shape
carat
color
clarity

My first GSS and silver blue akoya studs…

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feeling a little self conscious about posting my first pearl thread. Thanks to the amazing @yssie, I took the leap of faith and committed to my first pair of GSS and silver blue akoya pearl studs…and they’re amazing. She helped pick these and needless to say I had complete faith in her. Essentially she played her tune and I followed. Straight to the pics. And I need @yasie to share the size and some background about the vendor. And then a couple random shots of my Mikimoto choker. I’ve had it since I got married but never wear it. I’m not used to the weight.

50B3E854-493C-4C9B-B071-F82B6F7C2DBE.jpeg 2B921422-1C07-426D-885D-0EFABC16735C.jpeg 22768C8E-F7EC-4822-A492-FD92825EC45A.jpeg C866F5E6-7129-4CCF-B3A9-8D8BEEE82CF5.jpeg 41478916-DEA9-453B-B21D-32421226B1DE.jpeg E5F1D0E8-48AF-4A40-9A4F-94AD26275D86.jpeg 0ABD614C-71F8-40C3-9041-7A9B6756E9B4.jpeg 43CE565E-F82D-4933-8976-BF395C32035D.jpeg F1D672F8-9088-4B64-A564-4FA4C3AEAEEF.jpeg FC3E0DD8-C457-4306-9525-252E9C7819E7.jpeg 788AB593-05EE-4567-8D39-508F4AAA5EEB.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some comments about wearing studs. They are easy and elegant. The silvers matcc everything and the GSS are stunning and make a statement yet are still understated and elegant. This would never have happened if it wasn’t for @yssie . I’m just feeling privileged that she shared her time, passion and knowledge with me. And I swear her Tahitians have me daydreaming.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
They are lovely @LLJsmom I particularly like the akoya pearls on you! I love love love pearls but I don't know how to wear them lol. Those tahitians are also lovely! I might have to ask Santa for some pearls this year :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look amazing on you!!!

Ugh. Work summons. I'll be back!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, @LLJsmom - they're lovely!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:bigsmile: There's a story to this!!

A few months ago a PSer who is also a friend off-forum bought some blue akoya rounds from Takahashi. She shared some photos when she received them, and her pics and descriptions made a few of us pretty much instantaneously need some just like hers!! And then we few told a few other friends, who told a few other friends... All told my OG PS friend is basically single-handedly responsible for nine PSers and two non-PSers (that I'm aware of!!) buying blue akoya for earrings from Takahashi. She should get a commission :lol:

So the short verison of why I'm yakking on in someone else's thread. Shipping from Takahashi is a flat fee, and it's not a small fee, so sometimes some folks combine orders. I happened to be the one to buy the May loot so I got a sneak peek at all the baby blues - lucky me!! :cool2: Sharing this pic with permission from all relevant parties - this is half of our blue akoya order, 8.5-9mm and 9-9.5mm Madama quality rounds (that actually are Madama quality, I verified against my certified Madama) :love:

STUDS_1.png

Can I rave about Takahashi for a bit? ::) I've bought from them multiple times now and have had wonderful experiences!! They used to sell only wholesale to retailers, but when COVID shut the pearl shows and their other normal platforms down they changed their sales model and started offering their pearls direct to customer via IG. They're a very small operation, despite the quantity of pearls they deal, and there's actually only one rep who speaks English so she's the person who handles all Western requests - I seriously can't imagine her workload!

The rep who handles us English folks - she's a sweetheart. She's willing to get as many photos and videos as you ask for. If you ask for just one pearl, or one matched pair, she'll give that request as much attention as if you ask for a full lot. Some of my orders have gotten pretty complicated and she's never let anything slip through the cracks - all bits and bobs are always accounted for. If you say you want "strong pink overtone" then you'll get options with strong pink overtone to pick from, if you say you want "high luster" then you'll get high luster. @MakingTheGrade has talked about their sales policies in other threads - they accept payment only via wire transfer, and there's no option to return, so you've got to know what you want, and you've got to feel comfortable interpreting their photos and videos, and you've got to buy with the acknowledgment that if for some reason the piece or pearl doesn't work out there's no undo button... But if you're good with all of that - they have lovely pearls and oh my goodness, they really do offer the sort of value for money that makes you wonder what's wrong because it's too good to be true!! I've not encountered anything close to their pricing for the quality you get.

