shape
carat
color
clarity

My goodness...fallen in love with a 1930’s Columbian Emerald and Diamond ring in Platinum...

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello, Just a quick (ha!) question.
I've just found in a reputable Jewellers, an original 1930’s Certified (haven’t seen the cert yet) Columbian Emerald 0.95ct and Diamond 1.17ct @ H SI (One visible carbon Mark with a X10 loope but nil without) old cut of some sort Platinum ring.

To look at it I absolutely love it, the Emerald colour is absolutely stunning and incredibly clean for any Emerald I’ve seen, ‘velvety‘ came to mind with the slight lines I saw with a X10 loope. No zoning etc. Fabulous colour!
The diamond is very pretty, well balanced symmetry wise and I just love it.
However, I really don’t know what is a sensible UK price for this is....jeweller is asking..a lot! I AD938BDE-F49A-4F6E-B389-6AA33629BE1E.jpeg D6C3D600-881E-4FF9-AD37-E2A20CA8B4C1.png know there are lots of variables but could some knowledgeable people give me some guidelines.

Thank you so much in advance.=)2 Not the best photos but just from my iPhone and please excuse my dry yucky hands. My view is wear gorgeous jewellery and no one looks at your hands! :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome! Love the culet and faceting on the diamond, and the emerald looks really nice :))

Are you happy to say what 'a lot' is? (Ballpark?) lol

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man, if I felt the way I suspect you feel, I would try hard to get it out of my mind. If I could not, I would go back and buy it, strictly on the basis of rarely falling head over heels in love with things. But that's me (I'm still rooting for you to get it, though ;)2).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jackie Kennedys engagement ring was just like that.
Beautiful.
Price?
I like to consider the value of the parts. It’s certainly a fine emerald, though under 1 carat, so say $2,500. The diamond is lovely say $3,500, the ring mount say $1,500.
So to me a fair price is around $7,500. A great price would be under $6,500, too much would be over $8,000.
If the emerald was to be certified as Columbian with no oil, add another few thousands on.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Bron, my first thought was Jackie Kennedy’s engagement ring too! Gorgeous.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t venture a guess what a fair price should be, but wow it’s gorgeous!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that emerald looks gorgeous and I love the whole look of the ring tho it doesn't strike me as looking particularly Victorian. Fo either of the stones have grading reports?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't expect much change from 10k GBP. If it is a lot more than that, then it would be too expensive for me.

DK :))

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much. The Colombian Emerald I was told is Certified but I haven’t seen it. I should have asked while I was in the shop! The Diamond isn’t certified but the jeweller said H SI, with his X10 I could see one carbon dot but I couldn’t see it with my eye alone.
I took my husband by yesterday, for him to have a look at it through the window...and maybe go in! But it wasn’t in the Window any longer, I suspect they were keeping it back incase I came in again... as I might have mentioned I possibly would! However as it wasn’t visible husband didn’t want to step into the ‘Tank’.
Thank you everyone and dk168 for the GBP guidelines especially.
He’s asking £14,500 GBP...said that’s a best price.
Husband thinks with our current climate it’s unlikely to sell and next time we’re here maybe the asking price will be more flexible!
I don’t know what’s going to happen next...what this space!
Thank you everyone for loving it too, for all your helpful comments and for making me feel better for falling in love with it....I’m not completely mad or misguided in liking it!:dance:

It’s a gorgeous ring! I do think that 14.5k GBP is much too much, but UK (and in general European) prices tend to be on the higher side.

If you really love this ring but he doesn’t budge, I would ask this jeweler if he does custom projects and ask him how much a similar style of setting would set you back. Or generally shop around for a custom jeweler who can make you something inspired by this ring (or other toi et moi styles you can find online). And then you can source yourself your own stones. Considering cost of stones and labour I do feel like it would be much cheaper but more troublesome to go the latter route! But you’ll have to see what is worth it to you.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Hounddog IMHO, you have the upperhand, being the buyer, especially if you are paying cash. :Up_to_something:
I am no good at bargaining, however if I were in a situation when I like an item on an auction site with the option to make an offer, I would offer what is acceptable to me and what I believe is a fair price, in the hope the seller would accept.
The sellers usually accept, or they may counter-offer. If the counter-offer is within what I consider as a fair price, then I would accept. Otherwise I would walk away.
Nothing ventured nothing gained, and there is no harm in making an offer below their best price to see if they would accept.
BTW, my maximum for a piece like this would be around 12k GBP cash, probably go in at 11k GBP first to see if they would accept.
Lastly, have you tried to pricing up similar stones separately to recreate the ring for price comparison purposes, as the setting should be easy to replicate?
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you AllaboardtheBlingTrain, its the price that bothers me the most...the ring is stunning.... It’s at the max end of our possible budget and while we don’t mind paying a fair price, I worried/wondered that this is just a push too far. I could regret it!
Thanks for the other suggestions too, interesting and I’ll give them some thought and investigation. Thank you.
=)2

