shape
carat
color
clarity

My dilemma... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ejh

Rough_Rock
Ok, here it goes...I am having a real tough time figuring out what to do here.

Here are the stones that I am looking at.

Stone 1: From a very reputable B & M
G, VS1, 0.83 ct. GIA Excellent cut grade, GIA certificate
Table = 57%
Depth = 61.6%
Crown = 34.8
Pavilion = 41.5
Cutlet = none
Girdle = thin - medium
Polish = Excellent
Symmetry = Very good
Price = $3600

Stone 2: From a reputable online vendor
G, VS2, 0.83 ct. AGS 0 cut grade, AGS certificate
Table = 54.2%
Depth = 62.3%
Crown = 34.3
Pavilion = 40.8
Cutlet = none
Girdle = TH-
Polish = Ideal
Symmetry = Ideal
Light Performance = Ideal (0)
Price = $3500

Ok, so it seems to me that Stone #2 is the winner. Stone #1 has an HCA score above 2. Problem is, I do not like any of the settings that are on the website of the online vendor. The B & M will not set the stone if purchased elsewhere, and I am not sure who makes the setting I like, so I am not sure that I will be able to find it.

Also, I would like to have the stone by December 23rd. I also thought of putting it in a temp. setting for presentation and then we can pick a setting together online. If she doesn''t like any of the ones online, we can always do custom work, but I am a little skeptical of this without seeing the stone and going through an online vendor. The B & M quoted a setting price of about $800, so would custom work to recreate this be near this value?

Ideally, I would like to have the stone in the setting for presentation, but that might not be possible for the time limit. Would this seem like a cop-out or unthoughtful to the girl?

Advice anyone? Should I suck it up and go through the B & M (even though I am not totally sold on the stone) or go online?

Sorry for the long post...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I think the idea of a temp setting is great. that lets her have some say on the real setting. you can get one in WG for probably 100 bucks or so and well worth it to me. If you don''t want to go that route is there a way you can you purchase the setting you want and send it to the vendor where you are purchasing the stone to set? I actually prefer to have the person who you buy the stone from be the one to set in, there is a chance they will take responsibility for it while it''s being set.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2006 4:16:45 PM
Author: mrssalvo

well, I think the idea of a temp setting is great. that lets her have some say on the real setting. you can get one in WG for probably 100 bucks or so and well worth it to me. If you don''t want to go that route is there a way you can you purchase the setting you want and send it to the vendor where you are purchasing the stone to set? I actually prefer to have the person who you buy the stone from be the one to set in, there is a chance they will take responsibility for it while it''s being set.
I''m not impressed with the B&M stone. I don''t think you should get an okay stone just because they have the setting you want. Put the money and quality into the stone and then worry about the setting. There are other B&M''s that will set your stone, I purchased a stone that a local jeweler set. Also, custom would definitely be an option. As mrssalvo mentioned, you could get a temp setting and then either customize a setting or find a local setting that you would want. Don''t get discouraged that one B&M won''t set your stone.

By the way, what type of setting was it that the B&M had that you liiked? Maybe we can find you something similar from another place that will set your stone or suggest whether it would be a easy custom. By the way, I''m pretty confident in the abilities of WF, jamesallen, and goodoldgold to customize just about anything.

hartfordmd

Rough_Rock
I would definitely prefer the second stone...

ejh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts about this. I am pretty sold on stone #1 and you both make a good point about the temp setting and custom work. I have a photocopy of one side of the setting, but I need to find a scanner so that I can upload it onto this forum. I am pretty sure that it will be an easy custom job, though. It is not too complicated. It has a "secret" diamond, as well as some small bead set sidestones that go down about half the band. Then, there is engraving on the outside of the band where the sidestones stop as well as on both the sides of the band. The band is about "medium" thickness. I think I am going to the B & M tomorrow to find out who makes it or I may try and take a digital photo (if they will let me - I don''t want to make it too obvious that they won''t be getting my business:))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
check pearlman and solomon brothers for settings. Here is Solomon brothers for settings.
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/
See my setting https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/send-diamond-out-to-be-set-your-thoughts-please.54276/
they give you 15 days to change your mind and they will set the diamond.
emotion-19.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and I like the AGS stone better. I second the recommendation to check out Pearlmans. he''ll set your stone into any of his settings or you can even purchase a stone from him (I did) even though they aren''t listed on his site. He carries all the big designers.

link to Pearlmans

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the AGS stone better. Definitely shop around at other B&Ms to see if they''re willing to set the stone if you''re uncomfortable with going online; most are happy to set stones, because it''s still money in their pockets.

4themrs

Rough_Rock
I like the 2nd stone, any thoughts of which one you are going to go with?

ejh

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the help!

I am 99.9% sure that I am going to buy stone 2, but I want to see some magnified pics, idealscope, any reports, etc. The diamond was a "call for availability" on a website, so I just need to get ahold of the guy I was working with.

I am warming up to the idea of custom work or finding a setting elsewhere and just paying the setting fee. It is worth it to me to get the stone that I absolutely want.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results