shape
carat
color
clarity

My first purchase - Mahenge Garnet

yarntea

Rough_Rock
I posted a question a while back about help with buying a garnet and I've bought one! Thanks to those that chimed in. I hope this picture comes through properly. This stone was actually suggested by someone (Chrono?) on my previous thread. I enjoyed dealing with Gene at Precision Gems. I found him very helpful with my questions, honest and fair. I would happily buy from him again (I may be on the lookout for a teal Montana garnet one of these days :naughty: ).

1829.jpg

I'm also going to post a couple ring designs I am considering working from. I decided I want something fairly simple; I love ornate designs, but realize I prefer to look at them and would likely not wear them. I envy those brave folks who can go all out!

I'd love any ideas about balance and symmetry. I like the look of a thinner bezel, as in the last picture. And I think the one ring's diamonds look a bit small? Also what to look for in a good jeweller. I don't know if this goes for jewellery, but other goods and services seem to be a bit more pricey north of the border - anyone know? I also need to buy side diamonds, but perhaps I should post on the other part of this site, unless it is OK to ask here as they are part of a coloured gemstone ring.

boucheron-vintage-engagement-ring-her14-side-view-1-500x500.jpg

097b420609787711f0a5f088b6360688.jpg

058ceae6fa2755b32b3aa12b05a20a19.jpg

Thanks!

yarntea

Rough_Rock
Ack. I meant Montana sapphire, not garnet!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a beautiful stone, Yarntea. I find the salmon coloured mahenge garnets are so interesting. Yours is such a nice colour and of course, a great cut too. It must be so sparkly. I love your ideas for settings, but I am very partial to bezels, so.... =)
Congratulations on your first purchase.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stonw :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know the dimensions of the garnet, therefore not able to work out the size of the side stones.

How about CS as side stones instead of diamonds?

If white or near white is desired, one could consider Sapphire, Zircon, Danburite and Topaz.

Personally, I cannot afford diamond traps side stones and opted for white Topaz and Morganite for two of my significant CSs, as they would cost a heck of a lot more than the main stones due to their sizes!

Attached is a pic of my natural blue Asscher Topaz with white Topaz sides, all cut by Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems, the main stone is about 10mm square, can't remember the exact ring size, however it is at least Size 11 US:

naturalblueasschertopazring_05.jpg

DK :))

yarntea

Rough_Rock
Thank you Garnetgirl and Elizabeth R. I can't wait to get it.

dk168 I have considered some other colourless sidestones - they look beautiful on your ring. I was looking at colourless sapphires, but do they have the same sparkle? I really do just want them to accent the main stone, so would have to be without colour. I also happen to have one old minecut diamond (5mm) from my great grandmother. I phoned a jeweller today who said he could probably find a match, so I would only have to buy one.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White Sapphires and Zircons are used as affordable alternatives to diamond melees.

If one can afford diamonds then go for diamonds.

Here is a pic of my G/H VS diamond stud next to a precision cut white Spinel from Jeff Davies. The Spinel is not as sparkly for certain, however, it is a lot less than the diamond which is nearly 0.5ct.

jdsilverspinelanddiamondstud.jpg

DK :))

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding a lovely stone! I love all the variation in colors of this garnet find..

Just in case you would consider a CS skde stone (Like for the 3-stone bezel ring), i saw these as possible inspiration (they're morganite, which is prob the closest we'll get in inspiration photos)

This is with light blue topez, though a zircon or aqua might do the trick:
image_1220.jpg

And here's one with green sapphire (though a mint garnet might also work:
image_1221.jpg

On the pale blue front, this might be interesting (she says she had a smaller round pair at one point.. That would fit the ring design above better if it was available):
https://www.etsy.com/listing/454715512/trillion-shaped-copper-bearing?ref=shop_home_active_78

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results