shape
carat
color
clarity

my engagement ring decision..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

catecath

Rough_Rock
I am wondering if we made the right decision..!
20.gif
we brought me a .76 carat, D S1 Hearts on Fire engagement ring for about $8k recently. As I understood the jeweler who explained the HOF difference, their cut is not only beyond ideal, but they buy only top 1% (v. 5% of many other high end retailers) of diamonds on the market to work with. Also, while Tiffanys and other high-end jewelers will sell you wonderful diamond rings, HOF is more exclusive in their offering of the color and perfection of the cut (v. Tiffanys/others who may only be able to provide the average % of the actual angles of the diamond cut; HOF offers exact % numbers). In this way, HOF offers truly the "nearest "perfection" in cut.

Now, having read the threads on HOF, I wonder if you all might share your comments on these points about HOF and whether you feel the price is right for my diamond ring? We still have the opportunity to return it at this point in time--my fiancee loves me so much that he gave me this ring
3.gif
, and I feel that if I can help him save some $$ I really want to!! The ring is quite beautiful of course--just want to make sure that we are making the best purchase for our value!!! THANK YOU ALL!!! Cath

PS--I might add I'm a ring size 3 which seems like a 1 carat would look like a big rock on me right??
1.gif
Not sure if it's worth upgrading to the 1 carat from .76 in my solitare setting to make the most of the beauty? I could see a difference b/t D and E colors which is why I'm adamant on D. I know that many on this forum have said that going to F/G did not present disappointment, but I noticed such a difference! not sure if it's due to the S1 vs. a better clarity of a VS1, or am I xtra sensitive!?? THANKS!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 3:08:26 AM
Author:catecath
I am wondering if we made the right decision..!
20.gif
we brought me a .76 carat, D S1 Hearts on Fire engagement ring for about $8k recently. As I understood the jeweler who explained the HOF difference, their cut is not only beyond ideal, but they buy only top 1% (v. 5% of many other high end retailers) of diamonds on the market to work with. Also, while Tiffanys and other high-end jewelers will sell you wonderful diamond rings, HOF is more exclusive in their offering of the color and perfection of the cut (v. Tiffanys/others who may only be able to provide the average % of the actual angles of the diamond cut; HOF offers exact % numbers). In this way, HOF offers truly the ''nearest ''perfection'' in cut.

Now, having read the threads on HOF, I wonder if you all might share your comments on these points about HOF and whether you feel the price is right for my diamond ring? We still have the opportunity to return it at this point in time--my fiancee loves me so much that he gave me this ring
3.gif
, and I feel that if I can help him save some $$ I really want to!! The ring is quite beautiful of course--just want to make sure that we are making the best purchase for our value!!! THANK YOU ALL!!! Cath

PS--I might add I''m a ring size 3 which seems like a 1 carat would look like a big rock on me right??
1.gif
Not sure if it''s worth upgrading to the 1 carat from .76 in my solitare setting to make the most of the beauty? I could see a difference b/t D and E colors which is why I''m adamant on D. I know that many on this forum have said that going to F/G did not present disappointment, but I noticed such a difference! not sure if it''s due to the S1 vs. a better clarity of a VS1, or am I xtra sensitive!?? THANKS!
I feel you are paying a hefty premium for a name. I found you the closest comperable stone I could. It''s Whiteflashes own branded diamond. I have seen HOF, and I own a pair of studs with ACA''s. Trust me, HOF is no better than WF ACA''s.

I think it''s sweet that your boyfriend wants a fabulous diamond for you, but when you see the price of this one vs. what HOF charges, well, it''s a lot. Whether it''s still worth it is up to you. Good luck!

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-33761.htm

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i seen hof as well and compared them to my own aca''s from whiteflash and i can tell you that the aca''s are every bit as beautiful. like you, i want to get a good deal and save the extra $$ if possible, so i choose the aca. that said, if you think it might cause any serious dissapointment from your s.o. i''m not sure it''s worth changing. you can absolutely get an awesome (bigger even!) diamond for much, much less but you need to make sure that your s.o. is on board with the idea first because it''s really not worth hurting his feelings over.

best of luck!

catecath

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much both of you who responded and fwd me the alternative diamonds...

I''ve been doing research on the Internet and I found a site, e-praise.com, not sure if that strikes a bell w/anyone?? I''ve also reviewed the dimensions of what makes an AGS ideal cut to help me understand the mystery of a beautiful cut even further :)

So...I took a look on bluenile.com and found a couple that seem to be really great buys. I think you are both right, best to return the ring I have and maybe surprise with happy news, my wonderful fiancee :) Not sure if you all know if it is possible to return a ring even if it were a custom setting? We got the ring from Christian Bernard and they had agreed that should the center ring not work out, we can exchange/return it but I''m not positive on the setting as they had to size it to 3 for my finger...

THANKS!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 8:49:18 AM
Author: catecath

Not sure if you all know if it is possible to return a ring even if it were a custom setting? We got the ring from Christian Bernard and they had agreed that should the center ring not work out, we can exchange/return it but I''m not positive on the setting as they had to size it to 3 for my finger...

THANKS!
more than likely, you will not be able to return the custom ring. custom pieces do not normally qualify for a full refund. the smaller size makes it even more unsaleable.
it sounds like you need to find out exactly what the policies are before you get to much farther along in this process.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 9:03:29 AM
Author: belle
more than likely, you will not be able to return the custom ring. custom pieces do not normally qualify for a full refund. the smaller size makes it even more unsaleable.
it sounds like you need to find out exactly what the policies are before you get to much farther along in this process.
Agreed. Possibly, they will take the diamond, but not the setting. That would be ok, as there are some vendors that will set their stone in an already bought setting. However, BN is not one of them as I understand it. I think their policy is the ring and diamond must be bought from them.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 9:09:12 AM
Author: Ellen

I think their policy is the ring and diamond must be bought from them.
that is what it sounds like to me too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results