shape
carat
color
clarity

My ER is 2-months old and looks significantly duller than when I first got it...

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
any idea what could be wrong? we cleaned it once in that time frame, maybe 2 weeks ago using Blitz (incl. in my purchase):

https://www.amazon.com/Blitz-Gem-Je...0661566&sr=8-1&keywords=blitz+jewelry+cleaner

here's a photo when i first received it:

20170128_120450_1485623782651.jpg

and today:

IMG_0324.jpg

the stone has a noticeable haze to it, the band and prongs look a lot darker.

any advice??

thanks!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soak it overnight in water and dawn dish washing liquid (a drop or two). Use a soft toothbrush (I use a baby toothbrush) to scrub it. Do this like 3 days in a row. Many people do this every night.

Do you sleep with it on?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds get so dirty, so fast!! Skin oils, lotions, perfumes, fingerprints, etc. can all make your diamond develop a film that some people confuse for haze within the stone. If you want to keep your ring nice and shiny, soak it in warm water with dawn and scrub it with a small brush at least once a week! :wavey:

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What kind of metal is the setting made of?

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
Soak it overnight in water and dawn dish washing liquid (a drop or two). Use a soft toothbrush (I use a baby toothbrush) to scrub it. Do this like 3 days in a row. Many people do this every night.

Do you sleep with it on?

thank you! she does not sleep with it on.

Diamonds get so dirty, so fast!! Skin oils, lotions, perfumes, fingerprints, etc. can all make your diamond develop a film that some people confuse for haze within the stone. If you want to keep your ring nice and shiny, soak it in warm water with dawn and scrub it with a small brush at least once a week! :wavey:

thanks so much - we'll do that.

What kind of metal is the setting made of?

platinum

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
I've found that if I don't keep my ring clean it loses its sparkle. I think that's probably all that's wrong with the ring.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
I clean my jewelry often. Usually, I use blue Dawn, just two or three drops in water. I let the jewelry soak for a while and then I soak whatever piece I am cleaning in clear water in a different container. Afterward, I use a baby toothbrush to gently clean the jewelry as I rinse it under water (be careful the drain is covered!). Sometimes, I add a splash of amonia to the Dawn. About once every three weeks, I soak my engagement ring, diamond band, diamond earrings, etc. in a mixture of 1/3 amonia and 2/3 water (as recommended by WF). I leave the diamonds in the mixture about 5-10 minutes and then I give them a brushing and rinse. The amonia gives the diamonds a great shine!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
hair spray is one of the worst things, super sticky on a diamond and hard to get off if let to build up.
Its a good idea not to put a ring, necklaces and earrings on in the morning until the hair spray is done.
A little dawn will take pretty much any lotion off so they aren't as bad.

A professional cleaning would be a good idea.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you've got it covered DF!:lol:

I'd be well equipped if I had your beautiful stones!:appl:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, can we all mail you our rings?!

edit: I mean to clean, and then we get them back :lol:

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
so, cleaning often makes a ton of sense to me.

that said, my fiancee's concern (it's her ring) is that her friend's ring (around the same age) appears to have not dulled at all and she apparently "never cleans it".

so - is there a possibility some stones, styles, etc. need to be cleaned more often or...?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape is her friends ring? I have a pear and I do think stones with typical more leakage than
rounds tend to look dirtier quicker. Well cut Round brilliants return a lot of light...pears and ovals...not
as much.

Edit...I give mine a quick wash everyday and longer cleanings about once a week.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Different people have different body chemistry. And maybe her friend doesn't use hand lotion or other products that will make jewelry look dull? Or perhaps her friend handwashes her dishes without gloves, and the ring gets cleaned every day that way, without her realizing it. :)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her friend might not be doing the same things (soap, lotion, hairspray, etc.), and she may be taking it off to do certain things that your fiancé may not be. Busier hands get dirty more quickly. Also, simple settings seem to show dirt less than more intricate ones. And platinum patinas in a different way than gold, and yellow gold especially seems to hide dirt better than platinum or WG.

