shape
carat
color
clarity

My e-ring with antique rose cut diamonds!

Kalota

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to see what people think of my engagement ring, I got it a few weeks ago and I think it's taken me while to start to grow to like it (not what I was originally thinking of getting, plus it is very big on my small hand) - so I wanted to see what others think of it!

It is a three stone ring that we had custom made with antique rose cut diamonds from my great grandmother's engagement ring.

The middle diamond is .5, and the side diamonds are around .3.

I guess I am pretty happy with it, the only thing that really bothers me is that after less than a week of wearing it, the palm side of the 18ct white gold band is heavily scratched, even though I've been very careful with it, but I guess this is just normal wear and tear.

What do you think?!

:)

20120930_142446.jpg

20120930_142521.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful :love: I love the sentiment! I am a hugeeee sentimental gal, and am jealous of people who have items passed down from loving family members.

But.. I don't think these are rose cuts. These def look like OMCs.
Here is a quick google search to show you what rose cuts look like:
http://www.google.com/search?client...A&biw=1155&bih=604&sei=0t5nUOWZEO7miwKytoCQDw

and what yours appears to be:
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/view.php?SHAPE=OM

Either way, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" as penned by Shakespeare. It's gorgeous, and I hope you wear it in happiness and health. Congratulations on your engagement. :appl:

Kalota

Rough_Rock
madelise|1348981389|3276725 said:
Beautiful :love: I love the sentiment! I am a hugeeee sentimental gal, and am jealous of people who have items passed down from loving family members.

But.. I don't think these are rose cuts. These def look like OMCs.
Here is a quick google search to show you what rose cuts look like:
http://www.google.com/search?client...A&biw=1155&bih=604&sei=0t5nUOWZEO7miwKytoCQDw

and what yours appears to be:
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/view.php?SHAPE=OM

Either way, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" as penned by Shakespeare. It's gorgeous, and I hope you wear it in happiness and health. Congratulations on your engagement. :appl:

Hi madelise! Thanks for your reply! :)

That's funny you say that, because we had it valued at two different jewellers and they both appraised the diamonds as being rose cuts! :confused: I wonder if I should get them revalued! I thought it was funny that two separate jewellers appraised them as being rose cuts, as they have a very small flat surface on the top, whereas rose cuts have a point - but both of them said the same thing that it is a variation of a rose cut. They said it is not an old mine cut because they are circular in shape - not squarish like OMC.

I might seek another valuer now!

What would be the implications of the diamonds being old mine cut rather than rose cut? I don't know much about this cut of diamond.

Thanks again for your reply!

Edited to add: I just did a quick google - maybe they are old european cuts?! I'm going to go to a different jeweller and have them valued now...

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SOOOO pretty!! Please don't worry about the bottom - it can be polished and re-dipped. Just enjoy your beauty!!

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, did they transform. I couldn't see the flat table in the other photos. Very nice stones. They could very well be a combination or a hybrid so to speak. Whatever they are, they are beautiful and a very nice size. I agree, enjoy them because they are special and their yours. What more do you need ;-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kalota|1348988527|3276743 said:
Hi madelise! Thanks for your reply! :)

That's funny you say that, because we had it valued at two different jewellers and they both appraised the diamonds as being rose cuts! :confused: I wonder if I should get them revalued! I thought it was funny that two separate jewellers appraised them as being rose cuts, as they have a very small flat surface on the top, whereas rose cuts have a point - but both of them said the same thing that it is a variation of a rose cut. They said it is not an old mine cut because they are circular in shape - not squarish like OMC.

I might seek another valuer now!

What would be the implications of the diamonds being old mine cut rather than rose cut? I don't know much about this cut of diamond.

Thanks again for your reply!

Edited to add: I just did a quick google - maybe they are old european cuts?! I'm going to go to a different jeweller and have them valued now...

Rose cuts have a flat back and a faceted top. Your's definitely has a flat table. Jewelers usually don't know what they're talking about in terms of old stuff :wink2: and their "appraisals" should be taken very lightly. If you want a good appraisal, go to a gemologist that is an independent appraiser and does not sell jewelry.

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers this should help you find someone local to you. A lot of people on PS have mailed things out to Neil Beaty or David Atlas, so if you really don't have anyone local, you can always do that.

I can hardly see the stones in the small photo, but it definitely appears to have the "wonk" shape of OMCs or earlier OECs? OMCs don't have to be square at all, as seen in the link I provided to OWD's OMC inventory. But, now that I'm paying more attention, yours don't have larger culets that are usually signature to OMCs. Yeah, maybe they're just earlier OECs with a wonkier shape? I'm saying wonky cus I am having trouble seeing, and it appears to not be round, but more OFF-round.

Can you post better photos? I'm sure our PS resident pros would be able to tell you for sure what type of cut they are ;)) Heck, Dreamer D was able to label her more modern, american antique better than any of the EGL gemologists.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful and congrats on your engagement!

Ditto what madelise said. They are not rose cuts. Rose cuts are flat on bottom and faceted on top. Let me know if you want a pic of what that looks like in a real antique old rose cut. The newer rose cuts remakes just don't have the same glow as an actual old rose cut, IMO.

If we could get a clearer photo, like madelise said, a better identification of whether they are OMC or OEC could be possible, but even in your photo I can see the tall crown and small table. Maybe try going by a bright window or outside under a tree? Photographing it sitting on leaves or flowers is also popular as they make a good backdrop and seem to photograph well.

The girdles look interesting also, because the stones actually look like they have one...but I'm still a newbie at the old stones and maybe one of the more experienced people will see this soon...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, rose cuts have flat backs, and yours look like there is both a faceted top and a faceted bottom, which would put them in old mine cut territory (they don't look like OECs).

HOWEVER, whatever they are, your ring is beautiful! And how nice that you were able to re-use your great-grandmother's stones.

(And yes, the palm side of rings gets scratched easily. Eh. No one ever really sees that side anyway.)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, not rose cuts i can see the backs are not flat and they have culets. I think maybe time for a different appraiser ;))

Your ring is really pretty and your diamond so special and unique. I would love to see more and closer photos.

ETA: For what its worth, based only on those photos I think its pretty obvious those are earlier OECs.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I think it's beautiful! And I agree, I would give anything to have a diamond from my grandmother. Such a wonderful sentiment and link to your ancestors.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do I think? It's GORGEOUS!! :love:

Congrats!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1349030360|3276934 said:
Yeah, not rose cuts i can see the backs are not flat and they have culets. I think maybe time for a different appraiser ;))

Your ring is really pretty and your diamond so special and unique. I would love to see more and closer photos.

ETA: For what its worth, based only on those photos I think its pretty obvious those are earlier OECs.

I agree, not rose cut.

Kalota

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!!! I am definitely going to go to an independent appraiser to get them valued now, and find out what they actually are! Unfortunately I live in Australia so no appraisers were found on the Pricescope search for my state, but I'll try to do so,e research and find someone reputable!

But thanks for all the replies, I always thought it was funny when they said they were rose cuts when they had a flat facet on the top, and the bottom isn't flat!

:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results