with the idea of seeing if it could be polished out (though it is rather deep). However, the ding has always been there, my father says it happened way back when my grandad first got the ring. So the ding is part of the ring's history.

Is this even a sapphire? It could be glass or paste for all I know.

Should I find a male blood relative to pass it too? We are a small family, but I do have a male cousin I haven't seen in twenty years. The selfish side of me wants to keep the ring because I loved my grandfather so much, I have nothing else from him, and only one other heirloom in general, our family just doesn't "do" jewelry at all. So this piece is extra special to me.

Here is the ring:

1 IMG_0948.jpg

2 IMG_0962.jpg

My grandmother had the ring inscribed: "Ralph from Amorette"

3 IMG_0971.jpg

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Please excuse Dainty (my e-ring) -- she is really dirty today! I thought I'd post this shot to show the size of the ring:

I've measured the stone with a ruler (LOL I don't have calipers) and it looks to be about 12 mm x 9 mm x 7 mm deep)

4 IMG_0978.jpg

5 IMG_0979.jpg

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
And I'm completely OK with it turning out not to be a sapphire. I still want to repair the band. Its a piece of my family history.

collier

Shiny_Rock
A lot is going on in your head with this family piece. First off, most men today don't wear rings and your cousin is not likely to nor is he likely to have the same memories of it. Keep it and treasure your memories.

I'm sure it can be repaired, but don't have a great reference. However, the inscription is still clear and so lovely.

Would you wear it on a chain necklace, like a giant charm?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Out of left field idea. How about a bracelet? Flatten out the band curve, keep the engraving. A cuff style maybe?

I have an opal cuff in the works. Attaching my CAD. This will be a long time coming because it's not at the top of the list.

Sako is doing it. I think he could do something for you and also work on however you want to rehab this. He's done sentimental projects for people before. He could touch up the engraving too on the ring- not the inscription, the outer engraving.

I think he could save the top. And maybe do a bracelet/cuff attachment for you.

I'm sorry for your loss too. He sounds like he was a really wonderful man.

1626968035823.jpg

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the history of the ring, the setting and the appearance, I am confident in saying that the stone is synthetic. I certainly understand the sentimental value in such a piece, but monetarily, I don't think a reset or resize would make sense unless your heart is set on it - and it doesn't sound like it is, if the ring is still painful for you to look at. I second the suggestion of wearing it on a chain, if you are so inclined. I hope that in time the ring can bring you joy and happy memories.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@pokerface Yes, I am set on fixing the ring. The ring is painful for me to look at because it is cut open. The cut is a visual reminder that it was ripped off his dead hand.

I wasn't considering resetting the stone, or doing anything elaborate. I simply want to repair the ring - close the cut band. It would not be possible to even put the ring on a chain without mending it, as the images clearly show.

I am most certainly NOT asking if others think it monetarily "makes sense" to repair the broken ring. A few hundred dollars means nothing to me. I am simply asking for brainstorming about my options for repair, and once repaired, keeping it or gifting to a relative.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Out of left field idea. How about a bracelet? Flatten out the band curve, keep the engraving. A cuff style maybe?

I have an opal cuff in the works. Attaching my CAD. This will be a long time coming because it's not at the top of the list.

Sako is doing it. I think he could do something for you and also work on however you want to rehab this. He's done sentimental projects for people before. He could touch up the engraving too on the ring- not the inscription, the outer engraving.

I think he could save the top. And maybe do a bracelet/cuff attachment for you.

I'm sorry for your loss too. He sounds like he was a really wonderful man.

1626968035823.jpg

This is a really cool idea, thank you!

Inventive ideas like this is why I come to PriceScope with questions, why I love our group so much. Whether or not this is what I end up doing with the ring is beside the point. I really, really value this response.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Repair and resize it for your middle finger?

I appreciate it has great sentimental value, however, I am all for repurposing a sentimental piece into something more wearable for me personally.

If it was mine, I would polish out the ding and reset in a plain Gypsy setting to be worn on my middle finger; or set it in a bangle bracelet.

DK :))

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful treasure! I don’t think it’s too large or manly for you to wear it as a ring, and your love for your grandfather certainly comes through in this post. It looks to me like it would be a really comfortable ring to wear with all that thick, smooth metal. It would be warm and solid in a way that I would find comforting.

It’s amazing that the engraving is so clear, given that he wore it for so long! Keep it. Fix it. Wear it in good health.

