shape
carat
color
clarity

My earth-mined 1.5ct J, VS2 vs. lab 2.6ct, E, VVS2 (HPHT)

TwoPointSixFourCt

Rough_Rock
Mined 1.5ct. J vs. HPHT lab 2.6 ct E

Holy blue nuance! I just got this 2.64 ct. and there is certainly a blue nuance, but I don’t see it in natural light. It’s just too similar to the 1.5 ct J, VS2 that I already have. I think I’m going to return it for an oval. This makes me leery of getting another HPHT diamond.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock

Holy blue nuance! I just got this 2.64 ct. and there is certainly a blue nuance, but I don’t see it in natural light. It’s just too similar to the 1.5 ct J, VS2 that I already have. I think I’m going to return it for an oval. This makes me leery of getting another HPHT diamond.

I could be wrong, I can only speak from my experience, but this exact thing happened to me. It was not blue nuance, it was actually what a well cut stone should look like. My earth mined stayed white too so it threw me off... wait to see if you can get more feedback.

@Karl_K

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Link shared with me:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Did the site you bought it off of have a video and if so can you link it?
Or post the report number and see if @DejaWiz can find a video.

TwoPointSixFourCt

Rough_Rock
Did the site you bought it off of have a video and if so can you link it?
Or post the report number and see if @DejaWiz can find a video.

Deja, has been hugely helpful to me on Reddit and found some issues with the HPHT diamond. I reached out to him/her earlier this evening. I’ll post the video tomorrow morning.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you posted in the wrong forum...this needs to be moved to the lab grown forum.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
HPHT is perfectly fine in most cases, as long as certain things are screened for (blue nuance and clouding, primarily). Your particular diamond appears to lean towards more steely-gray/steely-blue in regards to body color. It is well proportioned which is why it goes quite dark in indirect lighting: it is in full-on dispersion mode which we see as fire (colored light flashes).
breanne posted a link to a great example of that phenomenon that Garry made...plus her videos of her new diamond which has a similar performance personality (tons of stunning fire!).

Assess it from the side profile in various lighting conditions to gauge if the grayish/bluish is visible and bothersome to your eyes.

Here is an example of a blue nuance diamond, posted by another PS member not too long ago:

EF1EEA9C-3AAA-4B8D-8482-53034A8D3D9E (1).jpeg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Honestly, your lab diamond doesn't look blue nuanced to me, it looks like my D color, super ideal, earth mined looks, like a clear, cool glacial lake. Perhaps it looks blue to you because you are used to a much warmer J color diamond?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results