An example of how honest Takahashi is and how seriously Takahashi takes quality control. This blew me away. @LLJsmom I hope you don't mind me sharing!! Those champagne GSSs, @LLJsmom picked them loose from a card and Takahashi drilled them for her. She wanted unblemished pearls and Takahashi defines "unblemished" as "squeaky clean once drilled". One of the pearls has one fishbite, and when they drilled they didn't go directly through this blemish. Our rep sent me a note right away apologizing for the error, and offered to either cancel this portion of the order or refund this one pearl if we wanted to keep the pair. Keep in mind - this is an 11mm pearl. That fishbite is 100% invisible when worn. The cup in this pic is 3mm, using a 6mm cup rather would cover it up. And once I got the pearls I understood - this pearl has some colour zoning, if they'd drilled even slightly off-axis to mask the blemish the pair wouldn't have been as great a face-up match.

...Folks. When was the last time you met someone who defines "unblemished" as "drills wholly clean" by default? Not face-up clean. Not "stuff could be lurking under the cup". Zero margin for error as the basic standard. And quality control thorough enough to spot any deviations before they reach the customer, and very fair remediation options. Blown. Away. For real. Takahashi's customer service is excellent. And I SO admire this sort of commitment to #DoingItRight!! :appl::love: :appl:

And @LLJsmom's got a seriously amazing pair of GSS. Seriously amazing. Same lot as my lighter GSSs, but hers are more lustrous and more pink. I'm kicking myself for not buying more of those golds!!

1623825991549.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your strand is so pretty @LLJsmom. So glad it's getting some neck time! You have a nice neck for pearls. I mean that in the most non-creeper-ey way. :love:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feeling a little self conscious about posting my first pearl thread. Thanks to the amazing @yssie, I took the leap of faith and committed to my first pair of GSS and silver blue akoya pearl studs…and they’re amazing. She helped pick these and needless to say I had complete faith in her. Essentially she played her tune and I followed. Straight to the pics. And I need @yasie to share the size and some background about the vendor. And then a couple random shots of my Mikimoto choker. I’ve had it since I got married but never wear it. I’m not used to the weight.

50B3E854-493C-4C9B-B071-F82B6F7C2DBE.jpeg 2B921422-1C07-426D-885D-0EFABC16735C.jpeg 22768C8E-F7EC-4822-A492-FD92825EC45A.jpeg C866F5E6-7129-4CCF-B3A9-8D8BEEE82CF5.jpeg 41478916-DEA9-453B-B21D-32421226B1DE.jpeg E5F1D0E8-48AF-4A40-9A4F-94AD26275D86.jpeg 0ABD614C-71F8-40C3-9041-7A9B6756E9B4.jpeg 43CE565E-F82D-4933-8976-BF395C32035D.jpeg F1D672F8-9088-4B64-A564-4FA4C3AEAEEF.jpeg FC3E0DD8-C457-4306-9525-252E9C7819E7.jpeg 788AB593-05EE-4567-8D39-508F4AAA5EEB.jpeg

Oh wow !
Yssie (as usual) did good
That luster is to die for

Something i found after recently purchasing a pearl necklase i thought was too tight on first wear was how it loosened up
now mine is a cheap (including some dyed) freshie but either way a pearl necklase being unworn is a crying waste of money
I wore mine continually for a week (took it off when shampooing hair) and even slept in it
I never enjoyed the weight of any 'bead' necklase regardless of the size or bead/pearl etc
but i also got used to it in less than two days
im wearing it now and forgot it was even on.

You could also get a couple of inches of extra pearls and have the Mikimoto restrung
Please preserve with the Mikimoto
Its so beautiful and was so exspensive
Pearls need to be worn to prolong their life
Where are you keeping yours ?
They don't like to be in overly dry conditions

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile: There's a story to this!!

