shape
carat
color
clarity

My diamond ring story so far, and questions on upgrading - please help! :)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all! =)2

My name is Lydia, and I'm from England. I apologise in advance - I really struggle with being concise. I have essentially vomited all my feelings and thoughts into this post so it's rather long. It was therapeutic for me however!!!

A number of years ago, I inherited some money, and with it I bought a diamond ring. I have always always loved loved loved diamonds. With my own money, there always seemed something better to spend it on, but I could sort of pretend that I never had the inherited money, and it was nice to use such a gift to do something for a joyful reason. I did a lot of reading, and tried to make a really sensible purchase, but I have to admit that I made quite a few embarrassing mistakes along the way. I did learn from them, but unfortunately also paid for them.

Originally I bought a diamond called a 'Wondercut'. From memory I think it was an F, VVS1, 1.6 carat diamond (16 is my favourite number, so 1.6 was important to me). It was a designer diamond of some sort, and boy was this was a mistake. It was because I wanted a square diamond, but I did not like princess cuts, cushions etc. I had discovered a few Wondercuts that were smaller, and they were squared but looked very much like a round brilliant with the way they behaved with light. I thought they were stunning. Excited, I bought a larger one, thinking it would be perfect for me, but not realising how doing the same cut in different proportions would really change the way the diamond behaved with light. Embarrassing I know.

At that time I also designed a setting to go with it, but again I made some mistakes. I drew some pictures, but also said a lot of my preferences verbally without ever writing them down. For some reason beyond me now, I just trusted. There were certainly no CAD images or anything like that.

Anyhow, come to getting the diamond, initially I was swept away, but rapidly I realised that the larger stone looked nothing like the smaller stones. It had a 'fisheye' effect going on and I hated it. I tried so hard to like it because I loved the outer shape of the diamond, and I did lots of reading into why diamonds behave in the way they behave, but I just... hated it.

Furthermore, the setting that I got was nothing like I had asked for - I mean, I could tell it was a pretty setting, and don't get me wrong, it was like the pictures I drew, but I can't draw!!! Obviously nothing I said got translated to the person making it, which is not a surprise really is it!!!

Gosh, was I an idiot. :( :wall:

Let me see if I can add some pictures (note as this is not an engagement ring I do actually wear this on my right hand, but it was easier to take the pictures with it on my left):

DSCF1443.JPG

DSCF1451.JPG

DSCF1479.JPG

Anyway, I had been reassured that I could change the centre diamond if I didn't like it, so I gathered up the courage and went back (not something I felt at ease doing). I asked for the centre diamond to be changed to a round brilliant. In the interests of my perceived belief that I would be peeving them off, I didn't mention how unlike what I wanted the setting was. I figured I would be better getting the central diamond to my liking and I could upgrade the setting at a later date. I didn't want to make a fuss. I hate making a fuss.

I don't get the feeling that finding a diamond in the UK (or probably really Hatton Garden) is really anything like finding a diamond in America. I was offered one or two diamonds that fit with my desire for a GIA triple excellent, F colour and carat request. By that point I wanted to be able to select based on crown angles/table and depth etc, but that was met with resistance. It felt like the ball was in their court and certainly by then I had to work with my own budget rather than inheritance money.

In the end I went for a GIA certificated, triple excellent, F, SI1, 1.65 carat round brilliant diamond with moderate fluorescence.

I loved it. I love it. It has been worth every penny of pleasure it has given me over the last few years. I left it in the original setting because I didn't want to have to go through the process of getting it reset then. Despite the issues I have with the original setting, it's not without its pleasures.

The original setting has shared prong diamonds down the side. They're about 7.5 points each, making the band maybe 3mm, or just a fraction shy of 3mm. Probably like 2.8mm or something like that. That was a really visually pleasing width for the Wondercut diamond, and I like the width on my finger, but it's a bit too wide for this stone. I do love the fact that with a shared prong setting, the only thing you see when looking at the ring from above are diamonds. I've been doing a lot of looking at pavé settings, and they seem to have visible metal as well as the diamonds, and I don't like that. With this setting, there's nearly no metal apart from the dots from the prongs and I love that. And although I feel the side diamonds are a little bit too wide for the central stone it's still beautiful from the top.

