shape
carat
color
clarity

My dog has this thing by his eye, can anyone help?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what this is? Can anyone help? I know I will probably have to bring him to a vet I'm just trying to gauge how serious this is.

TIA!

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_7932.JPG

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a vet. Under these circumstances of not making unecessary visits, first I would soak with a warm damp compress a few times a day. Hold it on the area for 15-20 minutes, if you’re able to. Could be a blocked tear duct or a sty. Good luck.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww! Poor baby, it's probably bothering him.
I think @Slick1 gave you good advice.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Slick1 and @stracci2000, I will try that. Do you think I should put antibacterial ointment on it or something?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Slick1 and @stracci2000, I will try that. Do you think I should put antibacterial ointment on it or something?

You’re welcome! I would not use any cream just yet, as it’s so close to his eye. Soaking it should help. Please keep me posted!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dog had something very similar and needed an antibiotic specifically for the eyes. I would call the vet and ask if you can send a picture for advice. They may be willing given our current situation. Hope all goes well. Please keep us updated. ❤

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would do the same re what @Slick1 just said, but it will be hard to keep him calm while you try to apply the warm compress.

I would be afraid of the infection hitting his eyeball--I wouldn't wait too long for a vet visit.

Try & see if you can find a vet who will do telemedicine. Ours started offering telemedicine a few weeks ago via medici. I am totally not a vet, just a long time dog owner. Best of luck & hope he gets better soon!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try to see a vet that will accept pics/do telemedicine. Many in my area are starting this practice for non-emergencies.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Diamond Girl 21
@sarahb
@lovedogs

Thank you for the suggestions!

Here is a quick update, I did clean it up and did a warm compress and read that you can use triple antibiotic ointment on a dog so I very carefully put some one. One problem, he was pawing at his eye and of course I just got rid of all the E-collars we had so what to do?

Paper plate! I just cut a hole so the dog can fit his head through but he can't scratch that spot. I'm thinking he has probably been messing with it making it worse so we will see what it looks like tomorrow.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Diamond Girl 21
@sarahb
@lovedogs

Thank you for the suggestions!

Here is a quick update, I did clean it up and did a warm compress and read that you can use triple antibiotic ointment on a dog so I very carefully put some one. One problem, he was pawing at his eye and of course I just got rid of all the E-collars we had so what to do?

Paper plate! I just cut a hole so the dog can fit his head through but he can't scratch that spot. I'm thinking he has probably been messing with it making it worse so we will see what it looks like tomorrow.

very innovative! Yes, dogs definitely make all eye stuff worse by pawing at it. Silly creatures. Good plan to see how it looks tomorrow and then go from there. Fingers crossed it looks better tomorrow!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very innovative! Yes, dogs definitely make all eye stuff worse by pawing at it. Silly creatures. Good plan to see how it looks tomorrow and then go from there. Fingers crossed it looks better tomorrow!

Desperate times.....
Thanks for the good wishes I will come back and let you all know how he is doing.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about sending your vet a photo? See what they say - if you need to come in or can manage at home. One of our dogs just had surgery and her follow ups involve the tech coming out to you in your car and getting the dog from you. So your dog could get into the vet but you might not.8)

oops sorry didn’t see lovedogs already posted this suggestion!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m so hoping he looks better tomorrow @StephanieLynn. I googled my vets website to lookup what they used for telemedicine, & read they also will do drive up appts, where you drive up & they’ll come out & take your fur baby back inside for the exam. Hopefully you can find this in your area if he looks the same tomorrow am. Crossing my fingers he’s better in the morning.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@caf, that's part of my worry (although it's understandable and I don't fault them) because my dog is high anxiety, if they take him in and I have to stay in the car he will be a wreck! Obviously if I have to do it then so be it. I will call them tomorrow anyways and see what the options are. I hope your dog is feeling better and has a speedy recovery!

@sarahb, I bet that is becoming the norm in a lot of places now, my vet is a small rural practice but hopefully they are with the times lol! In any case we are going to do another warm compress tonight and see in the morning.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn just seeing this thread. How is your dog doing? If it isn't better please call your vet and maybe do a video chat...better to get expert eyes on it unless it is improving.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone,

Quick update, it does look less red, I think he was scratching at it and making t worse, we are still doing warm compresss and ointment. Unfortunately our vet will not do tele-medicine, I would have to drop him off. He is eating and his normal self otherwise so we are going to treat it another day and see if there is continued improvement tomorrow.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn I am glad it seems a bit better. I was not suggesting you not see a vet, rather offering at-home remedies which I’ve used. My parents bred dogs and owned a kennel growing up, so while not an expert, certainly not a novice with pets.
Keep up the warm compresses as often as you can today. Maybe when he’s sleeping you can’t cuddle in and gently, but firmly, hold the warm, wet compress on his eye. Good luck!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn I am glad it seems a bit better. I was not suggesting you not see a vet, rather offering at-home remedies which I’ve used. My parents bred dogs and owned a kennel growing up, so while not an expert, certainly not a novice with pets.
Keep up the warm compresses as often as you can today. Maybe when he’s sleeping you can’t cuddle in and gently, but firmly, hold the warm, wet compress on his eye. Good luck!

No, I understood what you were saying. I think if he wasn't eating and wasn't acting himself I would bring him right in. It's very frustrating though that our vet is not offering any alternative apart from "curbside pickup". Very frustrating times for sure.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like either a bug bite or a stye (can dogs get styes?) but could also be allergic reaction to something. Lucky gets one here and there usually during allergy season and I just use the ointment I got from the vet on it. takes a couple of days before the redness goes down. In general if I can get her to leave it alone it dosen't end up worse.

If exceptionally itchy you can safely give dogs benedryl tablets (we do 4, she can take up to 7)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like either a bug bite or a stye (can dogs get styes?) but could also be allergic reaction to something. Lucky gets one here and there usually during allergy season and I just use the ointment I got from the vet on it. takes a couple of days before the redness goes down. In general if I can get her to leave it alone it dosen't end up worse.

If exceptionally itchy you can safely give dogs benedryl tablets (we do 4, she can take up to 7)

This is good to know thank you so much. I really think that between him pawing at his face and his sister licking his face, it aggravated the hell out of it. I think it's reassuring that it already looks better with rather minimal effort.

On another note, we also had a Lucky! He was our first dog.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If he's eating, drinking & doing his business, then that's terrific news.:appl: Plus, it's a positive sign it's looking better today. You may have it licked, no pun intended! :)) These fur babies can be so worrisome, I just wish they could talk sometimes!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he's eating, drinking & doing his business, then that's terrific news.:appl: Plus, it's a positive sign it's looking better today. You may have it licked, no pun intended! :)) These fur babies can be so worrisome, I just wish they could talk sometimes!

I agree that would make things so much easier. Although right now he would probably be saying that he didn't appreciate the plate around his head because even the cats made fun of him!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my, I can just see it--have you visited pluto.living on IG? You must go check it out, it is a hoot! Go see the video's from the beginning, so fun.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, I can just see it--have you visited pluto.living on IG? You must go check it out, it is a hoot! Go see the video's from the beginning, so fun.

I will definitely check it out! Also I have to tell you that our dogs look a lot alike, let me see if I can find a favorite picture since he looks a little scruffy at the moment.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sarahb, I just check the out on IG, awww so cute my favorite "my name is Pluto because I'm small and the world revolves around me". Too cute!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Aww, those faces, they are so sweet--thank you for posting! We laughed over some of those Pluto video's, the voice-overs are so funny! My favorite one was about the snacks.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results