Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

My Dress and I - Not friends right now

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
2,260
So. My dress.......

Is a sample from a bridal salon which had closed down. I saw it advertised online and went to try it on. It fit. I liked it. Price was good. I bought it.

I tried it on again last night and had my mum take some photos (my theory being it would be easier to take photos with me when picking shoes, hairstyles, flowers, BM dress etc to make sure colour/style were right) and also so I could try on different heel heights with it to see what hight shoes I can get.

The verdict is I have to wear flats or else the underskirt lining thing looks too short as it is about at least an inch shorter than the chiffon. Not very effing impressed about wearing flat shoes. I don't like them for special occasions, I don't feel dressy or attractive in them. Also, I would never wear dressy flats again so I wouldn't bother getting really amazing ones. I love shoes. They make me feel good. I love the nice long slim look they give me. Feeling very bummed about the lack of beautiful wedding heels. However, if I were being positive I'd say that FI is only 1/2 an inch or so taller than me so I guess it's good for me not to look like a giantess next to him.

I'm also noticing that I am less than pleased with the sleeve situation. I first thought they were cute. Now I think they look a bit wanky. Just something about not enough shoulder coverage and being so thin where they join the dress pisses me off. Also it leaves a lovely little triangle of space for people to admire my armpit fat. I don't feel very comfortable with my arms uncovered but I realise most wedding dresses are sleeveless (I have KP on my upper arms which looks like lots of little red bumps and all I can see is my ugly red arms.)
I was thinking I'd make little chiffon cap sleeves or something if I didn't like the sleeves that come with the dress but it just doen't look good. Poo.

I am also having a dress identity crisis; is this dress me? Why have I got something with sparkly boobs and a massive foofy train when I am so NOT a foofy person and do not at all like being the centre of attention. A dress like this is pretty far from the nice simple classy vision I had for our wedding. A nice cocktail dress would be much more me. FI thinks a floofy dress is me, the suppressed little girl in me that does want to be a foofy little princess :rolleyes:

My mum thinks I'm being stupid and loves the dress as it is.

I don't know what I want now. I don't think I want a new dress, I just really want to love this dress. When I first put it on I really like it, but a few moments later I'm feeling pretty bummed out about all the little things that I think is wrong with it. I guess I would appreciate some honest opinions, even if those opinions are "That looks like sh*t on you, you look like a gigantic cross dressing oompa luumpa, go buy a new dress"

Please excuse my hair in this too- It's long and I've shoved it up into a clip so you can see the dress and because my mum thinks it needs to be off my shoulders.

Dress Back Belladonna.jpg

Dress bodess belladonna.jpg

Dress Front Belladonna.jpg

Dress side-ish Belladonna.jpg
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
I think it's lovely! But, if you're not comfortable, then you should look into other options. Can you alter the sleeves so you are more comfortable?
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
OK...I like the sleeves. and I like the color on you.

I think it looks too small in the top. I am not sure if you are maybe just not wearing the right bra? but I think with some alterations it would look really beautiful on you! the most important thing though is that you have to /feel/ gorgeous in the dress, and if you don't, maybe look around some more?
 

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
2,260
centralsquare|1315784282|3015383 said:
I think it's lovely! But, if you're not comfortable, then you should look into other options. Can you alter the sleeves so you are more comfortable?
Thanks for the quick feedback. I would love to alter the sleeves, I just have no idea how to to make it look better or make me feel more comfortable :confused:

slg47 said:
OK...I like the sleeves. and I like the color on you.

I think it looks too small in the top. I am not sure if you are maybe just not wearing the right bra? but I think with some alterations it would look really beautiful on you! the most important thing though is that you have to /feel/ gorgeous in the dress, and if you don't, maybe look around some more?
This is not the bra I'm going to wear with it. I haven't bought one yet because I have no idea what I'm going to be able to get in my size which will work under this. The unfortunate reality is I wear at 34FF so no matter what I wear, it is going to look a little vulgar and massive in the boob region- it's not the dress, it's me. Honestly, out of all the different necklines this looked the least busty. I have tried it without a bra but it just kind of looses it's shape. To get one a better fit it would have to be custom made for my measurements or would be a very large size with major alterations everywhere else and still then no guarantees. I don't like the bar wench boob look either. So yes, I agree with you, but it's not something I want to obsess over if I don't have to because I'm not sure their is much I can do about it.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
4ever|1315789876|3015460 said:
centralsquare|1315784282|3015383 said:
I think it's lovely! But, if you're not comfortable, then you should look into other options. Can you alter the sleeves so you are more comfortable?
Thanks for the quick feedback. I would love to alter the sleeves, I just have no idea how to to make it look better or make me feel more comfortable :confused:

slg47 said:
OK...I like the sleeves. and I like the color on you.