I also love the tulip type setting the central diamond is in. I really love that you can see the whole of the side of the diamond without any other metal getting in the way.

However, I do not really like the rest of the side profile of the ring. It's so frustrating. I had not realised how much time I would spend looking at the ring from the side. The side profile of the ring is so important and it's so frustrating that I don't like it! I mostly don't like the fact that the band rises up towards the central diamond (kind of like it's trying to become a cathedral setting, and I don't particularly like cathedral settings). I suspect it was a way to make the central diamond more secure considering there was no metal girdle around the central diamond supporting the prongs from that inner direction, if that makes sense. But I really dislike the fact that it gets taller towards the middle. I'm also not so sure about the textured side of the ring. I like how much metal there is, and I'm regretful that getting it reset will invariably mean less platinum... but yeah. I guess it was just difficult as it's not what I originally asked for. Thinking about it I'm not sure I would have actually liked what I originally asked for either.

Again, some pictures:

DSCF1508.JPG
DSCF1513.JPG

Anyhow, NOW to actually get to the point for making this post in the first place!!!

I want to upgrade. I want to slightly upgrade the central stone (focusing on light performance, really) and I definitely want to change the setting.

I'm having a few difficulties.

Firstly, although where I bought the ring from offers all that lifetime upgrade stuff, I'm not really sure that I want to go back there. I certainly wouldn't get value for money and I'm sure I would struggle to express what I wanted with them. They do however have lots of various types of stock so I would be able to try on different styles in person. But the level of service I want for the central diamond really only seems to exist in America? I want light performance etc. Bluenile.co.uk is pretty decent in terms of sourcing diamonds at reasonable prices, but I need to be able to part exchange my current ring.

I think there may be a jeweller locally who might do it for me but I'm very scared to go to them without knowing exactly what I want. I'm also on a budget and I'm scared of going to them and taking their time, and asking lots of questions, and then discovering it's not a project I can move forward with right at this moment. What's the etiquette for these things anyway?

If I could go for any of the vendors that were reputable in America I would, as there are so many amazing ones. But again I would need someone who would part exchange my current ring, and I'm scared about things like shipping. I'm also scared because I'll have to be on a reasonably sensible budget and ultimately if I can't afford what I actually want then I would have to wait. I don't want to come across as if I'm messing anyone around.

Another difficulty I'm having is that I have been obsessing about this since I got the ring in the first place. That's many years of obsessing and I'm worried that nothing will be good enough. I have browsed through thousands of settings and none of them are quite right.

Ideally I would like that tulip setting for the centre diamond to stay because I love how much of the central diamond it exposes. However I also want the band to be the same height all the the way around. In view of the fact I cannot find that combination of my current v-shaped tulip type setting and a very flat band, I suspect that there are structural integrity issues. I wouldn't want to do anything that compromised the security of the central stone. I don't know whether perhaps having thicker central prongs would solve that issue? It already makes me slightly nervous to have four prongs rather than six, but I don't really like the way six prongs looks like.

I really really like the shared prongs for the stones in the band. I've looked at lots of pavé settings and nearly none of them seem quite right, mostly because they seem to have metal visible from the top in addition to the prongs. I have on occasion wondered whether I should have the same setting as I currently have, but like... taking the setting of the side diamond furthest away from the central diamond (and therefore the shortest), make it even shorter, and have that on repeat rather than the progressive increase in height. I'm not sure. I can't find any accurate examples of that. Anything similar tends to have the central diamond 'sat on top' of the band rather than 'integrated into' the band. I really don't like when the shank is 'sat on top'.

I also need it to tolerate being put through an ultrasonic and scrubbed manually with a toothbrush. My current one copes with this just fine.

*Sighs*

The closest setting I've currently found that gives me the nicest side profile is Brian Gavin's Grace setting. Obviously that's a solitaire, so I would need to have it customised to side stones. But how I ask for those side stones to be set I don't know. They have a raised shared prong setting, but that has lots of metal visible from the top so I don't like it. And also there's a doughnut associated with that setting that would stop me from placing a band flush against it if I ever wanted to do that. Thinking I'm not 100% keen on a gap.

