shape
carat
color
clarity

My engagement ring (opinions!!)

nehap1986

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are taking a bit of an unorthodox approach in that I get to choose my engagement ring. I got some renderings and wanted to get your opinions (good and bad). I don't know if it'll end up being a bit top-heavy which i'm a little worried about since the band is a bit delicate. Thoughts? The center stone ins a 2.58 carat sapphire and a 0.6 carat worth of diamonds.

Pictures are below...

Ring2_5.png

Ring1_1.jpg

Ring3_0.jpg

Ring1_1.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
PSers tend to like big stones, so I don't think many people will tell you that it's top heavy. It looks beautiful! I love the east-west setting of the sapphire. The only concerns that come to immediately are:

-Do you want your wedding band to sit flush? The diamonds on the base of head look like they may rub against a band, or cause a band to not sit flush.
-With so much pave around such a thin band, you may want to consider if it would be okay with your lifestyle. I think it's a very pretty look, but I would not be able to wear this everyday, and would also accept having to do ring maintenance once a year for repairs.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It is gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. I do though echo the concerns about it being a bit tall / top heavy. May be easy to bang. Maybe a cathedral type setting would protect it more?

nehap1986

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your honest opinion!

In terms of the wedding band sitting flush - that was definitely a concern of mine, as well. I told my setter to ensure that it's set so that I can pair a wedding band closely with it.

Agree that this ring is probably a little too delicate to wear every single day. The truth is - I don't wear jewelry 24/7. I typically save it for occasions where i'm going out, maybe at work (although i'm a consultant so I just sit at a computer all day), but am conscious about taking rings off while showering, working out, etc. I imagine that i'll have to be careful of this.

Agree that this might be a little too delicate. I am worried about that!

Keep the opinions coming - Thank you for your responses!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE it. Great way to highlight a gorgeous sapphire!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
This is a lovely ring, and actually not that unconventional for Pricescope and the Colored Stones forum! There have been multiple threads recently about the durability of these kinds of settings. If that is a concern of yours, then you might want to do a quick search. I'll see if I can find the link to the most recent of those discussions.

As Pregcurious noted, with the current design there is no way a wedding band can sit flush, and because of the diamonds on the donut, any band that you do wear next to it will rub. Some people put spacer bands between the engagement ring and the wedding band for that reason. There have been some eye-opening photos posted of the damage that can occur when diamonds rub against metal, so you might want to check those out, too. How wide is the shank on this ring?

EDTA links:

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/are-rings-too-thin-these-days-t155780-30.html

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a beautiful sapphire! I love the look of the setting -- agree w/ caveats expressed above, though I don't think it's top-heavy. One thing I really like about the gallery is that it allows plenty of light into the stone.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone! I like the view of it, the overall impression. I think it will be a stunning to.g

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another concern is that it may spin on your finger. I have lots of big, high rings but if they spin it drives me mad! The pave band for an e-ring is also not practical because when it sits next to another ring can pose a durability issue. So, for me, the pave band and top heaviness would be considerations.

It's a gorgeous ring but for an e-ring I would want something that I could wear every day if I wanted not just on special occasions.

If you're having doubts then see if your jeweller can suggest modifications to make it more practical for you.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
That is a stunning engagement ring. It looks a bit like my beloved tanzanite ring so of course, I'm drawn to it. I think it's lovely. Enjoy it!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous, congratulations! I agree re the wedding ring/pave issue, but I don't think it is too high-set or large for comfort... :naughty:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think its absolutely gorgeous!! I think if you can handle not wearing it 24/7 you'll be fine. I take off my jewelry as soon as I get home and I never wear it to the gym, in the shower, or in bed. I pretty much only wear it to work or if I'm going out.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Simply gorgeous! Congratulations! I love the setting and that is a very rich blue if that is the stone you are getting. Very nice. Please update us with real pics if you get it! :D

What metal are you planning on making it out of? White gold, Platinum? I think if you are smart with when you do and don't wear the ring you will be fine.

~Justin

nehap1986

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions. I think i'm going with it with maybe fewer pave diamonds on the side. My jeweler stated that she'll be able to add sizing balls to the inside of the ring if it starts twirling around so that is a relief!!

As for the type of metal. We decided to go with 14k White Gold. I know everyone has their preferences / there are pros and cons to platinum and white gold, but I think we decided to go with the cheapest of the metals

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results