shape
carat
color
clarity

My Diamond Dilemma

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Hello, Everyone! I''m new here -- just a girl hoping her boyfriend pops the question sometime soon! However, we (OK, *I* (my BF is pretty clueless about diamond grading)) are encountering a problem. I love two rings:

1. From Tiffany & Co. -- http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/item.aspx?GroupSku=GRP10013&selectedSku=24074293#f+0/0/0/0/0/0
-- 0.35 carats
-- E + flawless
-- ~$5K (I know that with Tiffany you pay for the name, but T&Co is more of a sentimental, "us" thing than a showoff thing, if that makes sense.)
-- Notes: This is so much money for such a small diamond, even though I''ve tried it on and it is STUNNING. That said, it''s so hard to justify that much money since we aren''t big earners.

2. From Kay''s -- http://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product1|10101|10001|-1|990591303|15051|15051.15057
-- 1.1 carats
-- HI + I1/I2
-- ~$2300
-- Notes: I''m by far no diamond expert, so in the store I thought this ring was amazing. So sparkly. So pretty. Loved the setting so much. But then I got online and saw that most places won''t even consider selling a diamond of I1/I2 clarity!

Until I started researching, I never knew that Kay''s was looked down upon so much. Unfortunately, it had to come right after I fell in love with that damn ring. o_O Now, I am not a picky girl. My requirements for an e-ring are simply that I love the setting and that my ring sparkles like WHOA. Both of these rings do that, but now I''m terrified of the one from Kay''s. Also, I''ve read from so many places that we should consider buying diamonds online, but I cannot see my BF doing that, and honestly, I think that would turn him off of this whole process.

So, I just wanted to get your opinions on my dilemma. Also, has anyone ever had a GOOD Kay''s e-ring experience?

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I am sure some have had good experiences with Kay, but I certainly have not. The diamond quality I''ve seen them use in general is very poor. It might sparkle in the jewelry store under the big bright lights, but outside it probably won''t perform well at all. I was given a diamond cross from Kay and it just was dull and ugly. I1/I2 stones are usually heavily included and can impact the performance of the stone.

Now I know Tiffany is more expensive but they will give you a better quality. 1/3 carat isn''t tiny by any standards. In my circle of friends that is normal. I am not a Tiffany gal, but I love the Legacy setting.

Would you consider looking at online places to see if you can find a better deal? There are places out there that can create a similar setting like here http://www.exceldiamonds.com/search.php?for=jewelry&keywords=legacy

Then you could find a really nice stone online that could bring you in to the same price as Kay''s setting, yet look far superior. I''m not very good at finding rounds, but I know others could help.

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Isn''t the T&Co. Legacy ring gorgeous? I was pretty against a T&Co. ring because of our budget, but then I saw the Legacy and I fell. hard. I feel really guilty for wanting it.

Date: 6/17/2010 12:05:10 PM
Author: clgwli
It might sparkle in the jewelry store under the big bright lights, but outside it probably won''t perform well at all.

I thought of that, too. Here''s the thing: This Kay''s isn''t in a dark, light-deprived mall. It is a standalone shop with many windows and it seems to get a lot of natural light. Is there a test or something I could do if I take the ring over to a window and examine it?

As for online shopping, my boyfriend might consider looking, but he is really a fan of going into a store, holding the item, etc. He likes the experience. Plus, he''s a pretty American As Apple Pie good guy, so he is very basic. He seems overwhelmed just by the choice of these two very specific rings, y''know?

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
The Legacy is to die for, I do agree. It''s not just the setting IMO, but the cut of the center stone too is just amazing. Again not a huge Tiffany fan here at all (nothing against them, just not in love with them if you know what I mean) but it is a beautiful look.

As for Kay I highly suggest getting a loupe to look into the stones. And if you can take it to the window, but honestly taking it outside is even better which I doubt they would do. I know everyone has a tolerance for inclusions, but an I2 stone is not really acceptable for a ring at all IMO.

Do you have a Jared''s near by? I would suggest going to them and looking at their Peerless collection. You will see a major difference in the way the stone looks. I don''t think you always have to buy the ideal cuts if that is what you don''t like, but you should at least compare different levels of cuts to see what you like and what you feel is a sparkler in all conditions.

