shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Super-ideal: 0.52 H/SI1 CBI - review and lots of pics!

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi All!

So, having read so much about super ideals on this forum, a few weeks back I made up my mind and decided to go for it. I've been studying and learning about diamonds for a while and I told myself my experience would be incomplete without seeing a top cut stone in person lol. And since there are no super ideal vendors where I live it was a perfect excuse to buy :D Anyways! I already knew my first super ideal would be a Crafted by Infinity, so I checked what was available at HPD for my budget (I wanted to keep it at USD 2,000 max) and I ended up purchasing a 0.52ct, H/SI1 diamond. I was choosing between two similar stones and had a lot of very detailed questions and I cannot praise @LaylaR, @Wink and Jamie enough for being extremely responsive, helpful and patient during the whole process. It was a real pleasure dealing with them =)2

Not having seen a super ideal before, I was really excited. I was looking forward to what I was about to discover and to examining it from all angles in all lights. I was also very curious to compare it to my other diamonds. Two of them are not really comparison material as they are not particularly well cut (2.7 & 5.6 HCA scores) so it was mostly for the fun of it. The third one though is a beautiful GIA Triple X G/VS1 (60.9%, 56%, 34.5 ca, 40.6 pa, 0.7 HCA) and I was particularly interested to see this one side by side with the Infinity. I have taken lots of shots and some videos (including two in slow motion) for you guys to enjoy, but here is what I have observed:

The first thing that I noticed immediately after opening the box was brightness. It is truly striking, literally edge to edge.

The symmetry is phenomenal. The pattern is super clear and the contrast is amazing without any darkening the center whatsoever.

The clarity is spectacular. The grade is based on twinning wisps and there is also a crystal and a cloud. I can't see a thing, not even through IS or ASET where I would normally spot any inclusions that I cannot immediately see through the loupe. It is actually embarrassing considering I am a GIA diamond graduate... :oops:

The fire and sparkle are incredible. The flashes are abundant, vivid and colorful. The play of light and movement are mesmerizing, I've been trying to define it and something like 'liquid fire' comes to mind lol! My husband actually used the word "blinding" when I asked him to look at the diamond under spotlight. And my 9-year old son pointed at Infinity when I showed him a photo of four diamonds together and asked which one has more sparkle.

The diamond faces up white in most of lighting conditions. That said, I didn't quite find it facing up whiter that its color grade and when side by side with my G, I can clearly see a difference in color. There was one exception against a light beige background outside where it did face up whiter, but apart from that I'd say it looks a solid H.

All in all, with my not-so-well trained eyes, I can definitely see obvious superiority in brightness and contrast. There is no light obstruction that I sometimes notice in my Triple X (which does have a shallower pavilion and somewhat fatter mains). I can also see a difference in fire and sparkle, even if that difference is less striking as opposed to that in brightness; I think it is best visible in the first slow motion video. It is without doubt an incredibly beautiful diamond. A total stunner!

I will post the pictures separately. The Infinity is second from the left/bottom, placed in the ring holder (that HPD have so kindly provided) while the other diamonds are in their mountings. Also, those have been cleaned to the best of my ability with a professional cleaning solution (another gift from HPD :love:) but it's been a while since they last saw an ultrasonic. I am also attaching IS images of all diamonds, just fyg. There are also a few shots with only Infinity and Triple X side by side.

Hope you enjoy the photos!
Great day to all,
Best
Katya

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Erm, how do I upload the videos? It keeps telling me the file is too large

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great write up and pictures, thank you for posting! :))

Do come back when you've had a chance to set it and wear it out and about - I find they are surprising in all manner of lights :)

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ok, think I managed with the videos - not sure about the quality though, doesn't look sharp enough unfortunately..

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great write up and pictures, thank you for posting! :))

Do come back when you've had a chance to set it and wear it out and about - I find they are surprising in all manner of lights :)

Thanks and will do :)

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Very detailed and informative review! CBI gives the most comprehensive suite of goodies for you to evaluate your diamond purchase!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations; you have made an amazing choice! :love: CBI diamonds are truly something special, and you absolutely can't go wrong with the HPD team; they are equally incredible! I can't wait to hear more of your impressions and how you decide to set this beauty! Enjoy!!! :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!:love: Cannot wait to hear about your beautiful diamond and see more photos as you get to know her. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a stunner!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the wonderful write up!! This is exactly the kind of thing that helps people decide if they can personally see the difference between "super ideal" vs "ideal". You are awesome for taking the time to take the pics and videos!

I love your CBI!!! I feel as though it's brighter and "livelier" than the GIA XXX, but both are beautiful. Congrats !!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! :love: Congrats!

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the wonderful write up!! This is exactly the kind of thing that helps people decide if they can personally see the difference between "super ideal" vs "ideal". You are awesome for taking the time to take the pics and videos!

I love your CBI!!! I feel as though it's brighter and "livelier" than the GIA XXX, but both are beautiful. Congrats !!!

Thank you, that's exactly why I took so many shots! And as biased as I am towards my dearly beloved XXX, I tried to stay objective lol and yes I see what you see :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, that's exactly why I took so many shots! And as biased as I am towards my dearly beloved XXX, I tried to stay objective lol and yes I see what you see :)

Your XXX is also seriously gorgeous! You have good reason to love it! :lickout:

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your kind words, so sweet of you :) I'm still contemplating the setting. I'm definitely gonna go for a ring because I want to be able to stare at her as much as I want lol! But something suitable for daily wear. For now I'm inclined towards some sort of open ring but need to ponder on design a bit more. Will keep you posted!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
That CBI is perfection.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful comparison photos!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! :love:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aren’t you a gem to go through all the trouble of posting this! Thanks!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results