A few months ago a PSer who is also a friend off-forum bought some blue akoya rounds from Takahashi. She shared some photos when she received them, and her pics and descriptions made a few of us pretty much instantaneously need some just like hers!! And then we few told a few other friends, who told a few other friends... All told my OG PS friend is basically single-handedly responsible for nine PSers and two non-PSers (that I'm aware of!!) buying blue akoya for earrings from Takahashi. She should get a commission :lol:

So the short verison of why I'm yakking on in someone else's thread. Shipping from Takahashi is a flat fee, and it's not a small fee, so sometimes some folks combine orders. I happened to be the one to buy the May loot so I got a sneak peek at all the baby blues - lucky me!! :cool2: Sharing this pic with permission from all relevant parties - this is half of our blue akoya order, 8.5-9mm and 9-9.5mm Madama quality rounds (that actually are Madama quality, I verified against my certified Madama) :love:

STUDS_1.png

Can I rave about Takahashi for a bit? ::) I've bought from them multiple times now and have had wonderful experiences!! They used to sell only wholesale to retailers, but when COVID shut the pearl shows and their other normal platforms down they changed their sales model and started offering their pearls direct to customer via IG. They're a very small operation, despite the quantity of pearls they deal, and there's actually only one rep who speaks English so she's the person who handles all Western requests - I seriously can't imagine her workload!

The rep who handles us English folks - she's a sweetheart. She's willing to get as many photos and videos as you ask for. If you ask for just one pearl, or one matched pair, she'll give that request as much attention as if you ask for a full lot. Some of my orders have gotten pretty complicated and she's never let anything slip through the cracks - all bits and bobs are always accounted for. If you say you want "strong pink overtone" then you'll get options with strong pink overtone to pick from, if you say you want "high luster" then you'll get high luster. @MakingTheGrade has talked about their sales policies in other threads - they accept payment only via wire transfer, and there's no option to return, so you've got to know what you want, and you've got to feel comfortable interpreting their photos and videos, and you've got to buy with the acknowledgment that if for some reason the piece or pearl doesn't work out there's no undo button... But if you're good with all of that - they have lovely pearls and oh my goodness, they really do offer the sort of value for money that makes you wonder what's wrong because it's too good to be true!! I've not encountered anything close to their pricing for the quality you get.

An example of how honest Takahashi is and how seriously Takahashi takes quality control. This blew me away. @LLJsmom I hope you don't mind me sharing!! Those champagne GSSs, @LLJsmom picked them loose from a card and Takahashi drilled them for her. She wanted unblemished pearls and Takahashi defines "unblemished" as "squeaky clean once drilled". One of the pearls has one fishbite, and when they drilled they didn't go directly through this blemish. Our rep sent me a note right away apologizing for the error, and offered to either cancel this portion of the order or refund this one pearl if we wanted to keep the pair. Keep in mind - this is an 11mm pearl. That fishbite is 100% invisible when worn. The cup in this pic is 3mm, using a 6mm cup rather would cover it up. And once I got the pearls I understood - this pearl has some colour zoning, if they'd drilled even slightly off-axis to mask the blemish the pair wouldn't have been as great a face-up match.

...Folks. When was the last time you met someone who defines "unblemished" as "drills wholly clean" by default? Not face-up clean. Not "stuff could be lurking under the cup". Zero margin for error as the basic standard. And quality control thorough enough to spot any deviations before they reach the customer, and very fair remediation options. Blown. Away. For real. Takahashi's customer service is excellent. And I SO admire this sort of commitment to #DoingItRight!! :appl::love: :appl:

And @LLJsmom's got a seriously amazing pair of GSS. Seriously amazing. Same lot as my lighter GSSs, but hers are more lustrous and more pink. I'm kicking myself for not buying more of those golds!!

