shape
carat
color
clarity

My EGL experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indescisive

Rough_Rock
Not to say that this is a general case (it very well may be the exception), but I just thought I''d share this with everyone else:

I chose a nice princess cut (EGL cert''d 1.01, E, VS2) and was about to seal the deal (with the jeweler). I started examining the rock (a foot away with just the naked eye), though and saw some small brown specs through the side of the diamond... upon further inspection I found them to be inclusions. The owner said the clarity rating is generated by looking through the table and not the sides (to his credit, it was a bit difficult to find the inclusions through the top with a loop).

Now, the jeweler is a guy I trust, and I''ve heard a couple jewelers confirm his story. I''ve also heard other jewelers that were outraged at the clarity rating. Either way, I would just offer the following advice (which I wish I knew before my experience)... Look at the diamond under some type of magnification before you buy it. Even if you don''t mind the inclusions at least you know you''re not going to be surprised down the road.

Regardless, I decided to go with a different stone (incidentally from a different jeweler) and will hopefully be getting it back this weekend (GIA cert''d square princess 1.07 F VS2)!
9.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Inclusions can often be seen pavilion up, which are not visible face up. That's in part why stones are faceted they way they are.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Some people are bothered by inclusions that can be seen thru the pavillion. That can be the case with many stones no matter what Cert Lab did the grading. Good point to bring up, tho, Indecisive. Folks should always examine any diamond carefully from every angle to be certain they will be satisfied with their purchase over the long term.
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/26/2004 6:32:19 PM pqcollectibles wrote:

Some people are bothered by inclusions that can be seen thru the pavillion. ------------

So true. I made sure that when I was looking for a VS2 stone that I could see nothing from either the top or the side of the stone, since I am partial to open settings and gazing at it against the light.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results