shape
carat
color
clarity

My east-west oval bezel e-ring

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I've been engaged for just over a year now, and back when my fiance and I were ring shopping this site was incredibly helpful in educating us about diamonds (making us considerably more educated on the topic than the people trying to sell us the stones at a few stores we went to (and promptly left)...)

Anyway, I posted one or two bad pictures of my ring right after I got engaged, but I finally have some decent pictures of it now courtesy of our engagement pictures (thank you Woodnote Photography!). I figured I'd post them, in case anyone is interested. The setting is a little scratched and dinged, as it has been worn pretty much 100% of the time for the last year, on many an adventure down rivers and up mountains, through jungles and in oceans (and also while doing boring things like dishes...). I know I should probably take it off for some of those things, but it is well-loved and makes me smile every time I look at it!

As for the details of the ring...
I knew I wanted something a little different for my stone. I decided I liked the look of an oval, and after looking at probably at least 50 of them I fell in love with this one. Some were larger or whiter but none sparkled more brightly and with so little "bow tie." It is a 1.00 ct (7.99 x 6.12 x 3.09) G SI1 (GIA). I have a very good eye, and even while looking at the certificate I cannot find the inclusions with my naked eye.
As for the setting, we had it made by a local jeweler because I couldn't find anything around here that was anything like what I was interested in. I knew I wanted a low-set bezel setting because I love the clean lines and didn't want to deal with the ring getting snagged on anything (I'm a pretty active girl). I also didn't want the ring to look overly modern, just clean and timeless, so I went with an open cathedral profile. My fiance suggested setting the ring "sideways," which gave the stone (I think) the impression of more finger coverage on my size 9 sausages! I loved the creaminess of unplated white gold, so that is the metal (14k wg-palladium alloy).

Anyway, thanks again for all the help back when we were shopping. I may need some more now that we're in the market for wedding bands. Hope you enjoy the pictures!

melissa_aaron-engagement-97.jpg

melissa_aaron-engagement-99.jpg

melissa_aaron-engagement-101.jpg

melissa_aaron-engagement-69.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing ring! Love to see a good oval, especially when set east-west!

Looks like any low set wedding band would sit flush next to it!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's a gorgeous oval! Great job and I love the setting!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I LOVE the profile!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
That is a fantastic oval! I really like the modern setting too, very cool. I would stare at that all day! :love:

Congratulations on your one year anniversary too!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
really magnificent!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
thanks guys, I appreciate it!
I know in comparison to some of the masterpieces on this site my ring is more simple, but it is perfect for me and makes me glow whenever I look at it (which is all the time).
I thought maybe I'd get a diamond eternity band as a wedding ring to add a little more bling to my finger, but if the stones are big enough for the ring to look OK on my big finger without the e-ring I feel like it's too much with the e-ring, and if the stones are small enough to not look silly with the e-ring I feel like they just kinda get lost. I honestly liked the look of a 4 mm plain band the best, but we'll see - I've got more shopping to do! ;-) My fiance is getting a damascus steel band (he had a WG band during his last marriage and felt like it got way too beat up, and he likes to look of the damscus), so I might look into a very subtle mokume gane plain band for myself so there's a little similarity, but we'll see!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love it!!! Fantastic ring. And your fiancé has a beard... all the good ones do! :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!! :love: Wear in health and happiness!!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Beautiful! I gotta admit that I'm not usually a fan of ovals but your east west setting is divine!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooh!!! Very nice!!! I really love that E/W setting, mjertl!! Awesome choice - and I completely agree with a blingy eternity band! :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is absolutely divine - lovely clean lines, very classic, but the E/W gives it a unique twist. Enjoy, it's beautiful. :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I love your ring! I am a bezel/sleek/clean lines girl myself and have my ec set E-W. Your diamond is really beautiful :love: :love: :love:
I think either a plain or blingy would look great, I went with a diamond band but now I'm considering a plain band for an alternative because it will highlight the architecture of the ering. My band is a 5 stone so I have turned it around to get an idea of what a plain band would look like and It's so clean/sleek, really highlights the bezel. Plus I can wear either depending on my mood & the occassion.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I love it! Normally I'm not a fan of E/W set stones but your oval looks perfect and I love the setting :love:

