shape
carat
color
clarity

my first diamond!!!

Calexand

Rough_Rock
I was going to wait to post pictures of the finished ring, but I can't resist! I must share these pictures of my first (!) diamond-- oops, I mean DB's diamond. DB says it's not mine yet, until he officially proposes! :tongue: He also jokes it's too big, but I think it's perfect for me. I will divulge the whole story about our search for the setting and diamond when we actually get the center stone set (soon!), but for now, here are the specs on my lovely Blue Nile GIA certified diamond:

- .97 carat, round (6.36-6.38x3.88)
- SI1 (eye-clean), very narrowly missed being a VS2
- H color, no florescence
- Excellent cut & symmetry, very good polish
- Medium-faceted girdle
- 60.9 % depth
- 58% table

And here are the picts!

diamond3.jpg

diamond.jpg

diamond2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it! Such a great size, my own diamond is the same carat weight! :bigsmile: Can't wait to see how you set it. What is the plan?

Calexand

Rough_Rock
We found a jeweler to create a custom design-- a hybrid of the classic tiffany bead-set band with a four-prong version of MWM's gorgeous twisted basketry w/hidden accent diamonds! The e-ring setting and w band will both be 2.5 mm thick with 2mm accent diamonds covering 70% of both rings. They are even creating a custom alloy of 90% platinum/10% iridium! Although, after reading a lot about platinum alloys, I wish that I asked for 95% platinum/5% ruthenium. :(( Tiffany's uses 95% platinum/5% ruthenium: http://www.tiffany.com/Expertise/Material/TiffanyPlatinum.aspx,, and MWM said when this alloy does not crack during casting, it has the best longevity of all platinum alloys: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm.. But then, I wonder if the intricate basketry even be possible with the 5% ruthenium blend? :confused: Well, at least my DB's ring will have the 95-5 blend with ruthenium. I love, love thinking about my ring, but I am soooooo nervous about whether it will come out right! I am getting a ridiculously amazing price on the setting and band since the jeweler is a wholesaler/caster seeking to break into the custom-settings market. But I almost feel like it's too good to be true! :errrr: I promise to post as soon as I have the rings in my hand!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Calexand|1330670676|3139003 said:
We found a jeweler to create a custom design-- a hybrid of the classic tiffany bead-set band with a four-prong version of MWM's gorgeous twisted basketry w/hidden accent diamonds! The e-ring setting and w band will both be 2.5 mm thick with 2mm accent diamonds covering 70% of both rings. They are even creating a custom alloy of 90% platinum/10% iridium! Although, after reading a lot about platinum alloys, I wish that I asked for 95% platinum/5% ruthenium. :(( Tiffany's uses 95% platinum/5% ruthenium: http://www.tiffany.com/Expertise/Material/TiffanyPlatinum.aspx,,, and MWM said when this alloy does not crack during casting, it has the best longevity of all platinum alloys: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm... But then, I wonder if the intricate basketry even be possible with the 5% ruthenium blend? :confused: Well, at least my DB's ring will have the 95-5 blend with ruthenium. I love, love thinking about my ring, but I am soooooo nervous about whether it will come out right! I am getting a ridiculously amazing price on the setting and band since the jeweler is a wholesaler/caster seeking to break into the custom-settings market. But I almost feel like it's too good to be true! :errrr: I promise to post as soon as I have the rings in my hand!

Sounds gorgeous! And your stone is beautiful! :love: I can't wait to see it in it's setting!

There are many PSers that prefer a 90% platnium 10% iridium mix, I think most of the antique rings that we see are of this mixture, and you can see how well they have stood the test of time! :love: I think it will be gorgeous! Waiting for lots and lots of pictures! Congratulations on your first diamond! She's a beauty!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perfect size! Not too shabby for a first diamond ;-) Congrats.

Kalrik

Shiny_Rock
It looks sooo bright! And with the spread of your stone, you got a full carat without paying the price jump!

sunshinebelle

Rough_Rock
congrats! The ring looks great on you!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Looking forward to seeing your ring. BTW, you have gorgeous hands! Even a gumball machine plastic ring would look beautiful on your hands.

liz

D

Deactivated member 42515

Wow! It looks awesome on your hand! It's so bright in the pictures, it must blind you in real life! Congrats!

Calexand

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! :)

DreamerD, I never saw a picture of your finished .97 carat ring... Just your place holder with the fish tails, although that one was very nice and vintage-looking. I can't believe you paid so little for it!

Christina, yes, PS is where I first picked up on the difference between platinum alloys! Thank goodness because I've heard cobalt can make the platinum less white/slightly blue, and 5% iridium would just be too soft. :tongue: I think that is what my brother-in-law has, and he complains about all of the dents and dings in his ring.

Thanks Karik! My goal was to get as close as I could to 1 carat. :bigsmile:

Awww shucks Liz! *blush* I grew out my nails very carefully expecting that I would want a ring shot soon. Alas, I am such a tom boy, my nails are back to their usual dirty, stubby state! ::)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful stone, and a perfect size for your hand. Congratulations!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty (even in the temp setting)!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Looks lovely. Can't wait to see it in the setting. Congrats. :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks so beautiful! What a nice diamond!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, it"s a beautiful stone!!! :love: you must be so excited!!

What a beautiful stone! I can't wait to see the finished ring. :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
NICE!!!! Beautiful stone and GORGEOUS HANDS! (you could be a hand model!) Love the size on your hand and the brightness of the diamond - beautiful selection :appl:

Your ring sounds amazing-how soon till it is completed? Then DB has to propose of course... ;))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone and the setting sounds goregous!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone looks great! Can't wait to see the finished project!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! :love: And lucky you to have found one just barely under a carat! :appl:

Your platinum alloy is fine! That is a durable alloy. I would do one thing, though. Make sure you are not obligated to buy those settings unless they meet your approval. It may be a great deal, but sometimes low prices do not equal the best quality (and high prices surely don't always, either!).

Calexand

Rough_Rock
Enerchi- we are supposed to pick up the ring on the 16th of this month. *fingers crossed*

Diamondseeker2006- well yes, I am very worried about that. We did put down a supposedly non-refundable deposit, but I don't think that this designer usually asks for that (not sure what their policy normally is since they are relatively new, i think, to custom settings). I'll go over the story later, but a *lot* of time was spent on the CAD. If the ring turns out exactly as the CAD, I will be happy, but I don't fully understand how these things work. :?:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am nervous for you using an untested bench for this setting :blackeye: Usually I would never recommend having comething made custom unless you had seen many many examples of their work and knew for certain they could execute what you wanted.

Calexand

Rough_Rock
DreamerD- I am not sure if I am giving the jeweler fair credit with respect to their previous experience. They only sent me one example from their portfolio, but they did claim to have more experience (?). They did seem very enthusiastic and confident about their abilities. Also, there was only one other jeweler that I found that could match their price-- also in a similar position-- a wholesaler looking to create their own line/become more involved with customized jewelry. Let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens. I am trying to be cautiously optimistic. :o

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see it complete!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results