shape
carat
color
clarity

My friend wants to propose to HIM!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
My best friend has had an old boyfriend come back into her life about a year ago. He had proposed to her twice in the distant past, but timing was bad (long story). Now she's free, & they are totally in love again. (They've known each other 30 years). She told me she wants to propose to him this time and has asked my help. Do women who propose offer a ring? Any thoughts or stories appreciated!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl power! I think she should do a ring if she has an idea of what he would like. The one time I've seen a woman propose (in some kind of reality tv show) she presented a band to her beau.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Its unfamiliar territory for me too, but it seems like I've heard of some women proposing, offering a ring, guys wearing an engagement band type ring. He lives in a beach town, very casual place, a casual guy with modest taste. I can't see him wanting a fancy watch or blingy anything.

Reactions: AV_

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I proposed to my husband with an apple when I was delirious with a fever, so obviously I am not the best person to offer advice about what to propose with. :lol:

Regardless, that’s really great for your friend and I’d love to hear how she decides to do it!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son got engaged on NYE and we later found out that future DIL had previously proposed to him - and he’d said NO!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend proposed to her now hubby with a plain gold band, and he was married with it as his wedding band. He's not a jewellery guy, so no multiple rings for him.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that she wants to propose and I think she can propose with anything she wants. A fine watch, a promise ring or even just a fun band. My dh has many bands he wears depending on his mood so just because you propose with a band doesn't mean it has to be the wedding band if you kwim.

Good luck to your friend and don't forget to come back here when she is ready to choose her ER. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son got engaged on NYE and we later found out that future DIL had previously proposed to him - and he’d said NO!

Some guys are old fashioned and the main thing is they are together and now engaged. Win win.:kiss2:

mizzbutterfly

Rough_Rock
I wanted to propose to my Fiancé. And prior to our engagement, when we were talking about the future of our relationship, I mentioned to him that I would love to propose to him. He did NOT like the idea at all, mainly because he is a bit conventional and wanted to be the one to propose. With that said, I bought him a ring (looks just like a wedding band)- he calls it his "man-gagement ring". I gave it t him immediately after he proposed to me LOL- after I stopped crying of course.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
She nixed the engagement band idea, says she wants him to wear a wedding band. I told her maybe propose with the wedding band then like @Dandi mentioned. She is also thinking of how to do it, wants it to be special. He just told her he's tired of the revolving door they have now and wants her to move in. I know marriage is on his mind too, he said something casually to me a couple weekends ago. (Something like he couldn't take a 3rd rejection from her, I think he was fishing for info). I think it's so exciting, she wasted many years trying to make a not right relationship work. So glad to see her so deliriously happy!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My friends birthstone is sapphire, so I was thinking something like this would be cool. Just an idea.
20190509_092731.png

I used to have a wedding band similar to this, also made of tungsten. I hope he doesn't fiddle with electrics while wearing it on his hand or it can be quite painful as I found out :confused2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best friend has had an old boyfriend come back into her life about a year ago. He had proposed to her twice in the distant past, but timing was bad (long story). Now she's free, & they are totally in love again. (They've known each other 30 years). She told me she wants to propose to him this time and has asked my help. Do women who propose offer a ring? Any thoughts or stories appreciated!
this is so excitting
in.this jaded old world its lovelly to have something to be excitted about and im always happy when people get married
what about a signet ring with or without a stone ?
my dad always wore a plane gold engraved signet ring and a wedding ring (on diffetent fingers of course )

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I proposed to my husband with an apple when I was delirious with a fever, so obviously I am not the best person to offer advice about what to propose with. :lol:

Regardless, that’s really great for your friend and I’d love to hear how she decides to do it!
That is hysterical! That must have sealed the deal! Too cute!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two ideas:

1) When my parents got married, in Europe, back in the day, the tradition was to exchange rings that were worn on (I think) the left hand, then switched to the other hand when they got married. My parents’ bands are engraved with their engagement date.

2) propose with a silicone ring that can be worn - or not - until a more traditional ring is presented when they’re married. The silicone ring can be used as a stand-by or utility ring after the wedding. Silicone rings are great for outdoor water or snow sports, when a metal ring might easily be lost.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My recommendation is no jewelry, and to make the proposal towards the end of a romantic evening that included a glass of wine or two!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is hysterical! That must have sealed the deal! Too cute!
Thanks! He said yes though we weren’t ready to be engaged at the time. He proposed with a ring a few years later.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jpie I love your story, so cute! I think I ditto the idea of proposal sans jewelry, just after a nice evening. I don't think it has to be formal, just a declaration of love and wanting to spend rest of life together.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That's a really good question. I think it depends on the guy.

My husband, to this day, will not wear diamonds. Including his dad's diamond wedding band-- which fits him but he will not wear.

Before I was in the trade I had no idea the variety of beautiful men's jewelry out there though. And there is some really gorgeous stuff. Everything from modern clean lines, antique engraved riffle barrels being made into one of a kind rings. And Mokume Gane and Damascus steel... you get the point.

Maybe if he's not a ring guy a really nice ID bracelet? Engraved with his name on the front and maybe something like "marry me?" and the date on the back?

Or like a really nice watch if he's into watches? Again, engraved?

I think I'd want SOMETHING as a placeholder for a ring. I wouldn't want to do it with no jewelry or keepsakes at all unless he's really not into like anything at all.

But definitely whatever it is should be tailored for his personality or interests, KWIM? Like if he was a handy guy or a survivalist a really nice engraved pocket knife or something? There are a lot of options. She knows him and his interests best, so she should start there and see where it takes her, I think.

Like if he loves baseball, propose at a baseball game with a custom embossed ball or something that says, "marry me."

I mean seriously, they make chocolates these days out of molds of people's body parts (don't ask, just google it), so you can pretty much get anything customized or personalized if you look hard enough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results