shape
carat
color
clarity

my first Dan stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered my very first Dan stone! It''s a little one but should be pretty.

stats:

tanga rhodolite garnet
.86 ct
5.80 mm
modified round brilliant (with 8 extra facets on the top and bottom)

Don''t know yet what I''ll do with it. I just hope it''s pretty! Dan says it''s eye clean and has just a little silk that is typical of the pinkish garnets. This is the only photo I have of it. Let me know your thoughts!

khgarnet.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love it Katie. Love the color and sparkle.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks Linda! I''m so nervous! But I trust Dan 100%.
emsmile.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 8:15:26 PM
Author:katiedid
I just ordered my very first Dan stone! It''s a little one but should be pretty.

stats:

tanga rhodolite garnet

.86 ct

5.80 mm

modified round brilliant (with 8 extra facets on the top and bottom)

Don''t know yet what I''ll do with it. I just hope it''s pretty! Dan says it''s eye clean and has just a little silk that is typical of the pinkish garnets. This is the only photo I have of it. Let me know your thoughts!

Hi Katie!

I''m sure you''ll love it! Dan cuts great stones!

I have a rhodolite garnet from him as well. It is gorgeous! I''m having Sally at etsy set it in her pillbox setting. I''ll get it in a few weeks and can''t wait!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty! I bet you''ll love it in person.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks karee - I''ve been following your thread and can''t wait to see how the pillbox ring turns out. I''m thinking about her lotus ring. She does such pretty work. Of course, what I REALLY want is the James Meyer setting I''ve seen all over PS lately. Oh how I love that setting...

icekid, thank you! Your stone (the blueish/purplish one in your avatar) is one of my all time faves on PS!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:38:02 PM
Author: katiedid
thanks karee - I''ve been following your thread and can''t wait to see how the pillbox ring turns out. I''m thinking about her lotus ring. She does such pretty work. Of course, what I REALLY want is the James Meyer setting I''ve seen all over PS lately. Oh how I love that setting...

icekid, thank you! Your stone (the blueish/purplish one in your avatar) is one of my all time faves on PS!

Ha! I''m using the other garnet I got from John at GemRite for her lotus setting! I won''t be sending that off to her till mid-June, though. :) James Meyer will not be in my budget for at least another year...

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
karee, how long does it take to get the ring back? She''s in Thailand, right?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:54:10 PM
karee, how long does it take to get the ring back? She''s in Thailand, right?
Yeah, Thailand. I think she''s got a 2ish week wait right now...but you might "convo" her to get specifics. She is super sweet, and responds right away.

You can also ask Mochi, or AJ, I think they''ve done stuff with her....and maybe others!!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll do that! Thanks karee!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
So pretty!!
30.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
The color is amazing - love it!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It''s super pretty!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s very pretty.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice. Can''t wait to see it!!!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, love garnets!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you mochi, AG, innerkitten, marcyc, FrekeChild, and MakingTheGrade! I can''t tell you how relieved I am to see you girls chime in - you know SO much more about what looks good in a colored stone than I do!

I got lucky with this one (at least I hope I did). I emailed Dan and told him what I wanted and he just happened to have something that fit the bill pretty closely. I hope it won''t be too small to set in a little ring of some type. I''ll probably go the etsy route. I have 3 of the sterling twisted bands from Jennifer Cassady and I''m thinking a little bezeled (simple) ring might be cute between two of the twisted bands. We''ll see!

And garnet is my hubby''s birthstone!

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
That is a great color, I love rhodolites! I think that will make a beautiful ring
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color looks beautiful. And I love your idea of setting the stone in silver and stacking it with the bands you already have. Reminds me of something Tiffany did a couple of years ago. Great way to wear a smaller stone. Hope you love the stone.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks babysteps and stonehunter! Before reading all about garnets here, I thought they were all really dark, red, and not that well-cut. Because that''s all I''d ever seen in jewelry stores!

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
That is a lovely color! It''s going to be beautiful - I''m very excited for you!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks ahappygirl! I thought the color was just yummy! I hope it''ll be light enough to bezel.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Lovely, a nice rich raspberry in a very wearable size! I hope you love it in person!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mercoledi, if it''s half as pretty as your stones, I''ll be happy! Raspberry is exactly how I would describe that color! I love gems that look like candy!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which setting do you like better for this stone:
The Heart Of Waters lotus setting or the TreAnelli bezel setting? I know, 2 very different looks...

Here''s the HOW setting.

HOWlotus.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
and here''s the TreAnelli bezel.

TreAnellibezel.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
or the pillbox setting... by HOW

pillboxring.jpg

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
anyone have suggestions?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 12:21:46 PM
anyone have suggestions?

I love them all :)

For your stone, the lotus setting might be a bit overwhelming since the stone isn''t particularly large.

I think it would look great in either of the bezels. Also, if you do the pillbox ring, Sally will tell you if it will darken too much before she makes it.

Good choices! :)
36.gif
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting the lotus setting for my 5mm stone :)
And the picture posted is a 5mm aquamarine, so I don't think the setting would necessarily overwhelm the stone if that's the look you want :)

I also recently had an etsy jeweler set my malaya garnet in a beaded bezel setting which I love. And it was only about 25$!
malayacomparisons.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results