shape
carat
color
clarity

My Diamond Studs! Platinum Post Turned Orange!

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I introduced my mom to a local jeweler I use and while in there I asked him to clean my studs. To my horror, he pulled out some tool to tighten something (everything was fine) and broke the screw post off of of the back of one of my five prong platinum martinis. After some arguing, he agreed to replace the post. When I picked it up and took the repaired earring home I realized that he had used a different size post and back. I was quite annoyed and went back to speak with him, but he said I could live with having to match up different backs. I don't think I should have to match up different backs on over 3ct diamond platinum studs! I went to another local jeweler who quoted me $200 to replace a single post so I decided to live with things for a little before revisiting the issue. Fast forward, the solder joint on the new post has turned bright orange. I feel like my ears are more irritated. It could be the new post size or perhaps he used another metal? I used platinum because I am very metal sensitive. I'm so frustrated.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice on how to rectify this?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. Yeah. The idiot who snapped off the post is the one who needs to repair it. If he won't get it in writing. Then, you take it to get it repaired, and sue him for the repair costs.

Get a good lawyer friend to write him a threatening letter, including a threat to report him to the Jeweler's version of the BBB. And if doesn't repair it, report him.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1451714130|3969534 said:
Um. Yeah. The idiot who snapped off the post is the one who needs to repair it. If he won't get it in writing. Then, you take it to get it repaired, and sue him for the repair costs.

Get a good lawyer friend to write him a threatening letter, including a threat to report him to the Jeweler's version of the BBB. And if doesn't repair it, report him.

I'm afraid to have him touch my earrings again. Clearly, he doesn't care about my satisfaction and his quality of work is lacking. He says that since the cleaning was a favor to me he owes me nothing. I'm really horrified. I don't have a ton of money to sink into my earrings right now. These are my daily wear earrings and I need them to be comfortable and secure. Do I need to find someone is more capable of working with platinum and then have the new post taken off and another put on? That seems like such work and cost! What will that do to the joint?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless he had you sign a release before he cleaned your rings, he is liable.

Find someone to send him a letter.

Take your earrings and get them fixed by a good bench. And bill him, and sue him in small claims court.

Also report him to the jewelers association.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
considering that you said he was a "local jeweler that you use" I find it amazing that he is being so unhelpful. I would follow Gypsy's advice and go somewhere reputable for the repair and if he won't pay for it, report him. Talk about terrible customer service to someone who he has done business with in the past. I can't believe he expected you to accept a different metal, different size post and different backs on your earrings. He should have told you he couldn't fix them properly and offered to have someone else do it who could.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have someone verify that the diamonds in the earrings are the originals, not something less that he switched them for. It happened to my aunt, only the jeweler gave her czs instead of diamonds.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
AdaBeta27|1451761522|3969714 said:
Have someone verify that the diamonds in the earrings are the originals, not something less that he switched them for. It happened to my aunt, only the jeweler gave her czs instead of diamonds.

Oh no! I didn't even think of this. Now I am really worried. I have a diamond tester somewhere. This jeweler has set quite a few large stones and now I'm worried about all ofor them. My closest friend recommended him. Her family has used him for over a dozen years and he made her sister's engagement ring. I have sent business his way so I don't understand why he would ruin so many relationships over an earring post.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Kimmy, great advice. He lost your future business, your mothers, and all of your friends you will share this story with (and you will.....oh, you will). All he had to do was fix what he broke...instead he made a poor choice. & doing you a favor by cleaning them? Wow, nerve. Sorry to read your story. Shame on him. He should know better as a business man.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Kimmy|1451774226|3969779 said:
AdaBeta27|1451761522|3969714 said:

Oh no! I didn't even think of this. Now I am really worried. I have a diamond tester somewhere.

Ugh. I'm worried on your behalf. Keep us updated.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have wanted that stud setting replaced. I wouldn't be happy with him replacing the post. I am betting he didn't use platinum to solder it back on. Where did you get your settings for the studs? I don't think I'd risk that repair being good. I'd try to get him to make it right, but I'd also probably have the original vendor replace that one setting for me. I can't believe he actually argued with you about the repair when he was the one who broke it...unless the post was loose and was headed towards breaking anyway.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1451780261|3969818 said:
I would have wanted that stud setting replaced. I wouldn't be happy with him replacing the post. I am betting he didn't use platinum to solder it back on. Where did you get your settings for the studs? I don't think I'd risk that repair being good. I'd try to get him to make it right, but I'd also probably have the original vendor replace that one setting for me. I can't believe he actually argued with you about the repair when he was the one who broke it...unless the post was loose and was headed towards breaking anyway.

I was upset in general about having a repaired post instead of the original solid piece. He wanted to charge me $40 for the new post and then he said that he would give me his cost of $24. Eventually, he did the post repair for free and when I complained about the different sizes he said I was lucky he was so nice and didn't just smooth the post short or solder the broken part back on. Ridiculous! I was worried that the joint would be weaker.

I worked with one out of state jeweler to purchase my stones and I got my settings from my favorite reputable local jeweler when I lived out of state. I have been about 5 or 6 years of daily wear with no problems. Since moving this post-breaking jeweler is the best I have found nearby.

