shape
carat
color
clarity

my first spess

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
4.37cts, very orange, not yellow not red. It is my first spess, and I'm glad it is quite large and vivid.
It is eye clean face up, although with near examination, you can see tiny bubbles.
I do have one puzzle, seems like some stones are sticky and some are not, is it due to bad polish?
By "sticky" I mean it is not as smooth and shiny and not as easy to remove the finger prints. I have a sphene that touches like that, so does this spess.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
It looks nice! The saturation looks good too! I've found that a good orange needs to look orange in direct sun. Just because it looks orange in diffuse lighting doesn't mean it will always be orange :D

And I've found that garnets just seem to get dirtier. My tsav (granted it has polish issues) attracts dirt like it's its job! But a quick hand wash and the ring sparkles again :D

What are your plans for it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean. Not as smooth and shiny does sound like it isn't polished as finely.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a great color that has become much harder to find in Thailand markets than it was just a few years ago. Best regards, Lee

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1346148534|3258385 said:
It looks nice! The saturation looks good too! I've found that a good orange needs to look orange in direct sun. Just because it looks orange in diffuse lighting doesn't mean it will always be orange :D

And I've found that garnets just seem to get dirtier. My tsav (granted it has polish issues) attracts dirt like it's its job! But a quick hand wash and the ring sparkles again :D

What are your plans for it?

This spess holds its color very well, it looks orange under any lighting, quite amazing.
I don't have any plans, just collecting.
I have owned this stone for just a few days, and it sits in a box, so no comments on the collecting dust part, but i think it will...:(sad

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1346152126|3258396 said:
Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean. Not as smooth and shiny does sound like it isn't polished as finely.

That's what I guess, the touch of this stone is similar to when you put on hand cream, it just feels like something greasy is between your finger and the stone..I took a sapphire out and compare these 2 stones, the sapphire is so shiny on the surface, and so smooth, if I left any finger prints, I can just wipe it gently and it's gone, but with this spess, I have to wipe with a little more pressure, and it does feel not as smooth as the sapphire. So i guess it doesn't have a very good polish. Was wondering whether I should send it to a cutter to get a better "Make"

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much do you trust the vendor? Is there the possibility of the garnet being oiled but not disclosed? I've heard of garnets now being clarity enhanced but not disclosed at the time of the sale.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1346170085|3258556 said:
How much do you trust the vendor? Is there the possibility of the garnet being oiled but not disclosed? I've heard of garnets now being clarity enhanced but not disclosed at the time of the sale.

I have no clue about the vendor, I bought this at the intergem show.
They have tons of spess garnet, most of them are shiny and nicely polished, but small. This one is sitting in a fogotten corner, not as sparkly due to tiny bubble inclusions that are hardly to see, but large and vivid. I just know that's my stone. I can't say for sure but I think it's the polish thing, because I have 2 sphenes that feel the same.(they oiled sphene? ) And all the other spess garnets are normal polished. Maybe vendors don't do nice polish because of their low value?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know the origin? Do you think its Loliondo? The way you describe it and its color, make it sound like it could be...

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1346178649|3258657 said:
Do you know the origin? Do you think its Loliondo? The way you describe it and its color, make it sound like it could be...

I didn't ask. Actually I havn't even heard of Loliondo..It doesn't bother me where it's from as long as it's beautiful

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Lee Little|1346161088|3258467 said:
That is a great color that has become much harder to find in Thailand markets than it was just a few years ago. Best regards, Lee

Thanks Lee, color and size make me purchase it, and the clarity is pleasing as well.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Do you feel comfortable sharing the vendor's name? Many here frequent the Intergem shows and may have some experience with the vendor.

And it's a very pretty looking stone btw. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results