shape
carat
color
clarity

My First Attempt to Make Tahitian Pearl Jewelry

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I mentioned in the Holiday Pearl wish list that I was planning to make a Tahitian pearl enhancer and a pair of Tahitian pearl earrings. Well, today I did it. Remember that this is my first attempt to make wrapped wire jewelry, so please be kind. As with most things, it is clear to me that I would improve with more practice. But, everyone has to start somewhere.

When I recently purchased my Sea of Cortez pearl from Druzydesigns on eBay, I also purchased a fully drilled 9.5 mm x 13.3 mm "wildly colorful, plentiful pink, lavender, purple, green, and more...AAA quality...insanely gorgeous" (etc., etc., you get the idea :twirl: ) Tahitian pearl. I was thinking that the colors would go well with my new Catherine Cardellini dyed black freshwater pearl necklace. I was going to get an actual enhancer clip, but they didn't have any at my local Michaels, so I'm using a lobster clasp for the time being. I also picked up some 14k gold plated head pins. I already had the small gold loop.

After viewing a video on YouTube on How to Make a Wrapped Loop Bead, I popped the Tahitian onto the head pin, twisted the wire, added the lobster clasp with a small loop, and presto, done. I think it looks pretty good with the freshwater pearls. On close inspection, I can see more colors in the Tahitian, but from any distance, they look pretty good together.

Enhancer_1251.jpg

Enhancer1252.jpg

Ebay380276081401a.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The ever popular neck shot along with closeups showing my beginner wire wrapping skills. I figure I can take this piece apart and redo it when I get a nice enhancer clasp.

Enhancer1256.jpg

Enhancer1258.jpg

NeckShot1332.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
On to the earrings. It seems that most Tahitian pearl earrings are made with shepherds' hooks, using big pearls, plus the prices are gasp-worthy. I'm not a fan of shepherds' hooks, nor do I like heavy earrings. I do own a pair of very versatile 14k yellow gold hoops that I decided to use for my Tahitian pearl earrings. The Tahitian pearl pair I purchased from Druzydesigns are pictured below. They are a gorgeous green in real life. They are also not too big, and therefore, not too heavy for my sensitive ears.

2 AAA South Sea Tahitian Black/Peacock Pearl Pair approx 8.5 mm x 10.3 mm. Vendor photos below.

Ebay140473143271d.jpg

Ebay140473143271f.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The pair of pearls on the head pins, showing a pearl next to my 14k gold hoop, and the finished earring. Remember, this is only my second time making a wire loop.

Earring1_1305.jpg

TahitianEarring1300.jpg

TahitianPair1297.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Forging ahead, I made the wire loop for the second earring. Now, I think this one looks much better, almost like I've done it before. :praise:

My new pair of Tahitian Pearl earrings. :))

PairEarrings_1319.jpg

Earring2_1313.jpg

Earring2_1311.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ear shots showing my new Tahitian Pearl earring drops on my 14k yellow gold hoops.

EarShot2_1317.jpg

EarShot1_1307.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
All together now. New Tahitian wire wrap jewelry. Thanks for looking. :wavey:

TahitianJewelry_1322.jpg

Cool!!

I was doing some pearl stuff today too! It's addicting!

What are you using to create your loops? I find that if I use the round-nose pliers (like needle nose but round- sorry I don't know the exact name) it creates very round looking loops. I made some today and I was quite bored with them so I didn't make them very perfect, but they do help to make them clean and neat.

That, and getting some cheap wire and making loops and wire wrapping over and over and over and over -- practice makes perfect!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
bean|1290036373|2770554 said:
Cool!!

I was doing some pearl stuff today too! It's addicting!

What are you using to create your loops? I find that if I use the round-nose pliers (like needle nose but round- sorry I don't know the exact name) it creates very round looking loops. I made some today and I was quite bored with them so I didn't make them very perfect, but they do help to make them clean and neat.

That, and getting some cheap wire and making loops and wire wrapping over and over and over and over -- practice makes perfect!
I'd like to see your loops. I know I purchased a pair of those round jewelry making needle nose pliers, but I couldn't find them today. So, I grabbed a pair of regular needle nose pliers and regular wire cutters out of the tool drawer. I wanted the loops to be a bit squared off because my hoops have a rectangular cross-section, so perhaps this was a lucky choice of pliers. The wire is so soft I just twisted it by hand, but you need the pliers to hold the loop as you are doing it.

Pliers_1336.jpg

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Aw, nice, Flygirl. I'm very inspired by this post - I have a TON of loose pearls and find it very difficult to get around to doing anything with them. This might give me a kick up the rear.

Love the earrings, great Tahitians.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Very cool! :cheeky:

You got skills, girl! :appl:

Love the pearls!! :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear that, WHB. Just what I was hoping for. Be sure to show us what you are making.

Thanks, iLander. I looked at a lot of the jewelry on etsy, and figured I could do as well as many of them. What I did isn't any harder than putting a twist-tie on a baggie. Now, to do it well will take more practice. In any case, the earrings are just fine since they hide under my hair. I'd like to upgrade the work on the enhancer, however.

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Be sure to show us what you are making.

AH HA HA HA! No, certainly not. I am not a fan of awkward "oooh, WHB, it's..so...interesting! creative! different!" Which is to say that I have never attempted to make my own pieces and would almost certainly suck at it. I'm thinking of getting some thin wire off Etsy and just messing around, tho. I've wanted to make a large decorative wire birdhouse type thingie for awhile...

How many people here make their own pieces, btw? I feel inadequate.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colour me impressed Fly Girl!

I somehow think that something that looks easy enough - really just isn't, and the pearls are lovely!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Fly they are gorgeous pieces! I'm so impressed!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Good job, FlyGirl. The pendant goes really well with your strand. You'll get better with more practice.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Yssie, Sarah and HHPmom. I was just looking at pearl earrings on etsy, and while some wire wraps were definitely better, some looked like mine. I'll just consider it the natural, organic look, which I rather like. :naughty:

HHPmom, I thought the pearls looked surprisingly good with my dyed, freshwater strand. One reason I took those pictures together was to give people an idea of the dyed black freshwater pearl colors with the Tahitians. I rather like mixing the different pearl sizes and shapes together, as long as the colors work together in a pleasing way. I do have a green Tahitian on order for a new enhancer. I rather like the green Tahitian drops.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely work FG!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I admire that you took on this project. I would worry that I would ruin my pearls because I get too impatient with myself! Way to go though! They look lovely on you! :appl:

I had an idea... could you use a popsicle stick (or two) to use it to shape the wire around???

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LG and CCN. bean - I'm not sure what you mean. You basically make the first loop around the pliers as you grip the wire. The pliers are much smaller in diameter than a popsicle stick. The loop would be rounder if I had used the correct round nose pliers. Once you have the first loop you then grip it with the pliers as you twist (wrap) the remainer of the gold wire between the loop and the pearl.

RoundNosePliers71-10-006d.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results