I argued with him quite heatedly several times regarding this matter. I have been dealing with medical issues and decided to try to cool off in hopes that I was over-reacting, but now that this has turned orange I am just livid. He made the repair a couple of months ago. I have found myself not wearing my earrings as much due to irritation. I hope that he did not swap the stones and I haven't waited too long. Should I see him again or just send him notice? I assume I should already have a quote for the replacement cost. I just want the setting replaced now. I am going to call or email my old jeweler and ask around a bit more locally.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimmy, last February, you inadvertently bent both posts of the earrings badly enough that you were understandably concerned about metal fatigue. So maybe the jeweler wasn't a hamfisted stooge, but rather trying to straighten them out when the one naturally broke off.

Of course, that doesn't excuse the botched soldering job. But botched soldering of the post doesn't entitle you to a replacement of the stud mounting as well (the original wasn't a "solid piece" & replacing earring posts is a routine matter for seasoned jewelry repairers). So before making a final decision as to what to do next, I'd
* get one or more quotes from other benches for preferably laser welding (not soldering), so as to eliminate any risk of scorching the diamond if left in its mounting) a new platinum screwback post of the original size + the cost of a fresh back, and
* ask your favorite jeweler, who provided the original settings, how much it would cost to have one or both diamonds reset into new mountings with screwback posts (assuming that's still your preference), plus new backs.
Gold is currently priced at about $1100/oz, but platinum is presently selling for less than $900/oz, which I think is about 1/2 its price when you got the earrings in 2011. Although it's unrealistic to expect to hear a quote that's half of what you paid five years ago, you might be pleasantly surprised at the cost for a fresh earring package (and in comparison with the cost of replacing the screwback post, with back), especially if the original came from, e.g., Stuller; the price they charge those in the trade for mountings is more "market sensitive" than what we consumers see for retail jewelry. And you might decide it's worth paying additional money out of your own pocket for a entirely new earring or pair.

Hope your medical issues are now behind you & that you are soon able to again enjoy wearing your diamonds!

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Molly,

Thank you for your excellent and informative reply. I did bend my posts a bit in February. I took them to this same jeweler who made them perfectly straight again and told me not to worry. He had worked with my earrings before I was especially shocked that without asking me he took tools to the posts to "tighten" the backs. He did the same thing to my mother's earrings in brand new settings and slightly bent her much thicker and newer posts.

I was initially upset about having a replacement post, but I know that is something done frequently. I think the jeweler handled the whole situation very poorly. It is very important to me that my earrings have the same size posts and backs. I don't like to fumble around and match things up. The jeweler was so dismissive and rude.

Now that there is a big orange glob at the joint I don't know if the setting can be saved. I can only imagine the mess that it might turn into! I will talk to a few more jewelers and get thoughts on of this can be properly fixed and the cost of a replacement setting.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
* I just realized I described my earrings as five prong. I must have been very sleepy. My studs are eight prongs and my mother's are five. Oooops!

I really appreciate everyone's advice. This situation has been stressful. The jeweler's wife has been sweet. I tried to live with the different sized backs for a while, but my ears said "no!" I really hope there can be some resolution.

I don't get the feeling this jeweler is going to work with me at all. The fact that he didn't even offer to make both posts the same size so that I wouldn't be upset tells you a lot about his attitude. I brought my mother in that day for some work and to discuss several pieces she wanted to commission. After his display we decided she should go elsewhere. I think this is going to be out of my pocket or I'm going to have to escalate. Very unfortunate.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say it may be tough to find a conveniently located bench that offers laser welding; the set-up is expensive (think $15,000 -$25,000), which means it's a hefty investment for a bench, although it enables them to create a marketable niche for themselves & makes their own professional life easier, more efficient. But there's always the possibility of sending your earring off for laser welding after a phone consult.

Are you OK with a non-laser welding bench removing the stone before soldering a new post? I wouldn't want a bench to be trying to do the replacement with the stone intact because I'd fear the diamond could be "cooked" by the appreciably higher heat required for platinum solders (which is why I'm guessing that your local guy did not use a platinum solder). But you may be more uneasy about the stone being removed and reset (and maybe there are now platinum solders available that can be successfully used at lower temps, and maybe even laser welding poses a risk in this scenario I'm not aware of?)

Hope you'll keep us posted on what you learn and price quotes you are given; that would be useful info for the PS community. GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. Think he actually did you a favor by not replacing the post on the second earring so you'd end up with posts & backs of the same size; odds are you'd then have two botched earrings instead of just one.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't know that I am OK with having my stones pulled out of the current setting and then put back in. I also don't know that the current metal on the back can be removed and a new post put on without creating a mess. I don't want to end up with a bunch of weaker bent prongs and a messy blob of a joint in the back. I certainly don't want to scorch my diamond.

The soldered joint presses into my ear since the earrings are martinis. The jeweler knew of my metal sensitivity. I loved the delicate lines of my setting and felt my diamonds were secure in the multi-prongs. I will investigate to see if I can find a local laser welder and if this can be saved. Otherwise, I think I must use my old jeweler to get a new setting. Unfortunately, I now live out-of-state and don't like shipping my stones so I will have to see if the jeweler could perhaps just send me a setting or I will see what I can find locally? I just haven't had much luck here.

I will keep everyone posted!

You're right.... thank goodness he didn't offer to match the other post!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would find a new jeweler and get a completely new setting for that earring. I wouldn't trust this jeweler for anything. I would just suck up the cost and call it the price I pay not to deal with the stress of dealing with him. I'm so sorry. This is such a distressing situation.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1451856914|3970083 said:
I would find a new jeweler and get a completely new setting for that earring. I wouldn't trust this jeweler for anything. I would just suck up the cost and call it the price I pay not to deal with the stress of dealing with him. I'm so sorry. This is such a distressing situation.

+1. New setting, new jeweler. Not worth the stress.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results