I just like how the band is the same thickness all the way around, how the stone is in a delicate basket type setting and well integrated into the band to make it nice and low set... it does have the metal girdle but I suspect it wouldn't be safe without it. Would it?

Also Brian Gavin is in America. I have no idea if they do part exchange. I know they do beautiful diamonds. And whatever I chose from there I would then have to do customs' tax.

There's another setting I have found that I also really really like:

This reminds me strongly of the Grace setting actually, but with diamonds down the side, and the setting on those seems nice? What sort of pavé is that? The only thing I don't like is the micropavé around the central diamond.

I suspect however that, in view of the blinding blinding lights in that video, there might be more metal visible from above than I can tell from the video.

Then of course there's the matter of the central diamond.

I don't actually want to upgrade on size. I am really attached to the fact that there is the number 16 in there. I would want another 1.6... 5/6/7/8. I dunno. Or 1.816? Haha, joking, kind of. When I was searching for my current diamond I looked at GIA F and GIA G diamonds and I could see the colour difference. They were loose diamonds to be fair but it was quite obvious. I would therefore prefer F. I want a VS1 or VS2. For fluorescence I'm not sure. I have heard that sometimes fluorescence improves light performance so long as it doesn't make the diamond cloudy. I know that fluorescence is probably a bit less expensive. But... maybe I would like less fluorescence.

In terms of cut, I want something that gives excellent light performance. I love fire. This is the most important aspect to me. In England I haven't really found any place that does light performance certification. I know that Bluenile does have some ideal diamonds with light performance certificates. They're also significantly more expensive.

I guess you can see from how much I've word-vomited why I'm struggling. At least writing this post has helped clarify a few things for me in my head anyway. Well done if you've made it this far.

I guess I'm not sure what I'm after? Some guidance? Searching etiquette? Setting ideas? Places that are highly recommended on here that would take part exchange? Any help at all would be so appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Best wishes,
Lydia.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to get a 2.16 carat diamond ;-)

I would probably start a discussion with Whiteflash to see if they'd take a look at your GIA cert and if they'd consider you for a credit towards an ACA. I don't believe BGD does this (at least, when I asked, they said they don't).

And honestly, ask for what you want from whomever you work with. You don't want another CADless ring that doesn't make you happy.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? How big do you want to go?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to find a setting you really love that is already made, if possible. Or one that is close and can be custom made with the changes you want. You might even find something you like better, because the rings you are talking about are engagement ring settings and not really right hand ring settings. Would you consider adding small side stones and making a 3 stone ring?

As far as the diamond goes, you are going to likely lose money on your current diamond whether you trade it or just sell it outright. Often it's just best to sell and take the loss so you can start over with a better vendor. I'd check with Whiteflash but stones that are ideal cut are generally going to have the best trade value.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I think you need to get a 2.16 carat diamond ;-)

I would probably start a discussion with Whiteflash to see if they'd take a look at your GIA cert and if they'd consider you for a credit towards an ACA. I don't believe BGD does this (at least, when I asked, they said they don't).

And honestly, ask for what you want from whomever you work with. You don't want another CADless ring that doesn't make you happy.

Haha totally true, you know I have thought about 2.16!!! Don't tempt me! :D I am honestly not sure I have the budget for that size diamond really. Certainly in England a 2 carat is double the price of a 1.6 carat... perhaps it's different for if I bought a diamond from America.

I just generally have anxiety for how my previous experience went and I also honestly don't want to cause difficulty with anyone by going through a process that I bail out of because it's too expensive currently or anything like that. But you're right - I want to be happy.

Thank you. :love:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget? How big do you want to go?

You know, currently I don't know what budget I should assign to my goals, and it may be that I can't go forward with this process right now and have to wait another few months or so. But because I don't know how much money I need I don't know at what stage I should be taking this forward - so I will need some sort of overall quote first so I have an idea.

Ultimately my main goal is to find a diamond with awesome light performance that's in the VS range rather than SI. I don't want a smaller diamond but I'm not doing this to get a bigger diamond, if that makes sense. Equally I want to change my setting. I presume there's cost involved as well if I get a CAD.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I think you need to find a setting you really love that is already made, if possible. Or one that is close and can be custom made with the changes you want. You might even find something you like better, because the rings you are talking about are engagement ring settings and not really right hand ring settings. Would you consider adding small side stones and making a 3 stone ring?