She should take it in to be professionally cleaned. IDK what they do, but this makes my rings shine like new, even though I regularly clean them at home.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've started using my Ninja coffee bar to run hot water into my Yeti (with my jewelry & dawn dish soap in it) before bed, put the lid on, and letting them soak overnight. The Yeti keeps the water much hotter much longer than a regular dish or mug. I barely have to brush anything in the morning; rather, I gently put them all into a mesh coffee filter (one of those 'permanent' kind) and give everything a good rinse, blow them with my hair dryer, and voila ... clean & sparkle city!

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
What shape is her friends ring? I have a pear and I do think stones with typical more leakage than
rounds tend to look dirtier quicker. Well cut Round brilliants return a lot of light...pears and ovals...not
as much.

Edit...I give mine a quick wash everyday and longer cleanings about once a week.

her friends ring is round.

Her friend might not be doing the same things (soap, lotion, hairspray, etc.), and she may be taking it off to do certain things that your fiancé may not be. Busier hands get dirty more quickly. Also, simple settings seem to show dirt less than more intricate ones. And platinum patinas in a different way than gold, and yellow gold especially seems to hide dirt better than platinum or WG.

She should take it in to be professionally cleaned. IDK what they do, but this makes my rings shine like new, even though I regularly clean them at home.

great points. her friend's ring is a round stone in white gold setting.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My round never showed as much dirt as my asscher. Asscher has got to be the hardest shape to keep clean...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you cleaning them with ammonia-based cleaners at home? Ime the only thing that REALLY cleans the diamonds is ammonia... dunno what I'd do if I had a gold setting I couldn't leave soaking in it.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you cleaning them with ammonia-based cleaners at home? Ime the only thing that REALLY cleans the diamonds is ammonia... dunno what I'd do if I had a gold setting I couldn't leave soaking in it.

I use one of those commercial soaking products (with the basket that dips into the cleaning solution). I soak my rings overnight and use the little brush to scrub before rinsing in water and drying. They still never look as good as when the jeweler takes them into their back room and cleans them. Not sure if they use an ultrasonic cleaner or steam (or both), but it's dramatically different. And my hands are constantly being washed with Dawn blue soap (I cook a lot).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds attract oils and then gunk sticks to it. You'd be surprised, my friend was hysterical about her ER after wearing it to the beach. Suntan lotion is a beast, the diamond looked opaque! I clean mine every 3 days and use a silver cloth on the metal. Gently use toothbrushes when cleaning.

DiamondDense

Shiny_Rock
question: does any dish washing liquid work or does it have to be DAWN?

seems everyone is mentioning Dawn specifically.

thanks!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Any dish detergent. I am partial to Ivory.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dawn is the best and fastest but almost anything should work - just might require more soaking or scrubbing. Avoid anything moisturizing/creamy (like the opaque ones) because they can leave a film

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
I clean my diamonds by soaking overnight in vinegar and dish soap and, if needed, a gentle scrub with a soft bristle baby toothbrush. In a pinch I have used water, shampoo, and a toothbrush.

Your ring has pave so you should not use an ultrasonic cleaner as this can loosen the diamonds. If you take it to a jeweler to be cleaned, make sure they do not use an ultrasonic cleaner. Many jewelers have a steam cleaner which works well.

Let us know if cleaning your ring makes a difference. Maybe share before and after pics?

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I use my Kuerig & put hot water and Dawn dish soap in a small glass and let it soak for about 10 min, then use my ring toothbrush and brush it, then rinse with more Kuerig hot water, and dry with a paper towel. I do this almost everyday, so that my ring looks it's best at all time. I hate seeing my ring dull because of build up. I have a Crest heated Ultrasonic machine & Sharper Image steamer for when I want to do a deep clean.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
question: does any dish washing liquid work or does it have to be DAWN?

seems everyone is mentioning Dawn specifically.

thanks!

While others will work and I use generic for general dish washing I like Dawn for cleaning jewelry.
You never really know what your getting with the others.
Its not expensive and a small bottle will last a long time if just used for jewelry.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Dawn is so versatile as a cleaner. You can mix it will all sorts of things. I always keep a bottle on hand and not just for dishes.

Google it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results