shape
carat
color
clarity

My first colored stones arrived today

justginger

Ideal_Rock
And I'm disappointed. ;( I'll post photos tomorrow when I have the time to pull out the camera.

I wanted a set of small tsavs to have mounted as earrings. Ordered what I thought would be a lovely pair from PI (Adam was kind enough to chip in free shipping for me!). They were described as "intense green" and the vendor photo/video showed them shining like an Irish hillside in June.

However, what I've gotten seems very dark. Will these lighten up with mounting? Do they appear dark because they're so small (4.2mm)? I mean, in direct lighting they're just blobs, only green because I *know* that's what they should be. They only time they're sparkly green is when I am directly between them and the light source - but that's not what people are going to be seeing when they're in my ears.

Anyone else have this issue only to see it improve with setting? Or should I return them and either get a) one larger stone, or b) a different shade of green (perhaps just 'green' instead of 'intense green')? The thought of returning makes me feel guilty - Adam absorbed the cost of international shipping for this order! :(sad

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you feel they are too dark, they will probably darken in the setting, unless you make a tiny rim around them, an open bezel that would be very narrow .. I have a pair of darker tsavorites of approximately the same size as yours and they are put into dangles with tiny wire-like bezels around them. I do not like the dangles but they show the stones well, and the stones are not too dark. The stones are small enough to stay secure in such a delicate setting and the light shines through them which makes them look brighter. Any closed setting will darken your stones even more.
PI's photos are usually close to originals but they use revolving mirrors allowing the light to get through the stone. Are you viewing yours on the palm? That could account for differences in color.
I can not give advice re. returns, but if the stones are just lying in a box, it is a waste of money, if you set them and do not wear.it is even a bigger waste.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
From the vendor site, they look a little dark to me. It's really impossible to be certain, though, from online videos & photos -- monitors are dissimilar, & depending on light source & type, camera, background, etc., the same stone can look different in separate photos.
Would like to see your pics too, though. One thing about earrings is that light to sides & back of the stones -- especially if they're set as studs and/or bezeled -- is limited more than to some other types of jewelry.

It doesn't sound from what you say as if you'll grow to like them better. Seeing them IRL is a must, as you have, and a good return policy (which they have) is essential for buying online. You did just right. If it would make you feel better, reimburse him for the shipping. The important thing is that if they don't make you want to jump around with joy, don't keep them. My first tsavorite had a healthy window -- we learn by doing! Good luck!

-- Laurie

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your thoughts about how to proceed - however, I am thrilled to report that, having taken the stones with me to work today, they are definitely STUNNING. :love: It must have been the super high-efficiency lighting we have in our house coupled with zero natural light (stormy day) that made them so murky and bleh. Both in direct and indirect sunlight, and in the flouro lights of the lab, they were sparkly green monsters! So, so pleased. :bigsmile:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I'm glad they turned out pretty after all. Now where are those pics?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results