As far as the diamond goes, you are going to likely lose money on your current diamond whether you trade it or just sell it outright. Often it's just best to sell and take the loss so you can start over with a better vendor. I'd check with Whiteflash but stones that are ideal cut are generally going to have the best trade value.

Thanks. The difficulty I'm having is that I've browsed so many settings and none of them are just right. I've even thought about just getting a new central diamond and having it set into a solitaire setting, and then at some point later trying to figure out what diamond setting I want.

I know it's kinda strange that I'm talking about engagement type rings, but that's the kind of ring I want. I might wear it on my right hand but it's the style I like. Everyone already assumes it means I'm engaged. Once day maybe I'll wear it on my left hand. As for three stone rings, my mum has a trilogy and it looks amazing on her, but it doesn't suite me at all!!!

I will definitely lose some money on my current diamond. I know that the vendor I bought it from originally was like "100% of the value towards an upgrade..." and all that, but I also know they charge more in general for diamonds, and also would be very unlikely to work with me from a light performance point of view. Therefore, I would lose out going back to them as well unless they've dramatically changed their ethos in more recent times.

I like to think that my current diamond is already pretty damned awesome. It could just be more so, you know? So I wouldn't be selling or part exchanging a dud.

Thank you for also recommending Whiteflash. I will browse through their settings again.

:)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just look on whiteflash at the price for the stones that meet your requirements. Assume you get maybe 2/3 of the price you paid for your stone as credit. Then add about $3-4K for the setting. All this in USD. This will give you maybe the worst case scenario. Or best? PSers? Other ways to get a Best or worse case scenario?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to focus first on the diamond. You talk to the vendor whom you can upgrade with and get a trade-in credit value. We can provide you really good angles to stay within and you can buy your own IS and ASET. But, it will at least give you a value to see what you could get in the UK. Once we have a budget to work with, we can also search online and your jeweller may be able to get that specific stone.

I'd also email WF and ask them what they estimate based on your GIA number. That will give you two solid numbers to compare and think about duty/tax, etc.

One you have a plan for your diamond, then we can look at the setting options. There is a vendor in Hatton Garden that two PS member had success making a setting (but did not acquire a diamond from them). Will search it up...

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I think you need to focus first on the diamond. You talk to the vendor whom you can upgrade with and get a trade-in credit value. We can provide you really good angles to stay within and you can buy your own IS and ASET. But, it will at least give you a value to see what you could get in the UK. Once we have a budget to work with, we can also search online and your jeweller may be able to get that specific stone.

I'd also email WF and ask them what they estimate based on your GIA number. That will give you two solid numbers to compare and think about duty/tax, etc.

One you have a plan for your diamond, then we can look at the setting options. There is a vendor in Hatton Garden that two PS member had success making a setting (but did not acquire a diamond from them). Will search it up...

Thank you!

When you say about the vendor whom I can upgrade with, do you mean my local one or do you mean the one that I originally obtained the ring from?

Yes I would like great angles to stay within. I recently helped a friend find a decent diamond, and in desperation I used the HCA tool as I didn't have any other way to assess the quality of the diamond for her beyond the fact it was 'excellent' cut.

Would a jeweller use part exchange to just help me source a diamond? I feel like that might not end up being worth their time unless I got a setting from them as well? I had originally also been wondering about finding a diamond I liked from Bluenile and asking the jeweller for that stone plus sourcing the setting through them but I don't actually know if they would do that.

Thank you so much in advance the Hatton Garden setter information.

I'll contact Whiteflash and see what they say. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certainly in England a 2 carat is double the price of a 1.6 carat... perhaps it's different for if I bought a diamond from America.
Come to visit us...we are giving diamonds alway. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't look on WF for price comps. I think BN is the best site for new retail price comps on a GIA Ex cut stone. I'd use WF for AGS ideal cuts. I think WF was mentioned because they sometimes take diamonds on trade in.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone once you start looking.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

When you say about the vendor whom I can upgrade with, do you mean my local one or do you mean the one that I originally obtained the ring from?