I think it looks too small in the top. I am not sure if you are maybe just not wearing the right bra? but I think with some alterations it would look really beautiful on you! the most important thing though is that you have to /feel/ gorgeous in the dress, and if you don't, maybe look around some more?
This is not the bra I'm going to wear with it. I haven't bought one yet because I have no idea what I'm going to be able to get in my size which will work under this. The unfortunate reality is I wear at 34FF so no matter what I wear, it is going to look a little vulgar and massive in the boob region- it's not the dress, it's me. Honestly, out of all the different necklines this looked the least busty. I have tried it without a bra but it just kind of looses it's shape. To get one a better fit it would have to be custom made for my measurements or would be a very large size with major alterations everywhere else and still then no guarantees. I don't like the bar wench boob look either. So yes, I agree with you, but it's not something I want to obsess over if I don't have to because I'm not sure their is much I can do about it.
yeah...I understand. I wear a 32E and it is sometimes impossible to find clothes. I wonder if they could let it out a little in the top? I don't think it looks vulgar, but maybe if they let it out a little it would look better.
 

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 26, 2010
Messages
202
I was debating on whether I should say anything or not, but...Are you crazy? You look incredible in that dress. You should listen to your mother.

Having said that, it is obviously incredibly important that you FEEL great on your wedding day. If I were you, I'd take dress to good seamstress and have bra SEWN IN to the dress. You should prob precede this with trip to good lingerie store.

You can't see back fat or underarm fat in the pictures. Are you wearing a veil? This will give you some coverage for whatever it is that you are criticizing yourself about.

And, I'm only saying it b/c I can't help myself. Have you seen Mad Men? You kind of have the Joan Hollaway thing going on. Your fiancé will cry tears of joy when he sees you in that dress. :appl:
 

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
4,384
Ok so here is my 100% honest opinion. I read what you wrote before looking at the pictures and this is what stood out most to me:


"The verdict is I have to wear flats or else the underskirt lining thing looks too short as it is about at least an inch shorter than the chiffon. Not very effing impressed about wearing flat shoes. I don't like them for special occasions, I don't feel dressy or attractive in them. Also, I would never wear dressy flats again so I wouldn't bother getting really amazing ones. I love shoes. They make me feel good. I love the nice long slim look they give me."

On your wedding day, you should feel absolutely beautiful. You should love the shoes you're wearing if you really love shoes and you should really love your dress. You said it yourself: shoes make you feel good. So, shoes in this case are very key.

I first saw the back and thought, "wow that is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL dress."

I saw the second photo and thought, "PRETTY!" I don't think it looks too small there. I just get that you have larger breasts so they'll of course be "out" more. That's fine. I didn't notice the armpit fat you speak of either...you're nitpicking like every normal bride :) I absolutely LOVE, LOVE the sleeves. Don't get rid of them, PLEASE! I also have sleeves on mine that look similar and I was nitpicking like you about the armpit fat. I was annoyed and upset and blah blah but seriously, your dress is beautiful. I hate that my arms will be uncovered too but I promise your arms look absolutely FINE. Promise, promise.

I saw the third photo that shoes the bottom and I have to agree with you, it makes you look short. The first thing that popped into my mind even though I read what you said was, SHE SHOULD WEAR HEELS! I thought that instantly since it would elongate that part.

I still think the dress is beautiful....I wonder if you could possible have extra fabric added on to the bottom...maybe a pretty lace? That way, you could wear the shoes you want and you won't look short?

P.s. I do not think you are pouring out of the top.
 

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
5,660
I don't think it fits well in the bust area. You are pouring out of the top. It is difficult to do alterations on the bust unless there is enough fabric in the seams but it's not always possible when there is a lot of detail. I think it's important for the bustline to fit well as your face and chest are what most of the focus in on.

But it comes down to how comfortable you are. It fits very well through the torso, although you still have the length concern. Maybe you ought to meet with a seamstress to see what can be done. You definitely want to love your gown!