Personally if I were you, I''d go with the Legacy if that is what your heart wants. Yes it is more expensive and you are paying for a name, but if you "made me" pick from those two stores, I''d pick Tiffany hands down. Their cuts aren''t always "ideal" but they are usually very lovely and way better looking than what you find at Kays. I just cannot after seeing my gift from Kay and seeing how bad it looked in most lighting to recommend it to anyone. I''ve since sold my necklace and plan on getting a pretty pendant in the future. It just wasn''t pretty at all in regular lighting.

Oh and I do understand not wanting to buy online. I used to be that way until I started buying off of e-bay for little items. I recently bought a beautiful yellow diamond (in my avatar) online too and I couldn''t have been happier. But, it takes a leap of faith and a lot of trust... oh and pictures or video for me to buy. Settings are much harder too since I really like to see how they look on my finger. I do know that online you can get a lot of stone for your money though by comparison.

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Jean. I wish I could show you guys the I1 ring I looked at yesterday. I need a friend who "knows" diamonds!

So, in your opinion, Jared''s is a reputable seller? In my mind, I always grouped them with the mall stores (Zales, Kay, etc.), but I had no basis for that comparison.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
If I had to pick between the two...it would be the Tiffany...for higher quality.

but I''m going to give you an online option (or a few options...) just so you can compare!

how about a diamond like this one

E VS2 square cushion H&A

in a setting like this or this?

setting 1

setting 2

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 1:01:24 PM
Author: slg47
If I had to pick between the two...it would be the Tiffany...for higher quality.

but I''m going to give you an online option (or a few options...) just so you can compare!

Those are beautiful. I especially love the second setting. I also love this!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no where near as good as finding stuff like what slg47 found. I was hoping others would check in with great ideas!

I think Jared''s is over priced, but their peerless line is good from what I have seen. I personally prefer 2 local family jewelers I have here to "maul stores" so to speak. But I think Jared can find good quality compared to the others. I hope that makes sense.

I do think looking online can find a much better deal for you, but that is a personal thing you both have to be comfortable with doing.

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve just finished working w/ Leon and perry at artofplatinum.com Leon does extraordinary settings!!!! check out the solitares. I would shoot Perry an email tell him your budget for the whole thing, let him see what he can do for you. You might be surprised.

I know several others will all chime in for their own vendors and I''m sure they are fantastic as well. I would SERIOUSLY get a couple of quotes. You will be wearing it a long time. And I do understand about sentimentality and the Tiffany name - I buy a lot of high end and some things not. Just look at your option - that''s all I''m saying. You might find something you think is very special just by looking. Best of luck on this and hey, if you decide Tiffany then, Hooray you''ve looked, you''ve seen, you''ve chose and may everything be nothing but HAPPY ever AFTER =)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ditto vbnet! you are going to be wearing this for a long time. you don''t need to make yourself absolutely crazy with options (like some of us have...) but it is good to know you are getting exactly what you want!

the tiffany ring is really pretty, but you can get a similar style and larger diamond online. you have to decide if it''s worth it to you.

do you have any other stores nearby? maybe you can look at some, or look online. it seems like you are looking for either a round or a cushion with a halo, many PSers have similar rings and can help you find one!

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 3:49:43 PM
ditto vbnet! you are going to be wearing this for a long time. you don''t need to make yourself absolutely crazy with options (like some of us have...) but it is good to know you are getting exactly what you want!

the tiffany ring is really pretty, but you can get a similar style and larger diamond online. you have to decide if it''s worth it to you.

do you have any other stores nearby? maybe you can look at some, or look online. it seems like you are looking for either a round or a cushion with a halo, many PSers have similar rings and can help you find one!

We do have many stores nearby (we live in Pittsburgh), so that is a plus. I was simply trying not to go "absolutely crazy with options" as well, because after a while I''m afraid I won''t know what I want anymore! Also, like I said before, I honestly had never heard negative things regarding Kay''s.

I do love cushion+halos, though. And I seem to be very drawn to rings with an antique look. The round was a total fluke, because typically I hate round. All my life I''ve been a princess-cut girl, which is why I think I favor the Legacy, too -- it''s like an antiquely square. (How''s that for bastardizing a Tiffany ring description?)

