shape
carat
color
clarity

My friend wants to propose to HIM!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by CHRISTY-DANIELLE, May 8, 2019.

1. CHRISTY-DANIELLE
    Brilliant_Rock

by CHRISTY-DANIELLE » May 8, 2019
    My best friend has had an old boyfriend come back into her life about a year ago. He had proposed to her twice in the distant past, but timing was bad (long story). Now she's free, & they are totally in love again. (They've known each other 30 years). She told me she wants to propose to him this time and has asked my help. Do women who propose offer a ring? Any thoughts or stories appreciated!

2. madelise
    Ideal_Rock

by madelise » May 8, 2019
    She should use a fine watch :)

Tonks, Keeliamira, sarahb and 8 others like this.
  3. bludiva
    Brilliant_Rock

by bludiva » May 8, 2019
    Girl power! I think she should do a ring if she has an idea of what he would like. The one time I've seen a woman propose (in some kind of reality tv show) she presented a band to her beau.

4. CHRISTY-DANIELLE
    Brilliant_Rock

by CHRISTY-DANIELLE » May 9, 2019
    Its unfamiliar territory for me too, but it seems like I've heard of some women proposing, offering a ring, guys wearing an engagement band type ring. He lives in a beach town, very casual place, a casual guy with modest taste. I can't see him wanting a fancy watch or blingy anything.

AV_ likes this.

5. JPie
    Brilliant_Rock

by JPie » May 9, 2019
    I proposed to my husband with an apple when I was delirious with a fever, so obviously I am not the best person to offer advice about what to propose with. :lol:

Regardless, that’s really great for your friend and I’d love to hear how she decides to do it!

6. Austina
    Ideal_Rock

by Austina » May 9, 2019
    My son got engaged on NYE and we later found out that future DIL had previously proposed to him - and he’d said NO!

7. jordyonbass
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by jordyonbass » May 9, 2019
    My wife proposed to me and we got tattoos as engagement rings. It works for some of us...

seaurchin, AV_, bludiva and 3 others like this.
  8. Dandi
    Ideal_Rock

by Dandi » May 9, 2019
    My friend proposed to her now hubby with a plain gold band, and he was married with it as his wedding band. He's not a jewellery guy, so no multiple rings for him.

AV_ and Matthews1127 like this.
  9. TheGarnetGirl
    Brilliant_Rock

by TheGarnetGirl » May 9, 2019
    A sweet simple band for an extraordinary engagement <3

bludiva and Matthews1127 like this.
  10. Matthews1127
    Ideal_Rock

by Matthews1127 » May 9, 2019
    I’d choose a thin band, as a proposal band. His wedding band can be thicker. He can either stack, or switch them out....
    Very exciting! Please come back with details!!! :mrgreen2:

Keeliamira and missy like this.

11. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » May 9, 2019
    I love that she wants to propose and I think she can propose with anything she wants. A fine watch, a promise ring or even just a fun band. My dh has many bands he wears depending on his mood so just because you propose with a band doesn't mean it has to be the wedding band if you kwim.

Good luck to your friend and don't forget to come back here when she is ready to choose her ER. :appl:

Keeliamira and AV_ like this.
  12. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » May 9, 2019
    Some guys are old fashioned and the main thing is they are together and now engaged. Win win.:kiss2:

JrJ and Austina like this.
  13. CHRISTY-DANIELLE
    Brilliant_Rock

My friends birthstone is sapphire, so I was thinking something like this would be cool. Just an idea.
    20190509_092731.png

Keeliamira, Matata, tyty333 and 2 others like this.
  14. mizzbutterfly
    Rough_Rock

by mizzbutterfly » May 9, 2019
    I wanted to propose to my Fiancé. And prior to our engagement, when we were talking about the future of our relationship, I mentioned to him that I would love to propose to him. He did NOT like the idea at all, mainly because he is a bit conventional and wanted to be the one to propose. With that said, I bought him a ring (looks just like a wedding band)- he calls it his "man-gagement ring". I gave it t him immediately after he proposed to me LOL- after I stopped crying of course.

Mamabean, tigertales and Keeliamira like this.
  15. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » May 9, 2019
    IMVHO (!!) I think a watch is a no-no unless one knows the exact watch he's been eye-balling - taste in watches is very personal! :))

Keeliamira, sarahb and missy like this.