I also could imagine a short lace see-through little jacket that covered your back, arms, and bust for the ceremony.
 

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
723
beadchick|1315797039|3015540 said:
I was debating on whether I should say anything or not, but...Are you crazy? You look incredible in that dress. You should listen to your mother.

Having said that, it is obviously incredibly important that you FEEL great on your wedding day. If I were you, I'd take dress to good seamstress and have bra SEWN IN to the dress. You should prob precede this with trip to good lingerie store.

You can't see back fat or underarm fat in the pictures. Are you wearing a veil? This will give you some coverage for whatever it is that you are criticizing yourself about.

And, I'm only saying it b/c I can't help myself. Have you seen Mad Men? You kind of have the Joan Hollaway thing going on. Your fiancé will cry tears of joy when he sees you in that dress. :appl:
I COMPLETELY agree with Beadchick. You're GORGEOUS in that dress. I did a double take and wondered what you were talking about! It's stunning. There is no back fat (and trust me lady, as a B cup I'd be staring in envy at your chest all night, not your non-existant "underarm fat"). You totally have the shapely Christina Hendricks thing going on- I wouldn't be messing with it past some good support garmets (perhaps sewn in as beadchick suggests).

PS. I hated pics of me in my dress too, but sometimes mums just don't take the best pics on the fly ;))

PPS. I thought the slightly shorter underlay on skirts was a design feature. Seriously, I've seen deliberately made that way (well- I assume it was deliberate!).
 

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
4,384
Also, one more thing:

You do NOT look fat and yes, you're crazy for thinking so.

Lastly, I just wanted to add that if you do choose to have some extra fabric added...I wasn't saying a ton...maybe 1 inch- 1.5?

Its so hard to tell because in the 3rd pic, you don't look short...its the 4th pic but that could all be the angle the picture was taken.
 

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
2,260
Thank you everyone for you comments so far. I really appreciate that honesty and getting your objective opinion. While I do feel better about it, I don't think I've made up my mind as to what to do yet. It wasn't an expensive dress, so I don't know if I could justify any expensive alterations if it wasn't going to make me 100% happy with it. The alternative I am considering at the moment is having a very very simple dress made for in an inexpensive fabric and using my high school ball dress to make a pattern (as appart from being to small up top and a little short, it still fits everywhere else and is an amazing shape on me) and then just spend the money on awesome bold accessories like some amazing shoes and a cool statement necklace which I would wear again. What do you guys think?

slg47|1315791736|3015487 said:
yeah...I understand. I wear a 32E and it is sometimes impossible to find clothes. I wonder if they could let it out a little in the top? I don't think it looks vulgar, but maybe if they let it out a little it would look better.
Ok, I get yah. I would want to try it with the bra I would actually wear it with first - I suspect this style would not be able to be let out. I could always loose weight, but I am a freak and they get bigger when I gain weight but never smaller when I loose it. I've just tried on a silk dress I wore to a high school ball which fits except for being too small in the bust now and even if I squeeze them into that I don't get the same yucky pancake boob look. So I'm going to keep this in mind.

beadchick said:
I was debating on whether I should say anything or not, but...Are you crazy? You look incredible in that dress. You should listen to your mother.

Having said that, it is obviously incredibly important that you FEEL great on your wedding day. If I were you, I'd take dress to good seamstress and have bra SEWN IN to the dress. You should prob precede this with trip to good lingerie store.

You can't see back fat or underarm fat in the pictures. Are you wearing a veil? This will give you some coverage for whatever it is that you are criticizing yourself about.

And, I'm only saying it b/c I can't help myself. Have you seen Mad Men? You kind of have the Joan Hollaway thing going on. Your fiancé will cry tears of joy when he sees you in that dress. :appl:
Beadchick- Thank you for your comment. Having a bra sewn in is a good idea, I will talk to my seamstress about that. I'm not wearing a veil but if my hair is down at all it will cover most of the bare skin on my back so that's a little more coverage, just not where I wanted it.
I have not seen Mad Men, so I googled Joan Holloway...are those real? She looks like Jessica Rabbit. lol. And thanks I guess! :lol:

Autumnovember said:
Ok so here is my 100% honest opinion. I read what you wrote before looking at the pictures and this is what stood out most to me:
"The verdict is I have to wear flats or else the underskirt lining thing looks too short as it is about at least an inch shorter than the chiffon. Not very effing impressed about wearing flat shoes. I don't like them for special occasions, I don't feel dressy or attractive in them. Also, I would never wear dressy flats again so I wouldn't bother getting really amazing ones. I love shoes. They make me feel good. I love the nice long slim look they give me."