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi dk168, sorry replied to Allaboardthe blingtrain but didn’t see your comment.
That’s a great idea, sorry to be brief, got to dash xx

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Hounddog IMHO, you have the upperhand, being the buyer, especially if you are paying cash. :Up_to_something:
I am no good at bargaining, however if I were in a situation when I like an item on an auction site with the option to make an offer, I would offer what is acceptable to me and what I believe is a fair price, in the hope the seller would accept.
The sellers usually accept, or they may counter-offer. If the counter-offer is within what I consider as a fair price, then I would accept. Otherwise I would walk away.
Nothing ventured nothing gained, and there is no harm in making an offer below their best price to see if they would accept.
BTW, my maximum for a piece like this would be around 12k GBP cash, probably go in at 11k GBP first to see if they would accept.
Lastly, have you tried to pricing up similar stones separately to recreate the ring for price comparison purposes, as the setting should be easy to replicate?
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Also contingent on seeing the paperwork, which you said the jeweller has on the emerald (confirm the treatment, origin, ct wt to be able to guesstimate its value) but not the diamond?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's an absolutely beautiful piece. I would see if u could peek at the grading report. Emeralds with no minor treatment are worth more. And I think it's a buyer's market. I would negotiate to lower the price. Jewelry is a want not a need.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a breathtakingly beautiful ring! That diamond alone is captivating!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous, but I agree that it's overpriced at 14.5.

voce

Ideal_Rock
First of all, beautiful ring! I'd probably fall in love with it, too. Good luck with your offer.

Husband thinks with our current climate it’s unlikely to sell and next time we’re here maybe the asking price will be more flexible!

I have to be a contrarian here. The market for luxury goods is more stable than those for commodities, as the rich fare better in any economic downturn. I cite the example of LVMH during and after the financial crisis from 2007-2009; note that the Chairman's words verbatim say that "the Group has always emerged stronger from previous economic downturns"...[my own emphasis added]
1594669355869.png

I therefore very much doubt the bargaining power one might have with high end jewelers.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Hounddog What a beautiful ring!

I echo most of the sentiments expressed already by others. For me, it comes down to things:

1. how much do I like it?
2. Will I wear it often to make it “worth it” for me to buy?
3. Is the price fair?

Essentially I’m asking if I missed out on it, will I regret it for a long time to come? Or will I grieve a little, and then move on?

Believe me it doesn’t always work—sometimes I just love it so much I know I’m overpaying and maybe that’s ok too, if I can afford it. But I also get that no one likes to feel they’ve been taken for a fool on a sale either, which is where PS comes in, to help me gauge and have a ballpark estimate.

I hate to be an enabler but in my mind if I just love the piece so much, I would probably buy it because a few extra thousand dollars than I’d intended to spend spread over many years of wear would still make it feel worthwhile.

I also find if I sit on a piece for a while, and end up going for it, I tend to be more sure that it’s right for me. Granted, this has meant that sometimes there’s always the “one that got away”.

Hope this helps a little. The price I agree is higher than I would like, but it’s not crazy high IMHO (I’ve seen similar rings go for similar rates at antique stores here although granted I live in San Francisco and everything is a bit high), but I always say I don’t buy jewelry to save money, it’s great if I get a deal of course, but at the end of the day the heart wants what the heart wants, and I wear my collection with joy, and if I’m not putting my family into hardship over my purchases, I’d probably go for it!

Last edited:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a very similar Emerald I inherited from my mother and I love love love love love it. Buy it!

EDIT: I've just seen the price and that's waaaaaay too much! My Emerald is just over 1.5ct and it has two old mine cut half carat diamonds on either side of it. It's eye clean and untreated - Victorian. My Mum believed it was a Siberian Emerald but nobody can tell me so it's either Siberian or Columbian!
The ring (for valuation purposes) is £8k and it's set in platinum as well - although less platinum than in the ring you're considering. A fair price, in this current climate would be around £10k perhaps as much as £12k because the cushion cut old mine diamond adds to the value. I'll see if I can find the photo of mine to show you so you can compare.

Last edited:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such great suggestions, comments, photos and sensible advice. Thank you all so much, I really want and need to go through them and respond individually, you’ve all helped a great deal, but today’s been busy and it’s getting rather late here and I need my bed...so I’m sorry it may take me another day or two to respond fully.

Having said the above, I do just have to say...
Thanks for the great ‘Think though’ Pink Martini87, my mind calculates along fairly similar lines, it’s great to read yours.
Thanks also LD, what a gorgeous Ring, love the colours and the balanced look, a true classic beauty!

