shape
carat
color
clarity

My dress came in and its too small!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
My dress came in on Friday and I tried it on for the first time yesterday...and its way too small on my hips. I was so afraid it was going to rip while I had it on. At first we tried putting on over my head, this did not work. So then I stepped into and after a few minutes I was zipped in...tight as a sardine. I''m trying to get in my alterations lady today to get an honest opinion, b/c the girl at the bridal shop did not seem to think it was a big deal at all...easy for her she doesn''t have to wear it.

I normally wear a 2-4, so a wedding dress size 6 I figured would not be a problem. When they took my measurements to order the dress everything was right on for the size 6, except my hips were a tiny bit larger.

Please cross your fingers that it can be let out enough to look flattering on me. Of course since my wedding is next month its too late to order another dress, unless I can convince them to sell me something off the rack or find one at resale shop or online.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i''m so sorry to hear about your dress drama! hopefully, you''ll get in to see your seamstress and she''ll tell you something along the lines of "Don''t worry. it''s so easy to let out the dress a little and you are going to look absolutely stunning!!"

my fingers are crossed.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry! What a pain! I hate the way they size wedding/formal dresses. It is so confusing. I am a 2/4 also but my wedding dress is an 8
33.gif
No sense. What did the dress shop say? Is there anyway they can let it out alittle? Oh....I feel so bad for you!!!!!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m not having my alterations done at the bridal salon because they are super expensive there, not to mention they were not concerned at all, b/c they know I can''t return it and I''m stuck.

There is another lady that is THE lady for bridal alterations in Houston, so I plan to use her because I know she''ll be honest, reasonable, and do a good job. I''m about to call her in a few minutes when her shop opens to see if I can meet with her today or tomorrow...we''ve been playing phone tag. I''m so frustrated with everything that I don''t like the dress anymore.

Tiffany1976

Shiny_Rock
Appletini,

You should buy a shaper or something like it for your appointment. They sometimes can make a big difference. I bet your seamstress will be able to fix it no problem.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Tiff,

I do have some of those spanks things...and OMG those are tight. I wore them to my FIs company Christmas party under my dress, he said he thought it made all the alcohol go straight to my head, not to mention he laughed at me b/c I looked like a grandma...hopefully those will help.

I looked at my meausurements vs the size chart and I''m 1/2 an inch larger in the hips than the dress. Hopefully there is enough to let out.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Tiffany1976

Shiny_Rock
I have spanks too! They are sooooo grandma looking! But they do work! Half of an inch won''t be a problem, don''t worry, it will be okay.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried spanx as well and while it looked really good it kept rolling down and driving me CRAZY! Did anyone else have this problem?

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I hate that spanx have the seam in the middle and not on the side, b/c it can show through clothes.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Appletini,
I am so sorry for you! That must be very frustrating. Hopefully it won''t be too difficult letting out the hips.
I''m not seamstress, but 1/2 inch shouldn''t be too bad, right? Good luck,
my fingers are crossed for you too.
35.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
appletini -- your dress will look smashing! i know that it''s frustrating right now, but it THE seamstress will be able to solve the problem. i can''t stand to think that you are hating such a beautiful dress. i just looked back at the old thread and i absolutely love the style. it''s going to work out!

side note:

spanx -- i tried some on the other day (but couldn''t purchase them because neiman marcus only takes amex???) anyway, i was trying on a pair that has loops so you can attach your own bar and therefore eliminate any rolling down that might happen. this probably won''t help though for girls wearing strapless or bra-less...

do you all think they are worth the price?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Appletini, I''m so sorry! But don''t worry, a half inch will be no problem, and you do have the best seamstress in the area!!

Please let us know what she says
1.gif

sosst7

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry to hear about your dress drama BUT I am sure that THE seamstress will be able to do her magic and you will love it again. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you!

If it makes you feel better, my DW is May 12 but I will be leaving on May 6 and my dress has not even come in yet! I am trying my hardest not to freak out and like you, the bridal shop doesn''t seem too concerned.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I just talked to her, and I have an appt at 4pm on Monday. She said that wedding dresses usually have a little extra fabric, so hopefully there will be room to let it out. One good thing is that I don''t have to wear a bra with it, unless I feel like wearing my sticky boobs. And it doesn''t need to hemmed in the front, but I will changing the train from a chapel to a sweep.

sosst--have you called your bridal salon about the arrival date? I put a rush order on mine to get it the end of March. When I called they contacted the dress co to get an eta and were given a tracking number. I hope your dress gets here soon.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
oh apple! that sucks!! i''m so sorry that this is happening. don''t you hate it when salse people are all nice and helpful, then become useless lumps as soon as they get your money?!
29.gif
Have faith, if it can be done, Alrene will do it. She''s got TONS of experience adn I have no doubt you will look SMASHING on your big day!

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
Crossing my fingers and toes!!!!!

Don''t worry, I''m sure 1/2 an inch will be no problem. I once had a similar problem with a BM dress I had to wear and they were able to let it out perfectly so it fit like a glove.

