shape
carat
color
clarity

My diamond journey & IDJ experience

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Ok, it started with a trip inside my local jewelry store. I really wanted to buy my girl something special.
I contacted the staff and told them I wanted to buy something special and not the regular ring that I felt everyone had.
(From that point I had no knowledge what so ever)
They started explaining the prices for 0.5 ct - 1 ct.
Then they told me if I really wanted to give here a diamond that stood out of the crowd I should buy here a river diamond! ( this is the category for color D-E, the regular color here is H) this was a lot more expensive but if I could afford it they recommended me to do so because then she would have the special diamond I was looking for with full of sparkle! ( the cut was never mentioned )
I've got a feeling that I was being misled so I went home and contacted a company online and asked the same question there, they told me the same thing and added because my girl has some OCD they would recommend me to buy a river vvs stone, it was more expensive but it would be worth it! (The cut was still not mentioned!)
I thought ok, this is the way to go, I found out I would like to buy the stone in the US, because I could save some money and it would be a more romantic place to propose.
I searched true the different diamond shape and found the radiant shape that I wanted to buy (of course I know exactly what my girl wanted, didn't had to ask here about anything)
The day before I was going to order my ring I found pricescope and posted a topic and ask for help picking the right radiant stone.
It took 1 our and I understood that I can't absolutely zero about diamonds! Lol!
Thank god Gypsy told me straight and "forced" me to ask my girl if she really liked the radiant shape ( she hates radiants apparently!:p )
I was recommended to contact IDJ to help me find my special stone.
When I contacted them it was a whole other story, they sent me a lot of options, and I searched true the web and found many diamonds I liked. I talked to Denise and she was really helpful and didn't mind I was taking a lot of time, and sent me a aset pictures of many stones..
I think it took like 20 diamonds before I found the one! ( And me and Denise searched through over 200 stones )
The one I picked was a 2.1 H VS1 h&a.
I then got help from gypsy and others here to make the ring special.
I sent the photos of different rings to Denise and explained here what was important for me.
When I was going to pick up the ring I was really stressed about it,
-Maybe the stone was yellow because I choose H?
-Is the ring ugly because I didn't order it to be handmade?
-Is it really noticeable that I went all in about the cut?
I went to Yokutel as soon I landed, and the ring and the diamond was absolutely stunning!
The fire in the diamond is amazing and I think I could had gone even lower on the color because I can't see any tint what so ever, and I'm trying to find it:p
The only reason I could see why you should buy a "river diamond" is because that is the question my girl gets from here friends "wow! It sparkles, is it a river??!"
But rather than that, I can't see the point.
I would like to recommend IDJ, Yokutel & Denise to every guy in my shoes, and go for the perfect cut!

img_13015.jpg

img_13016.jpg

img_13017.jpg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous story and absolutely AMAZING ring!! :love: :love: :love: It looks gorgeous on her! IDJ is truly outstanding! Congrats on your engagement! :appl:

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great job, Oberst! It looks stunning on her hand! :love: So glad you found PS and are pleased with your purchase!

Also, what is a "river diamond"? Sounds like a gimmick!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness gracious - you are amazing for what you did to find the perfect diamond and setting for your girl!!! The ring is truly stunning!! :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
LadyMCh|1476375722|4086685 said:
Great job, Oberst! It looks stunning on her hand! :love: So glad you found PS and are pleased with your purchase!

In my country they don't use the same system as you guys in the US, so River = color D - E, top wesselton = F - G and wesselton = H.
The thing I don't understand is why do they recommend color D before anything else and not mention the cut.. when I started I thought I could go down too "good" in cut to get the color D.. I think it is bad business ethics to try to sell in the color that way.

Q

Queenie60

Congratulations Oberst - you did good! ;))

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60|1476377016|4086696 said:
Congratulations Oberst - you did good! ;))
Thank you! I kinda miss searching true stones, I believe she's going to get some studs soon :wall: :lol:

Q

Queenie60

Go to Yekutiel for your studs since you had such a good experience. I purchased my studs from him, wear them every day - they are so blingy!!! Good luck and again, congratulations on your engagement!

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
Yes I will :) but think I have to go way down in specs for that one :p

img_13018.jpg

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oberst|1476376795|4086694 said:

In my country they don't use the same system as you guys in the US, so River = color D - E, top wesselton = F - G and wesselton = H.
The thing I don't understand is why do they recommend color D before anything else and not mention the cut.. when I started I thought I could go down too "good" in cut to get the color D.. I think it is bad business ethics to try to sell in the color that way.

Ahh! I didn't know that was still a thing since major labs grade D-Z. So interesting! I'm going to guess you're from the "Nord"/Scandinavia?! You did a beautiful job! Despite the new pic of you wearing the ring, I still think the ring looks better on her hand! :D

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your experience. Gorgeous ring!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Oberst and Y picture is awesome!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
LadyMCh|1476378812|4086715 said:
Oberst|1476376795|4086694 said:

Ahh! I didn't know that was still a thing since major labs grade D-Z. So interesting! I'm going to guess you're from the "Nord"/Scandinavia?! You did a beautiful job! Despite the new pic of you wearing the ring, I still think the ring looks better on her hand! :D

Yes Scandinavia:) I had to try it because here ring size finger is a little smaller then my smallest finger :D

Oberst

Shiny_Rock
just to make myself clear, when I wrote "she hates radiants apparently" I was talking about my girl when I asked here about it, not gypsy.. my English isn't 100 % lol
Thank you for all your compliments on the ring, I really appreciate it :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad she loves it - beautiful ring!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm so glad that you did some further research and found out what she likes...and then found PS!
You did great!

BarbBe

Rough_Rock
YAY!!! This is a great post. So happy for you and your fiance Oberst.

I can only confirm that the experience Oberst had with jewelers in his home country is exactly what I experience in Switzerland and Germany. Diamonds with high color and clarity are sold as diamonds which perform well. It will still require a lot of consumer education to change this culture. That's why there is also little appetite (or appreciation) for old cuts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great post. Love the pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results