1623825991549.png

Wow !
Im tucking all this info away for more prosperous times (post bathroom reno)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @yssie for the detailed explanation and sharing about this wonderful vendor. Your pics are also so much Better than anything I can do.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your pearls are all lovely and suit your beautifully!! Takahashi is an awesome vendor. Count me a fan!! I’m wearing my silver blue akoya studs from them today. I love how they look like little soap bubbles.

Enjoy your beauties in good health!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theyre gorgeous @LLJsmom ♥️
Wear in good health and pearlicious joy. :appl:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your pearls are gorgeous, lustrous, iridescent, and just dreamy in every way! :love:Congrats on taking the plunge... your new treasures look amazing on you!!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom @yssie --I found a couple 'Takahasi' named pearl companies on IG...

One is @takahasi_pearl_co.ltd (Takahasi PEARL CO., LTD.)

And the second was @takahasi-pearl-official (Takahasi Pearl)

Which one of these two did you purchase from?

Have a few items on my list....thanks for your great reviews!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom @yssie --I found a couple 'Takahasi' named pearl companies on IG...

One is @takahasi_pearl_co.ltd (Takahasi PEARL CO., LTD.)

And the second was @takahasi-pearl-official (Takahasi Pearl)

Which one of these two did you purchase from?

Have a few items on my list....thanks for your great reviews!

They're the same company :)) I always contact through the second (the “official”) but I’m sure they would respond on both!

Last edited:

mayo1209

Rough_Rock
Beautiful earrings. Would you recommend them as a good choice for Tahitians as well? I a looking to add either Tahitian or South Sea golden pearl drops to some diamond earrings.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful earrings. Would you recommend them as a good choice for Tahitians as well? I a looking to add either Tahitian or South Sea golden pearl drops to some diamond earrings.
@yssie what do you think?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I love these on you! Both pearl shades look gorgeous on you. And I love your Mikimoto too. You are going to have lots of fun. Wearing these pearls!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pearls! I swear it’s almost tempting me to buy more.

But if you're good with all of that - they have lovely pearls and oh my goodness, they really do offer the sort of value for money that makes you wonder what's wrong because it's too good to be true!! I've not encountered anything close to their pricing for the quality you get.

Yes that was my experience with the Japanese vendors when I was in my pearl phase and went to fairs, so totally understand what you mean.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow - both of these pairs are just lovely, and look fabulous on you! Between both pairs, you've basically got every look covered because of their colors!

I will definitely be checking out Takahashi in the future. They sound fabulous. Might give me a chance to brush off my Japanese :dance:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@yssie what do you think?

I defer to @ForteKitty as I’ve not bought Tahitians from Takahashi.

Takahashi is a supplier first and foremost - they supply a number of other vendors. So some of the things that you might buy retail may have come from Takahashi originally! Sometimes you’ll see Takahashi’s photos on other vendors’ IGs, too. That gives the buyer options - buying through a retailer usually allows you to pay the way you want and return if things don’t work out as planned.

Edit - There are some vendors who will will pull goods directly from Takahashi for clients, call them “custom projects”, and redact the return option anyway. In general best to beware vendors who don’t offer returns, IMO. Even Takahashi - you’ve got to buy with the understanding that you *might* be shooting yourself in the foot.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would add here that the 'custom' project is most often something that has been requested... say a rope of 8mm natural white Akoya AAA . So the seller tracks down the pearls , orders and pays for them . Makes the necklace as requested. So explain why the seller should be stuck with two expensive strands that they wouldln't have brought without the request. Just because someone changed their mind ?

If it's something already in stock..well that's different. It's when someone asks for something, you buy it and they say.... oh maybe not...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I wrote that I was thinking of some very specific instances where I’ve watched multiple etailers offer to pull goods directly from Takahashi using Takahashi’s photos, tack on a mammoth surcharge (I’m talking 200-300%), and call it a “custom project” with no client return option - the retailers sometimes doesn’t even have the items in question in their possession. In cases like that there’s no question that the buyer would have done better going directly to Takahashi, much lower cost and no returns anyway!

