shape
carat
color
clarity

My first informed purchase!! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
This is my first informed diamond purchase. I am very pleased with the deal I got! This is an anniversary piece so I was trying to avoid the "engagement" look, but I still wanted the bulk of my budget to go to one nice stone (instead of 3 stones.). So, this is what I got.
.77ct Cushion Brilliant G VS1. It was listed as "ideal" cut, but as the crown angles are greater than 40 degrees, I know this is just a "name". (GIA dossier) However, I was going for a good size appearance, and I think this faces up closer to a 1ct. It is set in a 14k WG setting with three rows of pave accented with milgrain. (about 65 pts of pave) (I''m using the three rows to indicate the "past, present, future" instead of three stones. I haven''t quite figured out how to take pics of diamonds, though. These are the best ones!! I had to go to the darkest room I could find, and face the ring away from the light. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the pics clearer, welcome!!

BTW-thanks to all who helped educate me. That would be to current postings and postings from years ago which I was lucky enough to find!!

Oh, I paid $2775 for the completed ring. Like I said, I am happy wiht it, but if you see anything to be concerned about, PLEASE tell me. I do have a 30 return period on it. THANKS!!
36.gif

firstinformedpurchase1.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
another pic

firstinformedpurchase2.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
last one. Again, sorry for the poor quality, but any input would be greatly appreciated!!
35.gif

firstinformedpurchase3.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s bootiful! and very sparkly.
31.gif

Congrats, you did good.
36.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
BTW-this is a size 9, so it really does have great finger coverage.
And the center stone measures 6.45 x 5.11 x3.15.

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty! I love the symbolism of the 3 rows of diamonds for past/present/future! Great idea!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. Although, I do have to admit, I can''t believe the money I''ve spent on "great" diamonds that turned out to be just okay.
19.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty, that cushion looks beautiful!
Congrats!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
figured out the macro setting!!
34.gif

firstinformedpurchase4.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
with direct light

firstinformedpurchase5.jpg

ajdubya126

Rough_Rock
Good purchase! It''s absolutely beautiful!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pictures using the Macro setting please. I''d like to see the facet pattern. I too like the idea behind the three rows of pave! Very nice.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My macro setting is not good enough to get any closer than this. I tried getting the table to reflect so you can at least see some of the faceting. (BTW-I need a new camera to take pics of my new bling!!)

firstinformedpurchase8.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
another. The facets are cut large around the table so I''m getting nice broad flash. (which I love, because I love asschers so much)

firstinformedpurchase9.jpg

pinkerton101

Rough_Rock
OMG that is one fantastic looking ring! Would you mind sharing a bit more on how you feel you got such a good deal? (vendors, custom work, how long the entire process took etc...) What you paid seems more than well worth it in my opinion. I must say that my engagement ring search feels extremly frustrating at times, but you have officially given me hope!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Ring looks beautiful! Nice buy!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely! Where did you get the diamond and setting?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I got this ring thru a non-PS vendor. I was nervous, but I did as much research on the company as I could before purchasing. It was thru ADIAMOR (adiamor.com) I found them when I was looking at Blue Nile. Adiamor is/was on the Forbes List, so I felt comfortable with them.

Their site is very easy to search through and they have a wide selection of diamonds. The big downfall is no pics of the specific diamonds. I called and told them what I wanted and what I wanted to pay after I had picked out the setting. They directed me o 4 different cushions. I chose this particular one because they described the larger faceting on top with a nice spread. I was looking for something that appeared close to the 1ct mark. Then, the woman talked to the "diamond guy" to get his opinion on which of the stones he thought looked best in the setting. SO, although I am new to online diamond purchases, I do think I got a great deal!

I just got back from the appraisal. The jeweler who appraised this ring said he could have made it for me for around $4000. (I didn''t tell him what I paid) And, that most places would probably go for around $5200-$5700. The only discrepancy he found with the GIA dossier that accompanied the ring was the clarity rating. The GIA listed a VS1, the appraiser listed a VS2. Everything else was spot on, and he said the pave looks nice.

So, I think I got a good deal and good quality. I would order through ADIAMOR again.
Oh, it took about a week to make, then they ship FedEx overnight delivery. They have the tracking posted until it''s in your hands. It arrived in it''s box (a polished wooden box) in a bubble mailer in a FedEx box. It came with the invoice and GIA dossier. They accept credit cards and bank transfers. You save 1.5% if you pay by bank transfer.

OOH! Look! Something Shiny!
30.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the new photos. It''s a very nice ring.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results