16. Bonfire
    Ideal_Rock

by Bonfire » May 9, 2019
    I proposed to my husband 35 years ago. No ring, no watch, just me. What more could he want? :kiss2::lol:

17. CHRISTY-DANIELLE
    Brilliant_Rock

She nixed the engagement band idea, says she wants him to wear a wedding band. I told her maybe propose with the wedding band then like @Dandi mentioned. She is also thinking of how to do it, wants it to be special. He just told her he's tired of the revolving door they have now and wants her to move in. I know marriage is on his mind too, he said something casually to me a couple weekends ago. (Something like he couldn't take a 3rd rejection from her, I think he was fishing for info). I think it's so exciting, she wasted many years trying to make a not right relationship work. So glad to see her so deliriously happy!

18. jordyonbass
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by jordyonbass » May 9, 2019
    I used to have a wedding band similar to this, also made of tungsten. I hope he doesn't fiddle with electrics while wearing it on his hand or it can be quite painful as I found out :confused2:

19. Daisys and Diamonds
    Brilliant_Rock

by Daisys and Diamonds » May 9, 2019
    brave girl
    glad it worked out

20. Daisys and Diamonds
    Brilliant_Rock

by Daisys and Diamonds » May 9, 2019
    this is so excitting
    in.this jaded old world its lovelly to have something to be excitted about and im always happy when people get married
    what about a signet ring with or without a stone ?
    my dad always wore a plane gold engraved signet ring and a wedding ring (on diffetent fingers of course )

21. AV_
    Brilliant_Rock

by AV_ » May 9, 2019
    Does anyone do inside engraving on bands? It is old school... The Question is not too long for this.

Vote for apple though, @JPie !

junebug17, kipari and JPie like this.
  22. CHRISTY-DANIELLE
    Brilliant_Rock

Oh, @AV_ what a wonderful idea! Engraved inside the band.. the question. Or maybe a phrase , like "At Last". Can't wait to discuss with her!

Daisys and Diamonds and AV_ like this.
  23. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » May 12, 2019
    That is hysterical! That must have sealed the deal! Too cute!

24. Mamabean
    Ideal_Rock

by Mamabean » May 12, 2019
    OMG @Austina! Glad it worked out! :P2

25. VRBeauty
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by VRBeauty » May 12, 2019
    Two ideas:

1) When my parents got married, in Europe, back in the day, the tradition was to exchange rings that were worn on (I think) the left hand, then switched to the other hand when they got married. My parents’ bands are engraved with their engagement date.

2) propose with a silicone ring that can be worn - or not - until a more traditional ring is presented when they’re married. The silicone ring can be used as a stand-by or utility ring after the wedding. Silicone rings are great for outdoor water or snow sports, when a metal ring might easily be lost.

Mamabean likes this.
  26. prs
    Brilliant_Rock

by prs » May 12, 2019
    My recommendation is no jewelry, and to make the proposal towards the end of a romantic evening that included a glass of wine or two!

voce likes this.
  27. JPie
    Brilliant_Rock

by JPie » May 12, 2019
    Thanks! He said yes though we weren’t ready to be engaged at the time. He proposed with a ring a few years later.

partgypsy and Mamabean like this.
  28. Dancing Fire
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Dancing Fire » May 12, 2019
    Yes, the bigger the diamond the better...;))

29. partgypsy
    Ideal_Rock

by partgypsy » May 12, 2019
    Jpie I love your story, so cute! I think I ditto the idea of proposal sans jewelry, just after a nice evening. I don't think it has to be formal, just a declaration of love and wanting to spend rest of life together.

30. LaylaR
    Shiny_Rock
    Trade

by LaylaR » May 12, 2019
    That's a really good question. I think it depends on the guy.

My husband, to this day, will not wear diamonds. Including his dad's diamond wedding band-- which fits him but he will not wear.

Before I was in the trade I had no idea the variety of beautiful men's jewelry out there though. And there is some really gorgeous stuff. Everything from modern clean lines, antique engraved riffle barrels being made into one of a kind rings. And Mokume Gane and Damascus steel... you get the point.

Maybe if he's not a ring guy a really nice ID bracelet? Engraved with his name on the front and maybe something like "marry me?" and the date on the back?

Or like a really nice watch if he's into watches? Again, engraved?

I think I'd want SOMETHING as a placeholder for a ring. I wouldn't want to do it with no jewelry or keepsakes at all unless he's really not into like anything at all.

But definitely whatever it is should be tailored for his personality or interests, KWIM? Like if he was a handy guy or a survivalist a really nice engraved pocket knife or something? There are a lot of options. She knows him and his interests best, so she should start there and see where it takes her, I think.

Like if he loves baseball, propose at a baseball game with a custom embossed ball or something that says, "marry me."

I mean seriously, they make chocolates these days out of molds of people's body parts (don't ask, just google it), so you can pretty much get anything customized or personalized if you look hard enough.