I don’t think any vendor has any obligation whatsoever to offer free returns. Returns are expensive. Deducting all shipping costs and a restocking fee for a return for any reason other than “broke” seems very fair to me.

Change of mind returns... I definitely see the vendor’s dilemma there. I also see the customer‘s side though. I’ve bought pearls with no return for change of mind. No regrets. From vendors I trust to know what I’m looking for and veto whatever doesn’t fit on my behalf. In those projects... The vendor’s eyes, and their suppliers’ eyes - invaluable. But I knew exactly what I wanted, and I owned enough pearls already to be able to set a reasonable standard for judgment. Without any universal grading standard - knowing that one vendor’s AAA may differ significantly from another’s, that one vendor’s AAA in March for 9mm akoya may differ significantly from that same vendor’s AAA in November for 7mm akoya - how can a customer make a meaningful judgment or comparison on a specific piece without having that specific piece in hand?

I don’t have an answer to that. It’s a two-way street. I’ve seen vendors take pricey custom-sourced pieces back due to change of mind to avoid leaving a customer with a bad impression. In those instances asking the customer to comp shipping and a restocking fee would at least ease the vendor burden a little.

I suppose the real solution is for all of us to send out our own pearl quality cards until the industry gets its sh*t together and standardizes grading. Every consumer has different thresholds for “how much $$ am I willing to lose”, and also “how much $$ am I willing to lose for this project”. The keys seem to be (A) for the customer to acknowledge his own threshold and not deviate from it, and (B) for the vendor to understand the customer’s threshold and be willing to refuse to surpass it, in the interests of both quality of service and self-preservation. Thanks for bringing it up, it’s a good point and a valid objection. And I haven’t ranted about grading standards in probably a full week.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit - sorry @LLJsmom. This conversation is probably better in another thread.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg figuring out pearl “grading” and how to buy online/through photos was so much more frustrating than in diamonds or colored gems.

My first order with Takahashi Included one “no 1” grade pearl just so I could compare it in person to ones I had that were gem grade. These were akoyas.

Now Tahitians were another beast entirely with their color moodiness and various overtones and etc.

Pearls are hard to get a handle on as a online buyer but in my opinion worth it. I love my pearl pieces so so much. I wear at least one every day!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pearls have to be the most difficult gem to buy. Pearls with colour are definitely THE most difficult. As MakingTheGrade pointed out , colours change with the light , overtones, orient , all make it difficult to know exactly what colour you are getting. ( don’t get me started on Blue Akoya!) This is why multiple photos are necessary. I do lots of photos and a video for tricky items . I’ve never had a return.

yssie I understand the specific circumstances you were referring to , and can see your point . However anyone selling pearls will mark up from wholesale and everyone marks up differently depending on their circumstances. And again, decisions on whether to allow returns on custom orders probably depends on the items being ordered and whether or not they are easy to resell. It can be risky . For example I was recently asked to source a gem grade 11mm White South Sea pair for a custom made 5 figure diamond/platinum design by a famous London Jeweler. Sounds easy …it wasn’t. I searched from Paspaley to Japan to America and to Europe. It took almost 2 months.
because … there’s gem grade and there’s gem grade. A term thrown about loosely. Now I had no idea whether or not the end buyer was going to be happy so from the beginning I had determined that I would refund and keep them for myself if they didn’t suit. ( the buyer still sends me notes) But this isn’t a pair that you can just buy from any wholesaler. (Many true high end pearls are preselected for certain dealers or jewelers before the rest go to auction. )

so custom work is tricky , time consuming and often frustrating and I totally understand a no return policy. For many sellers , Restocking fees don’t begin to cover the effort expended and the cost of tying up funds in something that may or may not sell. Large companies can absorb this ..small ones ..not so much.
I feel like I’m babbling lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds easy …it wasn’t. I searched from Paspaley to Japan to America and to Europe. It took almost 2 months.
This does not sound easy. I’ve turned multiple Mikimoto pairs down. WSS most definitely aren’t easy. I hear that once upon a time the good ones were plentiful and didn’t cost kidneys... If only...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results