W

westofhere

Definitely keep it—it clearly means a great deal to you. And maybe reframe the way you think of it’s being removed, remembering that he couldn’t feel it, and that that was the moment it began making it’s way to you, which would have made him happy.

Another possibility would be to wear it on a chain, as a talisman/amulet.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
@pokerface Yes, I am set on fixing the ring. The ring is painful for me to look at because it is cut open. The cut is a visual reminder that it was ripped off his dead hand.

I wasn't considering resetting the stone, or doing anything elaborate. I simply want to repair the ring - close the cut band. It would not be possible to even put the ring on a chain without mending it, as the images clearly show.

I am most certainly NOT asking if others think it monetarily "makes sense" to repair the broken ring. A few hundred dollars means nothing to me. I am simply asking for brainstorming about my options for repair, and once repaired, keeping it or gifting to a relative.

Yes, of course repair the ring so it no longer causes you despair. I didn't suggest that you not repair, I suggested wearing it on a chain, which in this case would require repair, as you said.

In the original post, you stated, "I don't know what to do with the ring...What would you do?" The way this is phrased, some people will come up with elaborate ideas to reset the stone or build a new piece of jewelry, which is not the road I would personally take. Of course, to each their own, especially when family memorabilia is involved. The repair would be simple but the decision to keep or gift is personal. You obviously care(d) about your grandfather and this memento a great deal and I'm sure he would not want you to agonize over your decision. Good luck!

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
My grandfather passed in 2005. He was truly a larger than life figure. He was a big, robust man who grew up in a sod hut on the American prairie and came east on a cattle train. He put himself through law school by working the night shift as an undertaker. After law school he went on to work for our government chasing down threats to our way of life, events that would simply not be believed if I posted about it. He was brave, kind and fair.

My family was never much into jewelry. One of the few pieces I remember seeing in my growing-up years was my grandfather's sapphire ring. My grandmother had given it to him and he always wore it. Always. I never remember seeing his bear-claw-sized hands without it.

Over the years I've often wondered what happened to the ring after my grandfather died. I assumed it was either lost or my aunt (who is a recluse and doesn't speak to the rest of the family) had it.

Recently, I learned my father had it. He gave it to me.

The ring is difficult for me to look at it. It was cut off my grandfather's hand when he died. The ring looks so violated.

I can't even bring myself to clean it. It hasn't been cleaned since being removed from my grandfather. I can't bring myself to clean remove the gunk from the crevices of the ring. Gross, right?

I don't know what to do with the ring. My heart says at least repair the damage. Make it whole again. Then it won't be so heart-wrenching to look at.

But I don't have children to pass it too.

My own hands are thin so I'm not sure I could pull off wearing the man's ring. And my husband does not like wearing rings at all (even wedding bands.)

What would you do?

Would it be possible to resize the ring to fit a size 4.75 finger without altering its character too much?

At a minimum, I want to repair it so it is not so painful to look at (the damage reminds me of his death, not his life). Any recommendations who I can get to repair the band?

Also, the cabochon has a ding in it. I've toyed with the idea of seeing if it could be polished out (though it is rather deep). However, the ding has always been there, my father says it happened way back when my grandad first got the ring. So the ding is part of the ring's history.

Is this even a sapphire? It could be glass or paste for all I know.

Should I find a male blood relative to pass it too? We are a small family, but I do have a male cousin I haven't seen in twenty years. The selfish side of me wants to keep the ring because I loved my grandfather so much, I have nothing else from him, and only one other heirloom in general, our family just doesn't "do" jewelry at all. So this piece is extra special to me.

Here is the ring:

1 IMG_0948.jpg

2 IMG_0962.jpg

My grandmother had the ring inscribed: "Ralph from Amorette"

3 IMG_0971.jpg

I was the apple of my great-grandfather’s eye and I inherited his Art Deco blue zircon pinky ring. His hands were so huge that I can put that ring on my thumb and spin it like a top. Rather than resize it, I just put it on a gold chain and wear it like a pendant. You could do something similar with your grandfather’s ring!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a sentimental piece, so I would repair it and wear it. Choose which ever style you would wear the most.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would repair the ring and have a gold “disc” set into the centre (preserving the engraving inside) and have something meaningful engraved into the disc. A favourite saying of your grandfathers perhaps. Maybe Brave, Kind and Fair? Then I’d wear it as a pendant.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I would remake the ring into another ring or as suggested above as a bangle. Your love for your grand father shines through and the way the ring is just now is clearly distressing (as it would be). So I would find a design that you love and that your GF's ring could be part of and look on the process as something that you and he are doing together to create something new and that will make you smile when you look at it.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if repairing the ring would really erase the pain in your heart of how the ring was removed from your grandfather. If it were me, I would give it new life as a cuff or hinged bangle bracelet, mandating the preservation of the inscription AND the ding in the stone. Maybe then you could replace the pain you feel when you look at it, with a sweet reminder of him (and your grandparents love,) with something you could wear often.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I was going to suggest a bangle conversion but that has already been suggested.