Also, you might drop a few pounds this month--everyone says those last few weeks are so stressful and/or exciting that eating is not a priority! (It is already happening to me and I got 4 weeks to go too.)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry it''s happening to you! I adore your dress, I hope it''ll be perfect for your day!

But I''m a bit confused... Don''t they usually order the size that fits your largest measurement so the rest can be taken in? Why did they order the 6 if it''s ½ an inch to small at the hips?

tanyak

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 12:52:11 PM
Author: anchor31
I''m sorry it''s happening to you! I adore your dress, I hope it''ll be perfect for your day!

But I''m a bit confused... Don''t they usually order the size that fits your largest measurement so the rest can be taken in? Why did they order the 6 if it''s ½ an inch to small at the hips?
Yes, I was wondering that, too. I''m not saying you were this way, but when we ordeedr my BM dresses, the sizes apparently run a little smaller than street clothes as well. A couple of my BMs were horrified at the sizes the girl suggested they order, and they ended up ordering closer to their street sizes. I hope the dresses fit when they get in!

All that said, a 1/2 inch really isn''t that much. I''m sure the seamstressa can make it work.
1.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I'd be SO pissed at the Bridal Salon.
It's their job to know - and advise you, that's why we pay them.
They should have warned you, jerks!
If I were you I'd make it their problem.
Sorry, that's just makes me mad. We put our trust in these people. Grrr...

But, everything will work out fine. 1/2 an inch shouldn't be a big problem.
I might take a out a little insurance policy - Pilates - 4 times a week till your wedding. (And 30-40 mins of cardio a day.) It works magic - and it's really good stress relief.

Scintillating...

appletini

Ideal_Rock
My FI said he''d do Bikram Yoga with me (he''s never wanted to do this, I think its just to make sure that I go).

I think bridal salons make a lot of their money in alterations, well thats too bad b/c I''m taking my alterations business elsewhere. The quote for the hem was over $200, and my cleaners could do that for $20.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a La Sposa which is made by pronovias and I have the same problem. The dress came smaller than I expected! I''m not going to wear a bustier type undergarment which will save a little bit of room and I''m trying a lose a couple of lbs. Your seamstress should also be able to let out the dress a tiny bit.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oh no... what a headache, apple!! sounds like you have a great seamstress though, so hopefully she will be able to take care of the problem!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
You''re such an itty bitty thing.. its hard to imagine anything too small for you! I''m sure they can let it out enough for you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wore my spanx under my dress, it does make a difference. and they are only what, $20? no biggie, i think i have two pairs, a black one and a nude one. i wear them for all special occasion type things where i want smooth lines. they have some really funky long ones too, yikes. i wear the regular ones!

sorry to hear it''s a little small, apple...that dress sizing is surely for the birds! i was so jazzed to be able to fit into the sample store dress which is a size 8 and i am probably a size 8-10 in regular clothes so i was TOTALLY confused as to how the dress i ended up with managed to be the right size in normal retail rather than wedding dress retail!

i''m sure that your seamstress will be able to take it out a bit, not sure but can you lose any weight around your butt or something? even a little bit may do it. haha i feel bad telling you that, but just a thought!

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
The same things happened to me, my size 6 was too small in my ribcage. The lady at the shop insisted I get a 6 and low and behold it was too small..and in an area where you can''t lose weight!!! They took it out a bit and it fit fine, and as a laugh- on my wedding day I had lost so much "stress" weight- the dress was then too big!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
The odd thing is that I''ve had a terrible canker sore in my mouth all week (4 small ones merged into 1 big one, and its finally starting to heal) so I haven''t been able to eat much, so for all of my pain and suffering I''m hoping to lose a pound or two from that. I''m in my busy time at work and have things planned everynight so its hard to find the time to exercise.

All of my regular clothes fit fine so I haven''t gained anything.

I talked with my FMIL last night (my FIs sister got her dress from the same shop) and she''s just as upset as I am. I''m going to do some scouting this afternoon to see if I can find a back up plan in case I need it.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Appletini- If you ever get a horrible canker sore like that again, you should try Canker Cover.
I get canker sores several times a year (usually because I bite my lip or something equally fabulous). This year I got a canker sore the size of a small country and I was desperate for something to make it go away. I have to say the canker cover works It is a patch that you hold onto the sore and it slowly becomes gel patch that protects the sore overnight while you sleep. (the directions do not say overnight, but TRUST ME- you don''t want to mess with it during the day because it actually is quite yucky).

The gel that forms is pretty yucky, but it makes the sore feel so much better and by the next day- it will already begin to heal.

I won''t work as well on sores that are really close to the edge of the lip because it can''t get moiste, but if your sore is closer to your teeth- it is amazing!

The box has 6 patches and costs about $12, but it''s worth it!

I hope your mouth feels better cause I know how bad they hurt!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Jorman,
Thanks for the tip...I can''t wait to try it. You need to add that to the canker sore thread.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Apple, I''m sooo sorry to hear you''re having drama! But I''m sure that it will all be OK in the end. 1/2 inch is not that much at all, I''m sure Arlene will be able to take it out!!

BTW, about the spanx, I just ordered one of the ones that has those loops to attach to your bra so it doesn''t roll down....I''ll let you all know how it is when it gets here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results