Yes I would like great angles to stay within. I recently helped a friend find a decent diamond, and in desperation I used the HCA tool as I didn't have any other way to assess the quality of the diamond for her beyond the fact it was 'excellent' cut.

Would a jeweller use part exchange to just help me source a diamond? I feel like that might not end up being worth their time unless I got a setting from them as well? I had originally also been wondering about finding a diamond I liked from Bluenile and asking the jeweller for that stone plus sourcing the setting through them but I don't actually know if they would do that.

Thank you so much in advance the Hatton Garden setter information.

I'll contact Whiteflash and see what they say. :)
Yes. I would contact the vendor you bought the diamond from and ask what they would give you in credit toward an upgrade on the stone. The setting should have no bearing whether or not they made it. Very few (no?) vendors have upgrade options for settings. You may recover your sides stones if they are nice enough, but you'll get melt value on the setting. One thing to consider with that said is would you want to keep that setting and put a colored stone of your favorite color in it?

Diamond numbers... If you use the angles posted above by DS, you'll be in ideal territory. Then, you run the numbers off the GIA in the HCA. Eliminate anything over 2.0. Anything left, may be worth pursuing. You can order an ASET from David Atlas here in the US (not sure of a UK vendor). Then, you can take your own ASET images to look at light return. It will be a lot of work and need great patience. So, weight that against the financials and the worth of your time and patience.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setters in the UK. Just note that if you get an ACA or other branded super-ideal, we are going to recommend you have them or a select few vendors set the stone. While rare, diamonds do get damaged during setting. You want to be sure the setter can replace in kind and is insured for stones they did not source. Some are and some are not.

Hatton Garden Bespoke Diamond Workshop {excellent bench work, not much input on cost}; https://www.facebook.com/HattonGardenBespokeDiamondJewelleryWorkshop/

Durrants in Hatton Garden. 15 Greville St. Good bench work, not much about diamonds sourcing.

Isabella George Jewels. Good bench work. No website as works mostly on referral/recommendation which seems to be the way it works in the uk. Can source OEC diamonds. But can be contacted through [email protected]

Last edited:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Just look on whiteflash at the price for the stones that meet your requirements. Assume you get maybe 2/3 of the price you paid for your stone as credit. Then add about $3-4K for the setting. All this in USD. This will give you maybe the worst case scenario. Or best? PSers? Other ways to get a Best or worse case scenario?

If it weren't for customs, pretty sure I could do a stone from Whiteflash on my budget. I'll still email them to see what they say.

Thanks so much. xx

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I would contact the vendor you bought the diamond from and ask what they would give you in credit toward an upgrade on the stone. The setting should have no bearing whether or not they made it. Very few (no?) vendors have upgrade options for settings. You may recover your sides stones if they are nice enough, but you'll get melt value on the setting. One thing to consider with that said is would you want to keep that setting and put a colored stone of your favorite color in it?

Diamond numbers... If you use the angles posted above by DS, you'll be in ideal territory. Then, you run the numbers off the GIA in the HCA. Eliminate anything over 2.0. Anything left, may be worth pursuing. You can order an ASET from David Atlas here in the US (not sure of a UK vendor). Then, you can take your own ASET images to look at light return. It will be a lot of work and need great patience. So, weight that against the financials and the worth of your time and patience.

You are being wonderfully helpful, thank you.

If the vendor I bought it from will give me credit towards my central stone, I presume I will need to buy the new central diamond through them as well? My current setting I would have no use for. My memory is that my side stones are really lovely but I have no use for them. Would I get credit from those and the platinum melt?

Excuse my ignorance, but what precisely is an ASET scope? Is it like those purple light scopes that show you the hearts and arrows? I do own a loupe but most jewellers have them as well. How easy is it for a general layperson to interpret any pictures?

Thanks again.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Setters in the UK. Just note that if you get an ACA or other branded super-ideal, we are going to recommend you have them or a select few vendors set the stone. While rare, diamonds do get damaged during setting. You want to be sure the setter can replace in kind and is insured for stones they did not source. Some are and some are not.

