shape
carat
color
clarity

My first Gemstone Purchase ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
:) Yippeee! I have been bitten by the bug! Here are the specs

Topaz
Shape- Cushion Cut
Total Weight -1.23ct
Size -6mm
Color -Teal Green
Clarity -VVS
Luster -Blinding

Now what do I do? I was thinking of a ring. Maybe a halo or split shank. It would be a RHR. I was surprised by how small the stone is....not disappointed, just surprised.That size in a diamond seems like it would be bigger. Is there some rule of gems I should keep in mind? The stone was not expensive so I was hoping to keep the mounting under $400.

Thanks for the advice. I hope my spouses Chrono and Mr. Ma Rae will chime in!!
31.gif

teal.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all the cushion cut makes it look smaller since it carries more weight in the pavilion.

Secondly, all different stones has different densities. For instance, sapphires are more dense than diamonds or tourmalines. Tourmalines are usually about the same size/carat weight as a diamond. But a sapphire of the same carat weight will be smaller size wise than the tourmaline or the diamond. With gemstones it''s much better to go by millimeter than by carat weight. I don''t know how the density of topaz compares to diamonds. And I''m being too lazy to look it up.

Also, gemstones are often cut for carat weight/size/color over sparkliness. This is one reason you will see a lot of windowed stones with big bellies. They weight more, but that weight isn''t in the millimeter size.

I hope that helps some.

It''s a pretty stone. Do you have other pictures?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! I love the color.

What about an LOGR setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey darling!
31.gif

Just wanted to add to Freke's explaination: in addition to the density, there's also the cutting. Gemstone cutting is different from diamonds where it must preserve colour, not cut for dispersion/light return. This form of cutting means that the depth of the stone can be anywhere from 70% up to 85%(!), hence the stone will always measure less/smaller than a diamond of identical carat weight.

ETA
This is the first time I've seen luster discribed as blinding.
20.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love the color - really pretty!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Refractive index also plays a role, and I think (although I''m no expert) it''s an even bigger one than density. I also don''t know the exact numbers, but I''m sure diamonds are more dense than topazes (I think they''re 3.6 compared to 2.5, or something) so if density would be the only factor deciding the finished gem''s size, diamonds would be smaller. But since diamond has a higher R. I., it slows down light much more, so it can be cut much more shallow. At the same time, topaz, having a much lower R. I., doesen''t slow down light so effectively, so (to put it simple) it needs more space to capture the light.

And when it comes to settings, how about finding some links of the styles which you like, so we can get a better sense of your taste.

P. S. If you think the stone is small, setting in in a halo or a bezel will make it seem larger. Also go easy on the contrasts, as they can reduce the perceived size of an object even more.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
P. S. If you think the stone is small, setting in in a halo or a bezel will make it seem larger. Also go easy on the contrasts, as they can reduce the perceived size of an object even more.

Can you (or anyone) explain what Ma Ra means by "contrast"? Thanks all!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 6:54:18 AM
Author: bookworm240

Can you (or anyone) explain what Ma Ra means by ''contrast''? Thanks all!!!
Color contrast, having one color much darker (or lighter) than the other. For example, a very dark red garnet will seem smaller if set in white gold, compared to how it would look if set in yellow or (even better) rose gold, cause the contrast between the colors of metal and stone is much stronger. But with this particular shade, it''s hard to go overboard with contrasts (unless you want a black diamond halo, or a purple gold bezel
9.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results