On your wedding day, you should feel absolutely beautiful. You should love the shoes you're wearing if you really love shoes and you should really love your dress. You said it yourself: shoes make you feel good. So, shoes in this case are very key.

I first saw the back and thought, "wow that is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL dress."

I saw the second photo and thought, "PRETTY!" I don't think it looks too small there. I just get that you have larger breasts so they'll of course be "out" more. That's fine. I didn't notice the armpit fat you speak of either...you're nitpicking like every normal bride :) I absolutely LOVE, LOVE the sleeves. Don't get rid of them, PLEASE! I also have sleeves on mine that look similar and I was nitpicking like you about the armpit fat. I was annoyed and upset and blah blah but seriously, your dress is beautiful. I hate that my arms will be uncovered too but I promise your arms look absolutely FINE. Promise, promise.

I saw the third photo that shoes the bottom and I have to agree with you, it makes you look short. The first thing that popped into my mind even though I read what you said was, SHE SHOULD WEAR HEELS! I thought that instantly since it would elongate that part.

I still think the dress is beautiful....I wonder if you could possible have extra fabric added on to the bottom...maybe a pretty lace? That way, you could wear the shoes you want and you won't look short?

P.s. I do not think you are pouring out of the top.
Your right, I am much more upset than is probably "normal" about not having beautiful shoes. I was willing to go down to a 2 1/2 inch wedge, but a flat just does not do things for me at all. :nono: They are important to me, it just seems silly to ditch a dress because I can't have the shoes (that will hardly get seen) I want.

I would love to add extra fabric to the bottom of the dress, but I'm not sure it can be done in a way which I will be happy with. The liner is deliberately shorter than the tule layer, and I am wondering if just adding a little bit of fabric here would be enough that I can wear some heals with it and it be a reasonably subtle change.

Is it the 3rd or the 4th pic that you think looks short or both? The forth is because mum mum was standing much closer when she took the picture. I still think I look short in the 3rd, which I think is because of where the lace ends being quite low on the dress.

swingirl said:
I don't think it fits well in the bust area. You are pouring out of the top. It is difficult to do alterations on the bust unless there is enough fabric in the seams but it's not always possible when there is a lot of detail. I think it's important for the bustline to fit well as your face and chest are what most of the focus in on.

But it comes down to how comfortable you are. It fits very well through the torso, although you still have the length concern. Maybe you ought to meet with a seamstress to see what can be done. You definitely want to love your gown!

I also could imagine a short lace see-through little jacket that covered your back, arms, and bust for the ceremony.
I appreciate your honesty Swingirl. I agree with your comments but if it is a matter of having to alter the bust, the length and get a beautiful lace bolero or something to make me happy with it, it's just not worth it and I'd rather sell it and start over.

Echidna said:
I COMPLETELY agree with Beadchick. You're GORGEOUS in that dress. I did a double take and wondered what you were talking about! It's stunning. There is no back fat (and trust me lady, as a B cup I'd be staring in envy at your chest all night, not your non-existant "underarm fat"). You totally have the shapely Christina Hendricks thing going on- I wouldn't be messing with it past some good support garmets (perhaps sewn in as beadchick suggests).

PS. I hated pics of me in my dress too, but sometimes mums just don't take the best pics on the fly ;))

PPS. I thought the slightly shorter underlay on skirts was a design feature. Seriously, I've seen deliberately made that way (well- I assume it was deliberate!).
Thanks Echidna. Yep, I think the short underlay is a design feature so you get a bit of a flash of shoe through the tule. Which would be great if it were longer, but as it is it's just anoying. And I miss being a B cup, the grass is always greener on the other side ;))
 

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
4,384
4th. I mixed up my post. I don't think it makes you look short in the 3rd. I think it does only in the 4th. Otherwise, I really love the dress...looks so good on you.
 

