shape
carat
color
clarity

My first diamond! But I need so much help...

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I was one of the very lucky 5 winners of the generous PriceScope giveaway, and I've decided I want to use it to go towards my very first diamond! I have so many ideas though, and I could use some help in deciding what direction to go in. I apologize in advance in how long this is. :oops:

I would like to get a ring, but I do want it to look different than my engagement ring. This is what my engagement ring looks like: img_1796_0.jpg

The center stone is a .68ct Portuguese cut natural alexandrite. Its dimensions are 6.8mm x 4.17mm x 2.95mm. I believe the diamonds on the halo and shank are 1mm. The ring is a size 5, although my actual ring size is really more of a 4.5-4.75.

I would like to have something that doesn't look too much like my engagement ring (or too engagement ring-y in general), and I've been thinking of going for a pear or marquise diamond in order to maximize face up size. Now, if I went with a marquise or pear, I would likely want it set into a ring with a sapphire halo, similar to these:
img_3333.jpg
1_436.jpg

I really like the idea of a sapphire halo or somehow having sapphires in the ring. My finance's birthstone is sapphire, and I like how it makes it a little bit different. I also like how a sapphire halo would distinguish it from the diamond halo on my engagement ring, and I like how a sapphire halo is not so traditionally engagement ring looking. But, that being said, I also really love the bling factor and I know how a diamond halo can really help in making things look more bling-y, which makes me wonder if I should be looking at a diamond halo instead?

My other setting idea is to go for something in a more "non-traditional" halo setting; something like these:
erika-winters-design-iris-halo-ring-collections.jpg
erika-winters-caroline-halo-engagement-ring.jpg
s-l400.jpg
il_570xn_164.jpg
(I know this last one isn't a diamond halo, but I'm throwing it in there as a setting idea that I like)

Of course, I realize that if I go with something like the above, I'm likely not looking at a pear or marquise shape. I'm just feeling super indecisive about what direction to go in with this. Even though I am one of the lucky winners of the giveaway, which I'm super grateful for, I am still trying to do this whole thing on a budget. So, I would either like to put a portion of the $1000 towards the diamond with any remaining to go towards the setting OR I'd like to at least not go over $1000 for the diamond. I do realize this limits my choices in diamonds. I think that in terms of what is most important to me, I'm really looking for the following:

- something that faces up at least as much as my engagement ring (which is 6.8mm x 4.17mm, oval)...that being said, I realize I likely won't be able to afford a round or cushion with that sort of face up size. If I went with a round or cushion, I'm honestly not sure what kind of face up size would be "acceptable" for me, but I'm thinking maybe 5.5mm to 6mm would look nice?
- as much bling/sparkle factor as possible
- something that looks different from my engagement ring

I am not all that color sensitive, so I feel I'd be ok sacrificing in that area. I'm also not ever going to be looking at this under a loupe or anything so as far a clarity goes, I just would want it to be eye clean. I know cut is really a key factor in diamonds, and to be honest, I'm not sure how much is considered "OK" to sacrifice in that area. Carats obviously correlate to size, as a general rule, but I think I care more about face up size compared to carat size (provided, of course, that the diamond itself is not sacrificed for face up size).

With all of that said, does anything have any thoughts in what direction I should go in with this? I know ultimately I need to figure it out for myself, but I'm just feeling so lost, indecisive, and a bit overwhelmed trying to figure it out! I am not a person who really switches out rings, so this will likely be one of the only diamond rings I'll ever have (or, at least for a while anyway...I might be bitten by the bug after this and just need more! :D ), so I want to make sure that whatever I do, I do it right!

If you've made it this far, thank you!!! I appreciate any feedback, thoughts, ideas, etc. that anyone might have, and I am open to other suggestions as well!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you on the win and how exciting to have a project in mind! I love that sapphire and emerald flower ring- it's in my favourites too (and on sale now :devil: ).

