shape
carat
color
clarity

My first try on restringing

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
So I ordered some supplies (made in China stuff) for restringing pearl necklaces. First try on an older necklace which I bought over 10 years ago. It had always been too long so I took out four pearls this time. I only knotted the last three pearls from each end. Love the shortened length. The holes are too small and I struggled threading through the pearls. Will get thinner thread and hope I can do a better job next time.

2C2F05D7-683E-4A5F-9716-6AE16A54809D.jpeg

1E9F635B-4353-4E27-850E-90E0AD1A5325.jpeg

4ED77C5C-8178-4F47-B620-DCBFDE683487.jpeg

C1053521-2165-4495-BAB4-4ED8C6C60296.jpeg

Last edited:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
So I ordered some supplies (made in China stuff) for restringing pearl necklaces. First try on an older necklace which I bought over 10 years ago. It had always been too long so I took out four pearls this time. I only knotted the last three pearls from each end. Love the shortened length. The holes are too small and I struggled threading through the pearls. Will get thinner thread and hope I can do a better job next time.

2C2F05D7-683E-4A5F-9716-6AE16A54809D.jpeg

1E9F635B-4353-4E27-850E-90E0AD1A5325.jpeg

4ED77C5C-8178-4F47-B620-DCBFDE683487.jpeg

C1053521-2165-4495-BAB4-4ED8C6C60296.jpeg

Looks like the length is quite nice! Nice size of pearls for winter as well.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done
i think you did a great job
that will have more than paid for the supplies if you had to get it proffesional done

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great! I always find the last 3-4 pearls are the hardest for me to do right.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
So I didn’t do a good job the first time. After wearing for two times, the thread had loosen and there is a gap between pearls. Since I purchased another spool of thread, I redo the necklace tonight and this time I tied knots between all pearls. I am able to make the knots very small and close to the pearls but I have no idea how to tie the clasp in a better way. But this is only my second time doing it. I am hoping after more practice, I can make a second income out of it.

Before restring…
C754A67D-2592-442E-97D5-CBCF7EB0DCB6.jpeg

Work in progress. It is getting easier and easier.
6157FE2C-C216-4EFB-86AE-75E6D88A41F7.jpeg

B8A13BFF-9788-434A-A2D5-1EE26343413D.jpeg

1AA8C0EE-7850-409C-89DE-B9DD8E4EB9BA.jpeg

3474CAB0-7F70-410E-BDFF-638E9C2D9410.jpeg

The top is from China, the bottom is from Japan.
6116EF89-5247-43C8-95DD-7AB1BCBD4D58.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I do is back-knot through the last 3 pearls.

For the last 4 pearls, don't knot between them. Just string them on. Then string on your clasp, and then put the needle back through the first pearl after the clasp and make a knot. Then pass the needle through the 2nd pearl and make a knot, then the 3rd pearl and make a knot. Then I put the needle through the 4th pearl but I don't make a knot, just trim the thread, thus hiding the thread end inside the 4th pearl from the end.

To be able to do this, your last few pearls have to have a wide enough drill hole that you can pass the needle through a 2nd time. Test your pearls first to be sure their drill holes are wide enough to do this. If not consider either widening the hole a bit, or using a slightly thinner thread, or use a thinner needle.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

For the last 4 pearls, don't knot between them. Just string them on. Then string on your clasp, and then put the needle back through the first pearl after the clasp and make a knot. Then pass the needle through the 2nd pearl and make a knot, then the 3rd pearl and make a knot. Then I put the needle through the 4th pearl but I don't make a knot, just trim the thread, thus hiding the thread end inside the 4th pearl from the end.

To be able to do this, your last few pearls have to have a wide enough drill hole that you can pass the needle through a 2nd time. Test your pearls first to be sure their drill holes are wide enough to do this. If not consider either widening the hole a bit, or using a slightly thinner thread, or use a thinner needle.

Wow, thank you for the detailed description!

Unfortunately the holes aren’t wide enough. I have problem threading through some pearls with double thread. Can try thinner thread next time. I am using 0.235mm, how thin I can go and still consider to be safe?

Guess I cannot make a second income yet.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You will need to use french wire/gimp for professional re-stringing too. Silk should be big enough that the knots don't disappear into the drill holes. You will probably need to learn how to enlarge the drill holes.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your thread is quite thin already, I see. Thinner than what I use.

I use Serafil Medium (size 30) which is 0.37mm, and I double it. I find it thin enough for all but the smallest pearls, in which case I use size 40 which is 0.32mm. That is still larger than what you are using. So the drill holes in your pearls must be unusually small.

I'm afraid I am coming to the same conclusion as Pearlescence-- you probably need to enlarge the drill holes in your end pearls.

Also, I agree that using gimp (French wire) would produce a better appearance at the clasp and protect the thread.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

this is great !
thank you
i can actually understand this !
can i slightly thread jack and ask is this how i would do a rope with no clasp ?
i want to use the two thread method

@fussykiki you are doing great
you inspire me
keep going, dont they say practice makes perfect !
you can buy a thingy (a pearl reamer) to enlarge drill holes

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a detailed description of how to string an endless necklace on my stringing tutorial on the other pearl forum. It's not hard.

Per PS rules I am not allowed to post a link, but if you google these terms you will find it:
"Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro"

Then go to page 3 of the thread, post #42, which is where my instructions start for an endless necklace. (The post number is on the upper right of each post.)

If anything is not clear ask, and I will try to clarify.=)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a detailed description of how to string an endless necklace on my stringing tutorial on the other pearl forum. It's not hard.

Per PS rules I am not allowed to post a link, but if you google these terms you will find it:
"Stringing Tutorial with photos: Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro"

Then go to page 3 of the thread, post #42, which is where my instructions start for an endless necklace. (The post number is on the upper right of each post.)

If anything is not clear ask, and I will try to clarify.=)2

thank you
much appreated

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
It is lucky that threads and tools are relatively cheap here. I can buy different stuff to try. Thanks all for your advices!

BoonGrrl

Rough_Rock
What a nice job you are doing. It's a learning process and I am also learning to string pearls. I have been using a French wire on the ends and I double back with the silk on the last 3/first three pearls. If the pearl hole is not big enough, I use a reamer to enlarge the hole inside. This is my second try. 20240203_182814.jpg

Keep practicing!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results