shape
carat
color
clarity

My estate sale find

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock

For a while now my husband has been looking for a quality diamond ring for me. I have never really received a decent sized diamond before as we were broke and in college when we got engaged. We were in the beginning stages of finding a ring for me when I went to look on e-bay for ideas. It dawned on me that I really was drawn to the older style rings in general. I like square shapes a lot, but I dislike a princess cut ring. To make a long story short, I stumbled across this ring.

There wasn''t a whole lot of exact information on this ring, but I knew I loved the setting via the pictures. I got an excellent deal on it and most importantly the diamond is absolutely beautiful. I haven''t gone for an appraisal yet, but I took it to my local family jeweler who checked it out for me and resized it. She checked it out under the scope and was impressed with the clarity and cut. Guesses it to be from the 1930s with a transition cut diamond at about 40-50 points (estimate based on measurements only). Side stones are about 4 points each and are single cut diamonds.

Over all I am thrilled with the ring. I love the prongs and even the fact that the head isn''t entirely square so the diamond doesn''t go to the outer edges on the sides, but do on the top and the bottom. It isn''t a true illusion head which I am thrilled with, but I like the over all shape it creates and how it looks with my anniversary band.

Without further ado here are the pictures (sorry they aren''t better, but my tripod mount is missing)

clgwli7.jpg

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another solo shot with more light

clgwli4.jpg

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
In a box with my anniversary band

clgwli6.jpg

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Hand a hand shot. My hand is bruised (purple and yellow-green) and swollen so please ignore the bad skin coloring due to the injury.

clgwli5.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It is JUST BEAUTIFUL!! It looks terrific with your band! Congratulations!!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What a great piece!!!!!!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! We love it and we got it for an amazing deal too. Here are a few more pictures. One with macro lens on my husband''s camera and another that shows off what I think I usually see

clgwli8.jpg

clgwli9.jpg

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful find!
30.gif

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty !

KarmaRocks

Rough_Rock
That''s very pretty! Do you have a side shot?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great find! They are beautiful and look wonderful on your hand.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I really like this set. Pretty find. You can even get a band for the other side later! (always thinking of more bling)!

EstateJeweler

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 8:39:50 PM
Author:

clgwli8.jpg

Congratulations, it''s a beautiful ring.

It appears to be a modern cut diamond from the photograph. If it were a transitional cut I would be able to see an open culet through the table. The transitional cuts were done in the 1940''s and bridged the gap between the Old European cut and today''s Modern Brilliant Cut. The side diamonds are single cut and were typically used in older mountings but can be found in modern jewelry as well. Regardless of the history, it''s a beautiful ring. Enjoy wearing it!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 4:29:22 PM
Author: Sizzle
I really like this set. Pretty find. You can even get a band for the other side later! (always thinking of more bling)!
I would do that but I am honestly out of space. If I get a matching band it will go into my knuckles. I have short fingers with a lot of "webbing" between my fingers so my rings cannot go down as low. I already tried it which is how I know. I wouldn''t mind more bling either, but I am happy how it is
9.gif

Sadly no side shots. i can try tonight or tomorrow maybe. My camera battery died.

EstateJeweler, I was told that the transition cuts didn''t always have larger culets. This one technically has a very small one I was told. The reason why my jeweler also guessed as much was because the girdle is not faceted nor is it polished in any way. Is this incorrect information? Not that I truly mind since it was the setting I fell in love with first. Though it does look very similar to another diamond I have that I know was from 1925 (been in the family the whole time and we have a date stamped with the wedding date). No large culet on that one either. I am very interested to learn more though.

rudd.crux

Rough_Rock
It’s really stunning!

Though, I mostly preferred round cut diamond but this princess cut kept my eyes stunned.

Anyways Congratulation!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find! It looks fantastic with your band
10.gif
9.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
i love it! really, really pretty!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Good things come to those who wait! that is truly gorgeous and looks jsut right on your hand. I know you appreciate it and your hubby, too!

BTW, I know what you mean about not being to put a lot of bling on your hands. Mine are the same. I have long, long fingers (piano player) but none of the length is where you wear rings (below first knuckle). Its all in the joints above. And I have the webbing thing going on, too. Can''t put on wide rings or a big stack of rings or rings with larger sized stones. this is hard to explain to people who don''t have this ''problem'' but is how it is.

Beautiful; wear it in the best of health.

Aulie

Rough_Rock
Trade
It''s gorgeous and goes so well with the band! Great find!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh! I love it!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ooh - its beautiful - congratulations on finding such a lovely piece at a great price
9.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your find! I love that setting.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh,
30.gif
it! Awesome find.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s gorgeous! Great find there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results