I am not an artist, but I know you are, so may I suggest you create a piece of art to put in your home? It could be part of a sculpture you make or set in/on a canvas or drawing or light installment you create . It is admirable, and it is important to you, that you can honor it without wearing it.

cheers--Sharon

Alexandra Nova

Rough_Rock
What a treasure! Sorry for your loss.
Don't ever give it away! Own it and cherish the love and the memories it reminds you of.

Gypsy rings are really popular now and i think this could be a great index finger ring for you. Otherwise, a bangle or a pendant are great alternatives.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitly have it repaired and see if it could be resized for your middle/index fingers. If not, then I also love the idea of taking the center part of the ring and putting it into a bangle/pendant (As suggested by @elizat). I love the idea of trying to bring it "back to life" so that you can find some way to enjoy it.

I would 100% keep it if I were you. Your love for him is palpable in your post, so I think giving it to a male relative would be sad and is unnecessary. You should try to make it into something you can at least look at, and potentially eventually wear.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Just spit-balling but I wonder if a jeweller could set the stone into a bezel type setting for a pendant and on reverse inset the engraved message so it’s close to your heart?

So the stone would be set whichever position you prefer with a thicker surround to then have the section of engraving inset on the reverse.

1627010136121.png

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
It’s beautiful!! Thank you for sharing such a lovely part of your life with us. I agree, seeing it cut open is harsh and sad. I can’t wait to see what you decide to do with it. <3 What a lovely thought to honor your grandfather and family. Hugs!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of preserving the engraving, which is beautifully done. Inspired by the suggestion above, what about using the engraving as part of a charm - maybe a heart shape, or something else that would remind you of your grandfather? You could incorporate the stone or not - it might be a good way to split the difference if you are unsure on what to do to offer the stone to another party.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry. It may have been cut off while he was in the ER -- this happens all the time when the acutely ill get lots of fluid for blood pressure support and the hands and feet swell. There was always a "ring cutter" in the ERs where I have worked.

It's a beautiful ring and a lovely inscription. Any nephews in the picture?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can we reset the stone as a pendant (if you will wear) or bangle, and keep the inscription as a charm or panel behind the stone? Possible to laser cut the metal to preserve the inscription?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah I'd repair it too. The thought of how it got that way would be too painful for me.

I would have reset, but the inscription is priceless. So I'd vote for just making the band whole (pay a very good goldsmith who won't ruin the inscription). And put it on a chain to wear as a necklace. I wouldn't bother to find out if it's real or repair the dent in the side. It's not relevant to how you feel about the piece.

Guys don't wear jewelery passing it on sounds nice and if someone indicates they'd love to have taken care of it then great. But I think it came to you because it means quite a lot to you -- somehow it was meant to be.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, haven't commented yet because it made me verklempt to read.
How beautiful.
Everyone has given such great ideas I have nothing to add on that front.
It is a powerful symbol and lovely token of/from a soul you loved dearly.
Of course keep it, repair it and turn to it often.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely keep it, as it means so much to you (and may not to your cousin). I am a sentimental person, so I would just repair, clean, polish it, and keep as is.

If keeping it in its original form is not as important to you, you could also make it a RHR. Maybe something similar to Princess Diana and Kate Middleton's ER? Or a pendant as others have mentioned! The bangle and preserving the styling is another idea, if it's your style. I would only modify the ring if you feel you'd wear it a lot, otherwise I'd keep it in its original form.

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
Others have posted fantastic ideas. It’s time to make this whole again, whether restored or transformed. I can feel how much you love him, and how much it hurts. My suggestion is to reach out to Sako, I had my mom’s ring that I needed to give a new life to. He treated me kindly, honestly, and with humor enough to break the tears he likely knew were happening on the other side of his emails.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results