I am going to definitely look around, though. Another thing I forgot to mention about why buying rings (settings or stones) online is hard for us -- I have freakishly tiny hands. Size 2! Therefore, so many rings look comical on me. Like they''re costume jewelry. I once tried on a 1 carat solitaire -- oh my word it looked like I got it from a gum-ball machine due to its size.
20.gif

Thank you to everyone for your input so far!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh wow! size 2! so you really can go with a smaller diamond and have it look quite sizable.

you may want to check on some of the settings, if they can customize it for a size 2? best of luck in your search! if you like antique cushions, have you seen the august vintage cushions that Good Old Gold carries?

also someone suggested calling Leon at art of platinum, they can source you a cushion, and those rings are all hand made/custom so the proportions would be right for your finger. that might be a great way to go! good luck :)

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 5:21:33 PM

you may want to check on some of the settings, if they can customize it for a size 2?

THAT is the one thing I always ask about, whether we are just browsing or not. Typically, all rings I''ve looked at are sizable to a 2. However, the jeweler usually needs to send away for the smallest size available first and then size from there. That''s also a bonus to the smaller stones -- less danger in messing the ring up.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Dude, you have got to check out Leon's rings. And I hate you for your awesomely tiny hands
2.gif
I thought my size 5 was small till I got to PS.

BTW, I am having my ring made by Leon as we speak. I think it's more than possible for them to make something awesome and source you a beautiful stone for the 5k you'd spend at Tiffany's. Here's something to chew on a little bit: nothing against Tiffany at all, but they got their name from the work Mr. Tiffany and Co. produced in the 20's. Think of all those wonderful lamps people purchased then that you see pop up every once in awhile on Antiques Roadshow. IMHO, Leon Mege is the Tiffany of this age. If you go to his website, you'll need a towel to help control the drool.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree stay away from Kays. Jared is at least a decent alternative. You can hand pick your stone and have them order in a setting to fit you. That E .61 is gorgeous if you can convince the bf to buy online! Get the stone online and go to Jared for a setting. (then he can see the ring in person)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. A size 2???

I think that''s officially the smallest we''ve ever seen on PS. Good golly I can''t wait for those ring shots..!!

ras2883

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 6:17:09 PM
Author: yssie
OMG. A size 2???

I think that''s officially the smallest we''ve ever seen on PS. Good golly I can''t wait for those ring shots..!!

HA! Size 2 is a blessing and a curse. Blessing = don''t need a huge rock. Curse = sizing nightmare.

And you may have to wait a long time to see some pix, but I''ll definitely post if we ever get engaged!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 7:12:03 PM
Author: ras2883

Date: 6/17/2010 6:17:09 PM
Author: yssie
OMG. A size 2???

I think that's officially the smallest we've ever seen on PS. Good golly I can't wait for those ring shots..!!

HA! Size 2 is a blessing and a curse. Blessing = don't need a huge rock. Curse = sizing nightmare.

And you may have to wait a long time to see some pix, but I'll definitely post if we ever get engaged!

Meh. I wear just under a 4 and I find sizing to be a nightmare, so if I have to go through the nightmare anyway why not do it with a size 2
3.gif

In answer to the original q, I would go with Jareds over both Tiffs and Kays. Better pricing than Tiffs, though still high for the goods, and it's easier to find better quality than Kays, frankly. You really don't want to get an IGI I clarity stone when you have other options.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 5:51:23 PM
Author: missydebby
Dude, you have got to check out Leon''s rings. And I hate you for your awesomely tiny hands
2.gif
I thought my size 5 was small till I got to PS.

BTW, I am having my ring made by Leon as we speak. I think it''s more than possible for them to make something awesome and source you a beautiful stone for the 5k you''d spend at Tiffany''s. Here''s something to chew on a little bit: nothing against Tiffany at all, but they got their name from the work Mr. Tiffany and Co. produced in the 20''s. Think of all those wonderful lamps people purchased then that you see pop up every once in awhile on Antiques Roadshow. IMHO, Leon Mege is the Tiffany of this age. If you go to his website, you''ll need a towel to help control the drool.

SORRY to threadjack, but I also thought size 5 was relatively small until I got to PS!

total ditto that you should check out Leon! He can custom make something with the perfect proportions for you!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Between the 2 rings, I think you will be much happier with Tiffany in the long run.

jn4

Rough_Rock
I love tiffany, have you consider going with a lower color and clarity? that will not only reduce the price but maybe even be able to get you a bigger diamond.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations on the search!