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
5,660
My opinion is, sell it and get something that you love that fits perfectly. Since you have a full bust you'll have to make that a priority as far as fit goes. You have a gorgeous figure but fit is king when it comes to a bridal gown. I also agree with you about shoes. I feel more "formal" in heels. There is just something sexy about cute wedding shoes. You need to feel fantastic on your wedding day.
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232
It's a lovely dress and the sleeves are great! I wouldn't worry about the "armpit fat" issue - it's more of just skin than actual fat, and I don't think it looks prominent at all. I have 2 concerns when I look at your pics. First, I don't think it fits well in the bust. I wonder if a halter neckline might contain your "girls" a little better? OR perhaps see if the bodice could be altered into a corset back, just to give them a little extra wiggle room. The bust just seems too tight as it is. My other concern is the height; in the last pic, it does appear to shorten you. I'm not sure how to fix that except to wear heels (and then you have the chiffon/underskirt issue, but could that be fixed by shortening the chiffon layer?).
 

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
12,170
I think it's a beautiful dress but I agree with others about the top not fitting correctly. I'd definitely go to a seamstress and see what they can do-I had a bra built into my wedding dress as I have been blessed in that area too and it was perfect on the day. If she can't do anything, I would probably look around at other dresses as you really should love your dress and you don't seem to be 100% about it. You are crazy though if you think there's armpit fat-there's nothing of the sort there!
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
jstarfireb|1315817871|3015651 said:
It's a lovely dress and the sleeves are great! I wouldn't worry about the "armpit fat" issue - it's more of just skin than actual fat, and I don't think it looks prominent at all. I have 2 concerns when I look at your pics. First, I don't think it fits well in the bust. I wonder if a halter neckline might contain your "girls" a little better? OR perhaps see if the bodice could be altered into a corset back, just to give them a little extra wiggle room. The bust just seems too tight as it is. My other concern is the height; in the last pic, it does appear to shorten you. I'm not sure how to fix that except to wear heels (and then you have the chiffon/underskirt issue, but could that be fixed by shortening the chiffon layer?).
oh yes, a corset back could work! I have a corset back...I think it's the only reason my dress didn't need MAJOR alterations.

I think the last pic 'shortens' you because it is taken from an odd angle...I think a pic from that angle would shorten anyone.

if you wanted it to be longer, maybe add a layer onto the skirt so you could wear heels? although that would be a lot of changes...and the most important thing is that you love the dress and you feel stunning in it :)
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
First off- my 34A-s are screaming in envy.

It's your wedding day and you should love love love your dress and the way you look.

I think a corset added in the back is a great way to get the top to fit the way you want it to. As for length- not sure if they can add or not- and I totally feel your pain- hubby is only 2 inches taller so I went with a one inch heel.

As for back fat- what are you smoking??? I love the sleeves and there is no back fat- but if you are worried a corset can allow you to tighten and/or untighten in certain areas.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,567
Oh, it's a stunning dress and I'm jealous of your figure, B cup over here. :nono: I definitely agree that you should love your dress, but one thing that may help is if you could find a pair of shoes you love to go with it. What about kitten heels? A bit of a heel but you'll be able to stand all day more comfortably than with 3" heels. Something like this:

http://www.zappos.com/ak-anne-klein-pipa-blush-nude-patent

When I saw the top, I also thought a shrug or wrap could help you feel better about your arms. You could get something designed to match the beading of the dress, or go with something more sleek to tone down the sparkly. Or a fun color, like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70707150/pale-turquoise-short-sleeve-silk-wedding
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232
Amys Bling|1315858460|3015958 said:
First off- my 34A-s are screaming in envy.
Woohoooooo!!! I'm not the only person alive beyond teenage years with 34As!!!! :tongue:
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
My goodness. You do NOT look vulgar. AT ALL. I think you look very elegant and feminine and romantic. And what's wrong with that for a bride?

A wedding dress is a very personal thing. We can't advise you on how to feel. If you don't feel lovely and beautiful... then maybe you need a different dress. But it's not because this one isn't gorgeous on you. It's not what's on your body that's the problem honey... it's what's in your head. The dress is beautiful. But it might not be mindclean for you.

OR you could just have some bridal nerves and all you need is a good kick in the pants.
 