Hatton Garden Bespoke Diamond Workshop {excellent bench work, not much input on cost}; https://www.facebook.com/HattonGardenBespokeDiamondJewelleryWorkshop/

Durrants in Hatton Garden. 15 Greville St. Good bench work, not much about diamonds sourcing.

Isabella George Jewels. Good bench work. No website as works mostly on referral/recommendation which seems to be the way it works in the uk. Can source OEC diamonds. But can be contacted through [email protected]

I'm all for excellent benchwork!!! Just browsing through that facebook page, it looks very impressive. I think I'm struck by the fact that you've used the word excellent for one and good for the other two...

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't look on WF for price comps. I think BN is the best site for new retail price comps on a GIA Ex cut stone. I'd use WF for AGS ideal cuts. I think WF was mentioned because they sometimes take diamonds on trade in.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone once you start looking.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Hey that's really useful thank you so much.

My current diamond is nearly nearly nearly that.
My table is 57%
Depth 62.1
Crown angle 35.5
Pavillion angle 40.8

It doesn't score so great on the HCA but I honestly think it's a beautiful stone. Maybe if I compared it to one that did fit into the specs I would notice a difference? But it is beautiful.

That's such useful information for when I go looking thank you so much. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond really is nicely cut!

You are very welcome!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pictures of your stone looked really nice and the numbers are not bad at all! Do you want to upgrade to a larger stone or do you want one that is better cut? You might really be happy if it were in a setting that you loved. However, you have to decide if you are really just done with the stone or if it is something you would consider keeping. That will gauge your next step to take.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
The pictures of your stone looked really nice and the numbers are not bad at all! Do you want to upgrade to a larger stone or do you want one that is better cut? You might really be happy if it were in a setting that you loved. However, you have to decide if you are really just done with the stone or if it is something you would consider keeping. That will gauge your next step to take.

Thank you! :) I don't want a larger stone (unless the number can be associated with something sentimental and it's within a reasonable budget), I want a better cut stone that's in the VS range. This stone is nearly there, you know? It's just not quite there. I'm not sure I could go downwards on the colour of the stone. I know that would get me more for my money but I really could see the colour difference between F and G. Maybe I should try again. I'm just scared that I would get a G or an H and then when I'm looking at it, see yellow and be convinced it's because of the colour.

One of my friends has just got a beautifully cut stone and she's getting an I, so I'll have a look at hers when it arrives and see what I think.

I have also thought about just changing the setting. I think I know that this stone isn't completely right; it's given me so much pleasure but it just needs some tweaking. I'm reluctant to then sort out a setting that's right for me, set it with this stone, only to have to reset another stone into it and risk the prongs etc.

I'm more likely to set a new diamond into a really simple setting so that I can get the stone I want and then get an upgrade on the setting later on. :)

Thank you again. :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to upgrade your stone, you are absolutely correct not to pursue a reset at this point. I like your thinking in terms of putting the most money in the diamond and just using a simple setting.

So visit the jeweler that you purchased this stone from, call a few vendors in the US to see if any of them would entertain a trade with you. If all else fails, you might post the stone for sale on Loupe Troop or whatever. I wish you all the best in your endeavor!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to upgrade your stone, you are absolutely correct not to pursue a reset at this point. I like your thinking in terms of putting the most money in the diamond and just using a simple setting.

So visit the jeweler that you purchased this stone from, call a few vendors in the US to see if any of them would entertain a trade with you. If all else fails, you might post the stone for sale on Loupe Troop or whatever. I wish you all the best in your endeavor!

Yes, you guys have given me the bravery to contact the jewellers I actually bought the stone from in the first place. I've asked from them what credit they would provide me including whether they would take the setting as part credit too. I had avoided doing this as I struggle to find my voice with them; I feel that I change my decisions with them based on trying to not create too much of a fuss and on my perception that they're slightly 'no can do', which is obviously not what I should be feeling.

I guess I COULD just get a new stone set into this setting just as an interim thing, but then that would disappoint me too as this setting isn't quite right. We'll just have to see where this all leads. Currently it may be that I need another couple of years to get the budget I would need to do this properly, but if I can get a stone soon that would be amazing. And having things like this to plan is rather fun!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results