To briefly update, I’ve contacted the jeweller by email and asked to see a copy of the Certificate covering the Emerald, or a list of all the details plus the Company providing the Certificate, and any other documentation they may have on the ring or the Diamond.
If I take this any further, I do want to know exactly what I’m getting... although my eyes tell me something gorgeous! By the way it’s 1920’s not 1930’s, my error!
Thank you all again, must get to sleep, night all.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First of all, beautiful ring! I'd probably fall in love with it, too. Good luck with your offer.

I have to be a contrarian here. The market for luxury goods is more stable than those for commodities, as the rich fare better in any economic downturn. I cite the example of LVMH during and after the financial crisis from 2007-2009; note that the Chairman's words verbatim say that "the Group has always emerged stronger from previous economic downturns"...[my own emphasis added]
1594669355869.png

I therefore very much doubt the bargaining power one might have with high end jewelers.

I have to agree the rich will definitely get richer it has already happened and quite dramatically too

Unfortunately 13 k pounds is decidedly not in the domain of the rich, its much more something that someone with middle income would spend and there I think maybe there will be a drop. For instance one of the most recent statistics was that 53% of the US's restaurants had now become insolvent and closed permanently.

It is only just beginning too, so it will be interesting to see what happens next. I think there is a prediction that there will be enmass defaults on housing lones very soon which will definitely make the rich a lot richer. But to take advantage of that kind of stuff you need a few million sitting around in cash at least to buy up the foreclosed properties.

OP the ring is lovely! What do you like best about it though? The overall asthetic and the fact that it is antique (because honestly you're unlikely to find another like it. You could look at Langs but really itd be hard to find an equivalent/similar ring)? Or the emerald or the diamond? If its the emerald then need to know the treatment level to know how difficult it would be to find a similar one. If it is the diamond then I think you could do better.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
The color on that Emerald woowee it is gorgeous and I hope the price wiggles. I'm no help but good for you being strong.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your shoes, I might after you look at the certificate and the emerald is no or minimal oiling/treatment, maybe just come out and be honest. Say I like the piece. I am a serious buyer and willing to buy it now, but the price is too high. What is the best price you can give me? If they are unwilling to budge you may decide that it's not worth it. And for those Americans that's 18+K dollars which would definitely be too rich for my blood. If they say no, then come back in 2 months see if it is still available and repeat. I would not expect a large reduction though. I really like the look of the emerald and the whole ring is beautiful and well balanced.

Last edited:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi again, Sorry, I keep meaning to reply individually to everyone...eek...so sorry!

Well my update is, I’ve seen a copy of the Certificate for the beautiful Emerald....it’s by a UK based Certificate (GCS London) so I personally don’t know much about the company as most known houses seem to be US based, but by googling it and also from the jewellers concerned apparently is a reputable UK house that is used by Sothebys, Christie’s and quality UK jewellers etc for Antique jewellery assessments.
The certificate confirms it’s a Colombian Natural Emerald, with Minor Enhancement.

So now at least I know it’s of a genuinely good quality, the Diamond has no certification, but the jewellery says it’s a transitional cut and he believes H/I colour (at the lowest, as he’s sensibly covering his assessment) and SI grade (I saw a carbon dot with x10 loope in person but not with my naked eye). It’s a pretty diamond.

I‘ve decided I can’t pay £14,500....so it’s forget about it...or wait and see if it’s still there sometime in the future with hopefully for me a lower price tag.
I could go down the good and kindly suggested route of ‘make an offer‘...(and I might yet do that...see I’m dithering and tempted again)....but in this present climate I can’t justify spending any large amount. I’m looking into having a similar one made, but I loved that one...I’m not sure a copy is going to provide the same emotional attachment...but maybe if the price is right! Rollercoaster ride of logic and emotions!:roll:
Hopefully if it’s meant to be.....

Thanks for all your wonderful help, suggestions and interest.
PS members are a fab bunch.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I understand your dilemma. Save up your pennies and if it was meant to be it will happen. If not I tell myself something better will be there for you.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It IS a huge chunk of money in this climate so I totally get your hesitation. If you're meant to have it then the money will come from somewhere or it'll still be there in a few months time. Don't forget jewellers must be having a hard time too so a cheeky offer may be a good thing and so long as it's covering their costs and giving a bit of profit they may go for it.

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh, @Hounddog! I just wanted to say I feel for you so much as I, too, fell deeply in love with a ring during the pandemic! I also decided that it was just too much money to spend right now with all this uncertainty around us. After thinking through a custom option, I knew in my heart that a replica just wouldn't hold the emotional value for me. Here's to hoping our rings remain unsold until better days for us all!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results