shape
carat
color
clarity

My god-daughter is going to university! Exhaaaaaaale....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @sparlie She is as great a gift as I had ever envisioned. I certainly feel very blessed to have her in my life.

@Mamabean - thanks for those kind words. She is a true beauty which, frankly, can make her a bit of a target for boys. But she is pretty level headed, and if she wanders off track, she normally knows it and will come and ask for help. We're very lucky in that way!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You an awesome job Mom!!! kudos to her and a HUGE hug for you Mrs.B :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Clearly I'm trying to teach her good habits.

These lessons serve:

I had to pick myself from this sort of thing, and could not have said I am whole again until I a first piece of jewelry - a pair of earrings not unlike ones received as a lesson of life once; they sort of presented themselves while I wasn't looking.

This, can be...

Mcgregor

Shiny_Rock
Your goddaughter is very fortunate to have such a caring godmother in her life. And I am sure that you feel the same way about her.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Tekate - and a big hug right back atcha!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just because I'm so proud of how this story turned out....

She ended up going to UC Riverside for 2 years where she studied art and art history, with a view to working in children's illustration / publishing. She worked *very* hard, and for second year was offered a 75% academic scholarship. For her 3rd year, she was offered a 100% academic scholarship, but she also applied for UC Berkeley, was accepted, and transferred for her jr and snr years. She graduated 6 weeks ago with straight A's.

She's now doing a 1 year post grad diploma through UC San Diego in children's illustration, and then will start looking for jobs in children's publishing. She hopes to do an MBA at some point (part time while working) and work, ultimately, as an art director for a children's publishing house.

This is her Christmas card from Christmas 2021. She has such joyous whimsy! And as everyone here knows, she and I adopted each other a year ago this Wednesday and this fabulous creature is now my daughter.

Well done, baby girl!

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 1.55.22 PM.png

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just because I'm so proud of how this story turned out....

She ended up going to UC Riverside for 2 years where she studied art and art history, with a view to working in children's illustration / publishing. She worked *very* hard, and for second year was offered a 75% academic scholarship. For her 3rd year, she was offered a 100% academic scholarship, but she also applied for UC Berkeley, was accepted, and transferred for her jr and snr years. She graduated 6 weeks ago with straight A's.

She's now doing a 1 year post grad diploma through UC San Diego in children's illustration, and then will start looking for jobs in children's publishing. She hopes to do an MBA at some point (part time while working) and work, ultimately, as an art director for a children's publishing house.

This is her Christmas card from Christmas 2021. She has such joyous whimsy! And as everyone here knows, she and I adopted each other a year ago this Wednesday and this fabulous creature is now my daughter.

Well done, baby girl!

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 1.55.22 PM.png

How thrilling!!!!! So happy for you all!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great update @mrs-b! You must be so proud of her. And she is very talented!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to your daughter, and the whole family -- huge achievement to graduate Berkeley let alone get into UCSD post-grad program -- her talent and hard work (and family support and encouragement) will take her far -- thank you for sharing such positive news!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats to your uber talented daughter @mrs-b !

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I just loved reading this! What a wonderful young lady!! Congrats on her accomplishments!! I can see why you're one proud mama! Her hard work and determination will certainly continue to pay off- hoping for all the best for her!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the follow up and I’m still so thrilled at the story of how you and she adopted each other. Congratulations to your lovely daughter for her achievements and hard work.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
What a fantastically lovely story! She has such a bright future, so nice to read about.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I'm a teacher and would love to see her work one day in the classroom!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My dear friend’s daughter graduated with your god daughter! An athlete graduating with honors from the haas school. Congrats! Something to celebrate.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
New to the thread and love this uplifting news! Congratulations to her and to you.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just the best news! I'm so thrilled for your beautiful, brilliant girl @mrs-b, and for you as well, for your unwavering love and support of her. I can't wait to hear what she achieves next!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dear friend’s daughter graduated with your god daughter! An athlete graduating with honors from the haas school. Congrats! Something to celebrate.

Congratulations to your friend's daughter, @rocks! Just to clarify, tho - I adopted Eleanor last year and she is now legally my daughter. Today is the first anniversary of our adoption. ::)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's something she painted and posted to her social media today. I suspect these will turn up as some sort of greeting card at some point. Aside from whimsy and children's illustrations, Eleanor does a lot of botanicals / florals, and also animals. Personally, I think botanicals are her strongest suit, but anything in watercolor is lovely.

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news; her work is lovely!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning, she is truly gifted! How I would love to be able to so effortlessly produce beautiful pieces like she does! I love watercolour.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to your daughter! Her artwork is lovely.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the lovely comments, folks - I've told Eleanor about this and she was genuinely chuffed. ::)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She really is very talented and her work is impressive. I particularly love the Hydrangea!

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
@mrs-b your story resonates with me, I’m a stepmother to a 27 year old who is shared custody due to a very short relationship with my husband.
When my stepson was five he said to me “what are you to me” I explained that I would always be whatever he needed and wanted me to be.
Dear little man was torn between two very different households so I just stepped up as needed, he had his Mum and Dad.
My stepson has always been a bright clever boy but also had to deal with all the issues that come with a separated Mother & Father, which from my perspective was heart wrenching. There where so many tumultuous times during secondary school for him and us.
But He did it, got accepted into a renowned Melbourne university and completed his PHD in Mathematics, his career is flourishing, has bought a house and is happy!
Though my stepson’s schooling to university, my husband and I learnt so much about parenting a teenager to achieve their potential to where they want to be career wise.
Our daughter is 21 and is studying at the same university as her older brother, she wants to be a Diplomat so is studying Mandarin, along with political & women’s studies. She also works very part time as a Sommelier (in training and well looked after for her age) for an established Victorian/Australian vineyard.
Our current teenage project is our youngest, finishing his last year of secondary school and aiming for a high ATAR (Australia) score, he wants to be an Architect. He says it’s because he has grown up with renovations of houses and the love of environmentally friendly housing designs.
Congratulations for your gorgeous God-daughter and her accomplishments due to your love and support!

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs B, I'm glad your your loved one got what you wanted for her. :dance:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs B, I'm glad your your loved one got what you wanted for her. :dance:

Thanks! Strange wording, tho, @kenny. Frankly, I wouldn't be pleased if Eleanor had only achieved what I wanted for her - where's the joy in that? I'm thrilled because she got what she wanted for herself. Eleanor's goals have changed many times as she has matured, honing in on her strengths and interests as she's gone along, and my support of those goals has switched and morphed to reflect her goals for herself with every changing iteration. Her brother, my godson, for example, went from electrical engineer, to a career in the army, to philosophy academic, to park ranger, to psychiatrist, to computational linguistics before he found his path, and I was there for all of it. I can cast an opinion, but their choices are their own, and my unfailing opinion has been that they need to work out what they'd like to do - and do that. I think I inherit that from my mother. I remember when I was a little girl, laying in bed with her and chatting about potential careers. I remember in one conversation two of the things she suggested to me: pastry chef and prime minister. I try to cast as wide a net when talking to my two; only they really know themselves and what they'd find most satisfying.

And yes, she's my loved one; she's my daughter.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results