My advice would, honestly, be to try to get over the aversion to online shopping. I mean, I know where you''re coming from - I *hate* shopping online, in general. Clothes? Shoes? I want to try them on and see how they FIT. But with jewelry, the price difference is so astronomical, and the quality difference (if you know where to look) so great ... it''s really worth it.

I think the .61 carat stone SLG47 pointed you towards looks beautiful: so, too, the settings. Mark at Engagement Rings direct is known as The Cushion Guy, and I''ve yet to see him recommend a stone that''s less than beautiful (he also does a nice legacy-esque setting). I, personally, would not buy an I1 for an e-ring: they can sometimes have structural instabilities, and unless I''d graded it myself, I''d feel leery.

Going for a Tiffany ring with lower color/clarity would definitely give you a little more spread, but with size 2 fingers ... it doesn''t seem like you need it! What chaps my hide with Tiffany''s is the knowledge of the mark-up, honestly: I don''t mind anybody making a tidy profit off of me, but they take the usual triple-keystone markup and then multiply it by 3. But if I were going to get over it for anything, it would be for one of their proprietary cuts, the Legacy or the Lucida - there, they''re really offering something no one else has, and, by damn, they''re entitled to charge what they like for it.

The important question is ... what makes you grin the most, when you think about being able to look down at it on your hand every day? Exclusivity? "Quality" as defined by color and clarity? Size? Or some combination of all of the above?

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I understand well wanting to see and try on settings in person, and I recommend you do.

Then I recommend you buy a stone and setting style you liked online. There are some beautiful ones out there - check out the PS vendors websites.

If you really want to buy the setting in store, at least get the stone online and go local for the setting (ie Jareds). You will really go further with your money and get a much better stone or save a lot. People here will be happy to look at the images and so on for you. Check out the AVCs at Good Old Gold or the cushions at Engagement Rings Direct.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Don''t walk away from Kay Jeweler''s....

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bagelboy

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope. Double ditto to Circe''s post. Size 2 is the smallest size I''ve seen. Before you rule out an online purchase,please remember all guys feel better to touch and examine ANY object. Like we know ANYTHING about diamonds!!! Yes,it his money, but he should be shopping to please you and not himself. Personally, I would have no worries from buying from about a dozen Pricescope vendors. I would also look a Jewels by Erica Grace if you like antique jewelry. Check out the search box to the upper right. A great way to get information. The best way to get a ring to fit such a smaller size is just have it made to that size. Take your time, you will find a very beautiful ring! Happy Hunting!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I Okay I had to think about your finger size. My TOE ring is a size 2. Hehehe :lol: , My finger size is a 4 and I thought mine was small.

I think the others are right. If you look at Leon's stuff and you like it, I think he would build/ make you something that wouls look lovely on your finger. i mean he is a CRAFTSMAN and would make the proportion look right for your finger size.

Good luck
:bigsmile:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I think if your BF knew how much more for his $$ he could get from an online vendor, he would feel better about it. Show him some examples, I think he would appreciate you wanting to spend his money wisely. People just really don't know in the beginning of a diamond search. I didn't!

I just can't get behind the Tiffany thing. I know it means something to some people, but I would hate knowing I could have gotten a much bigger stone for the money, or same size stone- much less money. Definitely no Kays!!! Whatever setting they have there, you can get elsewhere. Double triple ditto on Leon Mege.

Good luck- and I'm jumping on the size 2 envy bandwagon!! :Up_to_something:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow a size 2?? I once saw a size 2.5 and her fingers were just the tiniest things (and I'm a 3.25!). Her 1 ct. solitaire looked MASSIVE.

That said, I would really avoid Kays.

Slg found you a really nice option and that square H&A, especially in a halo (and I like the Bev K one you linked to) will look killer.

Do a search on PS. There are some amazing reputable vendors here for both diamonds and settings and many many posters who have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the online experience. I sourced my mom's ugprade stone from Brian Gavin and I just got a small diamond set in a halo from BGD as well, and found the experience to be nothing but smooth and helpful.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me personally I'd do something different than both - Tiffs and Kays are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I would find a stone larger and at least as well cut as the tiff's but I would get it at least twice that size. I wouldn't compromise the quality for a kay's though. Find a middle ground and you will be thrilled!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results