shape
carat
color
clarity

My EC Re-set - The Whole Journey

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have finally re-set my 1.19ct E VS1 EC in its new forever home, a platinum diamond air-line halo made by diamondmounts of eBay, and to me, it is gorgeous! :love:

ecreset_a.jpg
ecreset_b.jpg
ecreset_c.jpg
ecreset_d.jpg
ecreset_e.jpg

The diamond was a 40th birthday present to myself, and the original ring was my first commissioned piece. I foolishly left the design of the ring to the jeweller after specifying the diamond must be bezel-set.

The ring turned out to be too high and the shank too narrow and boxy for my liking. I would wear it with a 2mm Titanium band to provide more finger coverage on my right middle finger. It worked well, however, it was not ideal. Here is the original ring on its own shortly before the re-set:

ecbezelset_2s_0.jpg

I knew I wanted it to be re-set, however, I thought the setting had sentimental value, in that my ex-hubby's wedding ring was melted down to form the ring. I realised this was highly unlikely to be the case as most jewellers prefer to work with new alloys to avoid contamination by dust and dirt during the casting processes.

Hence I decided to have it re-set in time for my 50th birthday next month.

The design is Art Deco inspired, and I love air-line halos.

I chose diamondmounts to make the new ring as they are listed in the "List of Vendors for Reference" in the Coloured Stone forum. The vibes and feedbacks are largely positively, however, please search PS as there are some negative feedback too.

The first CAD was rejected as the band looked too narrow, even though it was drawn to my specifications:

ecsemimountcadoriginal.jpg

I requested for the band to be increased, and approved the revised CAD immediately as its proportions looked more appropriate to me:

ecsemimountcadrevised.jpg

Here is the semi-mount on its own, in vendor's and my own pics, as well as being placed next to the original ring:

ecsemimount01.jpg
ecsemimount03.jpg

ecsemimounthandshot01.jpg
ecsemimountinbox.jpg
ecsemimountsideview.jpg

ecsemimounthandshot03.jpg
ecsemimounthandshot02.jpg

The finished ring is better than my expectations, and thank you PS, for your help and advice in the past 10 years.

DK :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful reset! It creates great finger coverage. And I love the contrast of the beautiful halo with the soft contoured metal shank.
Enjoy wearing your ring :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It loos beautiful. Congratulations on being persistent and getting what you really want! Do you ever wear it on your ring finger vs the middle one? just curious.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic reset. Congrats! :appl: Better finger coverage and the EC just pops.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
beautiful new reset. I too love the wide highly polished shank against the halo.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What an amazing transformation. Your ring was pretty before, but now it is stunning!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your reset is gorgeous! :love: So glad you are thrilled with it. Looks beautiful on your hand!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a big improvement over your first setting! Enjoy your new reset!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely! And An E :love: :love: :love: :appl:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous reset with great finger coverage :appl:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful :appl: love :love: love ECs

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk, that is a really lovely reset. :appl: :appl: :appl: It does your beautiful stone justice, and gives great finger coverage, yet still very proportional on your hand as a whole. Congratulations! Wear it in health.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love it! It looks transformed!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your kind words. :bigsmile:

I wore it at work all day, even under a glove when required, as I did not want to take it off!

When I wanted to get myself a RHR in 2004/5, I knew I wanted to wear it on my middle finger on its own, and it never occurred to me to wear it on the ring finger.

My weight has gone up since then, and my dress size had increased, as well as ring sizes.

The original ring was made as a 9.5 US, however, my new ring size is 10.5 US, and for the past 5 years or so I had to wear it on the ring finger, with the Titanium band holding it in place. It was not ideal as it had the tendency to spin.

At one stage I was thinking of re-sizing it, and get a small band to wear with it on the middle finger. However, it does not seem right to me, and decided to have a new setting made instead, so that I can wear the ring on its own again.

The air-line halo was not the first choice. The first choice was a BE/ERD ring that is a lot more elaborate and costly, and I was not in the position to have it made in time for my 50th birthday next month. Here is the BE/ERD ring I had in mind, perhaps I would get a nice emerald cut coloured stone like a pink Spinel or Sapphire and have it set like this one day:

rt-101.jpg

I do not feel I have made a compromise in settling for a lesser ring. It is a different ring and one that is more suited to my lifestyle, as I can wear it with casual clothes without make up or have my nails painted, as well as the full paint job in finer clothes for glitzier evening events. Much as I love the BE/ERD ring, I would not have much opportunities to wear it.

I just can't help it but to smile all day as I am so happy with the new ring. :love:

DK :bigsmile:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooooo, that is a beautiful new home for your lovely stone! I adore the original ring (biased, as my first engagement ring was a bezel set solitaire), but I totally get needing LOW set, and this is just amazing! Congratulations on the ring and your upcoming birthday too. :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful reset DK, the finger coverage is great! Thanks for sharing :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy for you that you are thrilled with the stone and enjoy wearing it. And rightfully so :love: :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might have overdone it a bit by posting in all the threads I can find relating to halo, bezel set, solitaire to halo before and after, eye candy etc. etc...

DK :bigsmile:

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I love your ring. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE this ring! :love: It turned out beautifully dk168, I've been following your reset threads and this ring seems to be exactly what you wanted, and it looks fabulous on your hand! :appl: The workmanship looks great, enjoy it and congratulations! And post this baby wherever you want!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a difference a new setting makes! Congrats to you! :appl:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Emjoy your new ring happy 50th

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Well done in the transformation!!!!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh what a redo, love how it turned out, great sparkle & finger coverage, your choices work, ooo la la!! :appl: ;))

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
[quote="dk168|1422653456|3824596]

The air-line halo was not the first choice. The first choice was a BE/ERD ring that is a lot more elaborate and costly, and I was not in the position to have it made in time for my 50th birthday next month. Here is the BE/ERD ring I had in mind, perhaps I would get a nice emerald cut coloured stone like a pink Spinel or Sapphire and have it set like this one day:

rt-101.jpg

[/quote]

This setting is amazing! I hope you do have it made one day..a vibrant coloured stone would look stunning in it!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new ring, it does show off the centre EC more and it gives fantastic finger coverage now as a bonus.... I have been eying off that setting at BE for while now, wondering what I could put with it, so you have excellent taste!!! :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words! :bigsmile:

I forgot to mention that I requested for the melees to be E/F instead of their normal G/H, and they look very white and sparkly to me.

My next ring with diamondmounts will have their normal G/H melees for a light blue EC Aquamarine, and I shall see if I can tell the difference when I have it made at the end of March 2015.

The Aqua will fit nicely in the BE/ERD setting, however, it will win the prize for the biggest difference between the centre stone and the setting!

DK :))

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
wow-looks amazing! congrats and happy bday!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Lovely! Congratulations and enjoy your beautiful re-set! :appl:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a transformation! Congratulations! It' s beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results