shape
carat
color
clarity

My first zircon/coloured stone/antique/stone of any kind!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all. I have been lurking for a long time and have learned so much (thank you!), I finally felt confident enough to pull the trigger on a stone I'm considering for a ring. I'd appreciate your thoughts please.
I'm smitten by zircos. I saw one on auction site back in May. It was huge (+14mm) but old and a bit 'shabby' so that made the size ok. I also wear my gran's art deco wedding ring, so I told myself a story that the auction ring could have belonged to my gran. The colour was the paler blue that to me, was to die for. But being an auction site and non-returnable, it was too much of a risk.

I have never seen a zircon in real life, nor bought coloured stones, nor even diamonds for that matter, loose or in a ring.

I bought this from Etsy and it arrived today.
In direct sun it threw off lots of fire. Wish I had been able to caputure it but by the time we got the hang of filming the sun had diappeared (did I mention we live in Scotland).
A bit less sun
In the shade

It's a blue zircon pin from 1910. I'd say it measures 10mm x 8mm and cost me £130GBP. I'm considering it as a ring and would ask the local jeweller if he could melt down the gold/pin and remake as a band instead. That would cost max £100.

What do you think? I have no real life experience to compare it to.

Out of the box the colour was slightly - clearer(?) than I was expecting, but I do prefer the paler blue. I also thought I'd be able to see the petals, but to be fair, the online pictures are magified so maybe that was unrealistc of me. The size is perfect and I think a white metal compliments it more than the yellow.

I'm kind of excited, but don't want to get too excited in case the pin goes back. I'm a very practical person. I only bought the pin for this stone and in the hope that I'd be able to repurpose as a ring. Eventually I'd like a tulip setting or even one of the dahlia settings but that would be very expensive which brings me to my most practical question. For £130GBP ($160 USD) are there better zircons to be had?

IMG_20190726_140907705.jpg

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
More photos,

Inside, next to the window.
IMG_20190726_130714381.jpg

Living room, away from all windows
IMG_20190726_130654607.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool, you got a great deal I love conversion pieces!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looove zirkons and yours is a beauty!
You indeed got a great deal.
The blue green is stunning and so is the sparkle.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you got a great deal. Zircons are one of my all time favorite stones.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a very attractive color an the faceting looks nice too! :appl:
Great first CS purchase.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @arkieb1, @Acinom and @lovedogs I'm beginning to get more exicted now. I wish the sun would come back out so I can try and record better what I saw earlier.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Stone Hunter. The facets all look clean to the naked eye but there is some wear visible under magnification. I think the stone has been protected more because of it being mounted as a pin brooch. There is a chip along the girdle of maybe 1mm in length but because the stone is slightly oval shaped it took me a while to notice it. The chip is along the 'tip' of the oval, at the bottom.

IMG-20190726-WA0004.jpeg

The pattern within the stone is much clearer to me than in the photos, it's difficult to get the camera to reproduce what I can see.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! You got a great deal out of your first colored stone purchase :appl:. Glad you're now a member and no longer a lurker. =)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @voce (I've been on pricescope every other day for the past 5 years but it always feels a bit rude to just jump into other people's conversations. I'll need to get over that =)2)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s very pretty, but that’s a new stone in an old pin, just so you know.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Really interesting @T L , can I ask what brings you to that conclusion?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a lovely piece! :appl:

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you GilderPoss, I also love the opal in your avatar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results