I am far from being an expert in any way on the fancy cuts but if I were you I'd start with James Allen. I had a quick look and there are several pears, ovals and marquises around the $1000 mark. They are all very different in colour and clarity but you can "get your eye in" and have a better idea of what you like or don't like.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I think the size of RB you're considering is the perfect size for a halo; after all, the halo IS a strategy for increasing perceived size of a smaller stone. So many lovely halos available theses days. I'd go in that direction.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some 1000 or less (or maybe a little bit more) diamonds from ja.

Meets most of your criteria but under 1k, I don't know what would happen with the rest of the $$
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.58-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-618821

Smaller but lovely
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut/0.54-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-760364

If eye clean this is my favorite round over 5mm
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.47-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-827974

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you're conflicted on sapphires or diamonds. I've got a few inspiration ones, some with french cuts (that could be done with sapphires) some with diamonds, and some with a little of both.

I had seen your post from Christmas eve about buying a diamond (how exciting you now have an extra bit to work with!) And I would think David klass would be able to work with some of these ideas keeping them close to your original pre-winnings budget

art-deco-marquise-diamond-and-emerald-ring.jpg

_t2ec16f__zue9s38-oegbsf-skroh_--60_1.jpg

image__1_.jpg

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on winning the contest!! :appl: For me, when I think about adding to my collection I consider what kinds of pieces I already own. For example, my engagement ring is a halo, so I would rather have another style of setting for a right hand ring to add variety to my collection. I might start off by deciding which shape diamond to get and explore settings from there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the problem you are going to have if you go with a pear or marquise is that you will have to have a custom setting made
in the future (not sure what your budget is for that). Its not easy to get colored halos for pears/marquise ready made.

If you went with a round, you may be able to get a non-custom setting more like what you're looking for sometime in the future
at a decent price. Mydiamondzone sells some bullet like ones. I wouldnt call them engagement ring quality but would work for a
less expensive RHR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-HALO-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-ENGAGEMENT-RING-ROUND-SETTING-14K-/401045051621?hash=item5d6025d8e5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GREEN-EMERALD-HALO-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-ENGAGEMENT-RING-ROUND-SETTING-14K-/172036592023?hash=item280e2e1197

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, those settings with french cut sapphires are usually custom made and pricey if nice quality. So you really need to think about your total budget. One idea for non-custom would be the Beverley K settings with accent sapphires that allow you to provide a small diamond center. Or maybe you can get more ideas from these. There are about 4 pages of settings with sapphires. Pearlman's Jewelers sells BK and you can ask pricing and discounts.

http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/color.html?limit=30&stones=135

Something like this would be very different in shape from your e-ring:

http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/color/r9462-a-d-s-m.html

other shapes with french cut halos:

http://www.beverleyk.com/engagement-rings/color.html?limit=30&p=3&stones=135

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go around and try on lots of different diamond shapes. Try to hit up a local gem show where you have lots of vendors. Once you try on different shapes and settings, it may help you figure out ones that you like rather than think you like. It will help you eliminate ones you don't.

Take your time figuring out what you like. Continue to save up while you are deciding to give yourself more options. You want something that faces up close to a carat while you only have $1000. You might change your mind during the process.

Good luck and have fun!! No one says you need to make the decision right now.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all SO much for your thoughts and suggestions! After reading everyone's replies and looking through the links, I think I've realized that I want sapphires somewhere in the ring, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a sapphire halo. Maybe sapphire side stones or sapphires in the shank? Something to think about...

I still haven;t decided what shape I'd like yet. Trying on a different shapes is a good idea. They are all so pretty in their own ways - how does anyone make a final decision?! :lol: I'm still leaning towards a pear or marquise, mainly for the whole maximizing face up value factor. But I also really love the Erika Winters Caroline halo with the cushion. I would love to try to come up with some kind of setting that kind of combines that sort of halo but also has some sapphire accents, and also works for a marquise or pear...but that just looks crazy when I try to imagine it in my head. I will be doing a lot of google image searching for some inspiration!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results