shape
carat
color
clarity

My Future Gemstone Project Shape, Please Help Me Decide!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Which shape should I go with? Emerald Cut, Asscher or Cushion :Up_to_something:

Lori

IwannaCushion

Rough_Rock
They all sound good...why not one of each and make stackers? Or is that too horrible?

IwannaCushion

Rough_Rock
They all sound good...why not one of each and make stackers? Or is that too horrible?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waaaaaah, I have no asschers!! I want an asscher!

I guess you know what I vote for. Actually, it really depends on what kind of effect you want - if you want to focus on facets, then asscher all the way. If you want to focus on color then emerald. If you want to be somewhere in between, I'd say cushion. Oh boy, can't wait to see what you do!!

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
:idea: Be daring, try a tried and true classic Portuguese cut. The true Portuguese has a few more facets and takes a bit longer to facet so you might have to look a bit harder for this one. There are simplified versions that are quite nice, but a full portuguese in a slightly larger stone can be spectacular.

Regards

Jeffrey Hunt

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Asscher or cushion please!!

I've been wanting one of each for a while but I keep ending up with rounds.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Among these shapes, I always gravitate to Asschers.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I'd do asscher and then cushion. Then emerald.

I hate portuguese, so that's a big fat no on my end, but you know that already, Lori!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Depends -

What stone color? If it's darker, cushion, not asscher or emerald - those do better with lighter colors because you can see the steps.

Budget? Do you have the budget to go for something larger? If not, asscher might not be the best choice, as it faces up quite small.

Setting - what kind of setting are you thinking?

And finally, no Portuguese! But I'm biased against Portuguese cuts :p

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1304306971|2909703 said:
I think I'd do asscher and then cushion. Then emerald.

I hate portuguese, so that's a big fat no on my end, but you know that already, Lori!

Well it's a good thing there are so many wonderful gems and styles to choose from! :) I find Asschers in low refractive material generally boring myself- but that's just me. (There are always beautiful exceptions.) I can actually remember seeing my first asscher cut diamond - absolutely amazing - an endless pool of reflections. That same wow factor can happen in a well designed/cut Portuguese. Many Portuguese cuts out there are simplified versions and do not perform well at all - in my humble opinion.

Of course you can't generally go wrong with an Asscher, Emerald or Cushion - depending somewhat on color saturation. I would consider the whole collection though and round out occasionally with other wonderful styles.

Given the original question and choosing from just those three designs I would look for an Asscher in a higher refractive material - at least tourmaline or higher.

Regards

Jeff

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry Jeffery, but I like big chunky facets and that is not the strong suit of the Portuguese cut.

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
FrekeChild|1304352857|2910050 said:
Sorry Jeffery, but I like big chunky facets and that is not the strong suit of the Portuguese cut.

Hi FrekeChild, I agree with your 100% there! Portuguese cuts do not have big chunky facets, and the play of light can actually be quite delicate - not to everyone's taste, but then again, maybe perfect for someone else.

What's interesting, I think, about facet sizes, and the relationship of those facets sizes between pavilion and crown is that it can produce dramatically different displays of light in all the various styles of cuts. Something for everyone in other words! What is nice about the Emerald, Asscher and Cushion is that they generally produce an even uniform light return that is quite pleasing - and they are proven as classical designs. Well designed Portuguese cuts fall in that same category.

I've seen many stones I adore in big chunky facets!

Regards,

Jeffrey Hunt

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushions = easier to source and look lovely in most colours (especially if you get a chunky faceted one).

Emerald cut = has to be cut well and strongly saturated gems are nicer (in my opinion). Finding a well cut one could be challenging in the gem of your choice. Some gems also don't lend themselves to an emerald cut but a good one is lush!

Asscher = everybody has them. So no to this one purely on that basis!!!!

My choice would be cushion - you can also go mad with a design without limiting yourself too much. If you find an emerald cut in the gem that looks great then that would be my second choice.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I'll spill the details once I have them down, but I really appreciate your thoughtful comments!!!

Lori

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm excited and want to spill the beans!!!!!

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
LIZ...YOU ARE NAUGHTY!!!!

Lori

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke - go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! Spill 'em! :naughty: :wink2: :naughty:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Jeffrey, I love Portuguese cuts too! This might call for a "show me your Portuguese cuts" thread!

Anyway, can't wait to see what Lori chooses (chose?)!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
No decision has been made yet...still on the fence!

Lori

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff I can agree with your love of portuguese cuts. I wasn't terrible keen myself...then I purchased a sphene with one. There was just no words....(I wish it was bigger!!!) I think though with colored stones, some cut types lend themselves better to the material and its RI...can make the difference between a so so stone and a wow stone. But some of us just dont like certain shapes....lol I'm not totally keen on traditional emerald cuts, though I own a few. I much like a scissor cut instead.

Lori, I can't wait to see what you decide! :appl: I would say one of each but thats me just being me :tongue:

-A

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello All!

I love Portuguese cuts, but also love Cushions, Asschers and Emerald cuts and many other designs too numerous to list. For me, loving a stone or cut all comes down to a wonderful melding of material and design - and craft. With careful searching, and satisfying personal preferences, I think anyone can find that perfect stone.

Something possibly overlooked a bit, but mentioned early in this thread, is there are different styles or solutions for each of these classic designs. If you find a stone or design you like, from a favorite cutter - ask the name of the specific design. Could they cut the same exact design again - with the same angles? Most will say yes I'm sure, but not all designers will be cutting from the same design. Keep track of those winning cuts - not just the general shape. Faceters may not want to advertise the exact design they are cutting, either reserving an original design or simply protecting a known winner, but they should be able to guarantee the same exact cut for you.

Some designers may successfully work within a range of proven angles, this is also a question to ask if you want to pursue a specific design.

Portuguese cuts when cut in medium saturated garnet in an edited - or simplified version may realize a stone that is dark and dead - even lighter material can be unexciting in this version. Cut in lighter aqua in a fully realized portuguese design however can produce stunning results. Try that in sphene and you have a "knock em dead" stone. Even so, it still comes down to personal preference in the end. Not everyone prefers all styles!

Just a few thoughts on this very sunny and beautiful Northern California day...

Jeffrey Hunt

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Muah hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna spill the beans Lori...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results