I agree with woofmama that your e-ring would look great with a plain band (or get one plain band and one diamond band :Up_to_something: ). If you go with diamonds, I would get something that still has the smooth and sleek look of your e-ring:

Channel band:
http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=1053&show_metal=18K%20White%20Gold

Bezet band:
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=GRP02696&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+1-p+2-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+bezet&search=1

Bezel band:
http://www.whiteflash.com/right-hand-rings/danielle-jazz-bezel-diamond-right-hand-ring-174.htm

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote would be something like the bezet - made in the unplated wg to match your er!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely GORGEOUS. I love the setting and the stone is gorgeous! Plus I love an east/west set stone!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that nice clean setting - good job! I also think it would look great with a band that's slightly wider than the shank of the e-ring.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful oval!! I love how sleek the ring looks. Congratulations!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
:love: It's so effortlessly cool! It's simple yet not plain at all. It's very sheek. I love it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love east/west settings! congrats. its lovely and it looks great on you, too! :love:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
EEEK! Ovals! Bezels! East West!!! YES!!! You combined 3 of my favorite things and it's stunning!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
GreenBling|1353337482|3310096 said:
:love: It's so effortlessly cool! It's simple yet not plain at all. It's very sheek. I love it.

"effortlessly cool" - that's like the best compliment ever, thanks!

I do like the bezet band. It's only 2.6 mm wide though, and my shank is 2.5 mm wide - when I turn my ring around backwards I feel like it's a bit too thin. Perhaps I could have something similarish made with a 3 or 3.5 mm width...

My fiance did say that if I did go with a plain band, I could certainly get an eternity ring for my right hand when we have kids or for a special anniversary or something... :naughty: Not that he's trying to encourage me one way or the other, but if I felt like I wanted something simpler for my wedding band I wouldn't have to forever sacrifice the idea of bling was his point, I think.

imposterpockets

Rough_Rock
Your ring is beautiful. I love the simplicity of it.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
It's wonderful! COngratulations!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
img_2650_1.jpg
img_2661.jpg

aw, thanks guys! Here are a couple of pictures of it with my new wedding band. It has 21 2 point diamonds that are bezel set with miglraining :) I got it made so that the width and height and metal color all match my e-ring exactly, so I'm very happy!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
That is a fabulous wedding band! Can you share where you purchased it? I love the overall look of your set!

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
What a perfect pairing, wow!! I'd long admired your oval e-ring and wondered what you'd decided wrt a wedding band. That design is really beautiful and the 2 rings together are PERFECTION. :love:

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
thanks again for the compliments! I have to admit, I'm not married yet (9/21/13), but I love the wedding band so much I've been wearing it. My fiance and I have been facing a lot of stress (an impending move to a new city for new jobs, selling a house, buying a house, finishing our wedding planning, me studying for my boards for my career, and our beloved cat is very ill and we'll have to put him down very soon...), and wearing the wedding band just makes me HAPPY every time I look at it, because I think it's beautiful (alone and with my e-ring), and it reminds me of this wonderful man, who is my partner, who is literally the BEST thing in my life, and who is my rock through all these changes we're facing right now.

Anyway, to answer your question, we had both rings made at a place named Kesslers. I believe they only have locations in Wisconsin, but maybe also northern Illinois or Minnesota (though I think just WI). Their website is kinda annoying (and their radio commercials are super annoying, I initially didn't want to go there because the commercials make me gag), but I love that they will replace your stone with equal specs (not just equal to what you paid for it) if you lose it, replace the band and/or stone if you put it through the garbage disposal, etc. As a result, they get all their stones GIA certified and only carried excellent + cuts, so they can assure they're comparing apples to apples.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results