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
2,260
swingirl|1315816921|3015649 said:
My opinion is, sell it and get something that you love that fits perfectly. Since you have a full bust you'll have to make that a priority as far as fit goes. You have a gorgeous figure but fit is king when it comes to a bridal gown. I also agree with you about shoes. I feel more "formal" in heels. There is just something sexy about cute wedding shoes. You need to feel fantastic on your wedding day.
Thanks Swingirl - I am seriously considering selling it but I'm just not sure yet.

jstarfireb said:
It's a lovely dress and the sleeves are great! I wouldn't worry about the "armpit fat" issue - it's more of just skin than actual fat, and I don't think it looks prominent at all. I have 2 concerns when I look at your pics. First, I don't think it fits well in the bust. I wonder if a halter neckline might contain your "girls" a little better? OR perhaps see if the bodice could be altered into a corset back, just to give them a little extra wiggle room. The bust just seems too tight as it is. My other concern is the height; in the last pic, it does appear to shorten you. I'm not sure how to fix that except to wear heels (and then you have the chiffon/underskirt issue, but could that be fixed by shortening the chiffon layer?).
Jstarfireb - Halter necks dont work on me because I also have broad shoulders. I tend to wear very open necklines, not too V shaped.
Corset back it out. I just don't like the way they look and I would rather ditch the dress than change the back of it. The last lpic is just taken at close range at a high angle, I'm looking more at picture 3.

bee* said:
I think it's a beautiful dress but I agree with others about the top not fitting correctly. I'd definitely go to a seamstress and see what they can do-I had a bra built into my wedding dress as I have been blessed in that area too and it was perfect on the day. If she can't do anything, I would probably look around at other dresses as you really should love your dress and you don't seem to be 100% about it. You are crazy though if you think there's armpit fat-there's nothing of the sort there!
Thanks Bee - It's really good to know you've had luck with having a bra sewn into your dress, Big boobs can be a real PITA with nice evening wear.

Amys Bling said:
First off- my 34A-s are screaming in envy.

It's your wedding day and you should love love love your dress and the way you look.

I think a corset added in the back is a great way to get the top to fit the way you want it to. As for length- not sure if they can add or not- and I totally feel your pain- hubby is only 2 inches taller so I went with a one inch heel.

As for back fat- what are you smoking??? I love the sleeves and there is no back fat- but if you are worried a corset can allow you to tighten and/or untighten in certain areas.
I'm nixing the corset top- not going to happen. I'm not sure how much it would cost to add a corset back and the extra length, but the dress only cost $520 and I guess I don't love it enough to pour any more money into it. As for the hubby height, I'm trying to figgure out how much i care if I look taller then him in photos. He doesn't care at all. And I do REALLY like high heels...

rubybeth said:
Oh, it's a stunning dress and I'm jealous of your figure, B cup over here. :nono: I definitely agree that you should love your dress, but one thing that may help is if you could find a pair of shoes you love to go with it. What about kitten heels? A bit of a heel but you'll be able to stand all day more comfortably than with 3" heels. Something like this:

http://www.zappos.com/ak-anne-klein-pipa-blush-nude-patent

When I saw the top, I also thought a shrug or wrap could help you feel better about your arms. You could get something designed to match the beading of the dress, or go with something more sleek to tone down the sparkly. Or a fun color, like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70707150/pale-turquoise-short-sleeve-silk-wedding
I tried on every height heal with this dress, even 1 inch was too high. I was really ok with taking myself into just 2 1/2 inch heals but 1/2 and inch or less is crossing the line :nono:

Gypsy said:
My goodness. You do NOT look vulgar. AT ALL. I think you look very elegant and feminine and romantic. And what's wrong with that for a bride?

A wedding dress is a very personal thing. We can't advise you on how to feel. If you don't feel lovely and beautiful... then maybe you need a different dress. But it's not because this one isn't gorgeous on you. It's not what's on your body that's the problem honey... it's what's in your head. The dress is beautiful. But it might not be mindclean for you.

OR you could just have some bridal nerves and all you need is a good kick in the pants.
You put your finger on it Gypsy, I want to know if it is just typical self criticism or weather I really would be happier starting again with something a bit more simple.
 

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
2,260
I guess the choice is this dress, or I would have something super duper simple made like the picture below by having the dressmaker who make my high school ball dress I really loved take it appart to make a pattern for the new dress. This is a shape I find most flattering on me and I guess i'd feel the best in. Depending on the fabric I wouldn't expect it to be too expensive.

Then I'd accessorize the crap out of it with a rad necklace like below with chiffon cap sleeves and AMAZING shoes, or an beautiful lace jacket like below with amazing earrings and shoes.

So what would you do? Make a new dress or keep the first dress?

super simple wedding dress.jpg

lace_wedding_jacket.jpg

blue costume necklace .jpg
 

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
6,232
Well, after giving this thread another read, it sounds like starting from scratch is what you really want to do deep down, and it's cool that you have the option to do that. I'd give it a shot. I'm sure you could find a buyer for the dress you have.

A bit off-topic, but I have to disagree with halter tops being not so good for broad shoulders. I think halters are incredibly flattering on them. I have broad shoulders and look better in a halter top than almost any other neckline (so I had my strapless wedding dress altered into a halter top). They draw the eyes inward. But anyway, you're not really looking at a halter top for either option, so I digress...
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
I don't think you have broad shoulders at all! I would get a new dress since it seems that is what you really want to do. Hopefully you can sell this one on POWD or something similar. Plus if you get one custom made it will fit right in the top/be the right length/etc.
 

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
3,417
Speaking as a 32E girl myself, the top of that dress is too small for you. Period. It's the classic look I get in dress one size too small in the bust area.

Your boobs are spilling out of the top and sides, causing the 'armpit fat' effect.

Getting another bra won't change it, the dress needs to be altered. Dress is gorgeous and really suits your colouring but you gotta do something to make it fit your va va voom cleavage better. Then, you'll be a total knockout!

Failing that, another dress....

Big boobed girls, unite! :cheeky:
 

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,081
I've got a jacket verrrrrry similar to the one you posted. In fact, it could be the same one! :razz:

I think your first dress is lovely, but you don't seem just oozing with love for it. I am obsessed with my dress. I could wear it every single day... If you don't have that feeling then keep looking!
 

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,308
Personally, I love the dress on you, and see where the concern is. If you stick with the dress, is it possible to have maybe a lace shurg, maybe a bite more tight fitting made to cover your arms. Something that would ADD to the dress, and not take away from it. Also, would a small heel like someone else said work? I know i could never wear heels on my wedding day, and be comfy, ill be rocking heels for the ceremony and flats for dinner and dancing.

Also, I LOVE the color on you, its bring out something in your skin tone. Its almost like it makes your radiant.

BUT if your not completely and 100% comfortable in the dress, than look around a bit, try something else on, and see if you can find something you will LOVE.
 

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
12,111
rosetta|1315950931|3016804 said:
Speaking as a 32E girl myself, the top of that dress is too small for you. Period. It's the classic look I get in dress one size too small in the bust area.

Your boobs are spilling out of the top and sides, causing the 'armpit fat' effect.

Getting another bra won't change it, the dress needs to be altered. Dress is gorgeous and really suits your colouring but you gotta do something to make it fit your va va voom cleavage better. Then, you'll be a total knockout!

Failing that, another dress....

Big boobed girls, unite! :cheeky:
Ditto this, minus the big boobed part! :cheeky: It's definitely too tight on your bust. And you definitely do not look fat-it just isn't the right size for you. I would either get it let out, add a corset back, or get a new dress. Sounds like that's what you're leaning towards anyway.
 

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
1,199
thing2of2|1316031734|3017637 said:
rosetta|1315950931|3016804 said:
Speaking as a 32E girl myself, the top of that dress is too small for you. Period. It's the classic look I get in dress one size too small in the bust area.

Your boobs are spilling out of the top and sides, causing the 'armpit fat' effect.

Getting another bra won't change it, the dress needs to be altered. Dress is gorgeous and really suits your colouring but you gotta do something to make it fit your va va voom cleavage better. Then, you'll be a total knockout!

Failing that, another dress....

Big boobed girls, unite! :cheeky:
Ditto this, minus the big boobed part! :cheeky: It's definitely too tight on your bust. And you definitely do not look fat-it just isn't the right size for you. I would either get it let out, add a corset back, or get a new dress. Sounds like that's what you're leaning towards anyway.
As a 34E who had her own "armpit fat" experiences trying on dresses yesterday, a very big ditto to this. Your body is gorgeous, there is nothing wrong with it. It's just that that dress, as it is, doesn't fit. If you can get a different dress and prefer it (which it sounds like you do), I see nothing wrong with that. But a good seamstress should also be able to help you get a better fit up top with this dress, too.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top