shape
carat
color
clarity

My daughter is not in her senior yearbook!!!!! :-(

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter received her yearbook yesterday and she isn't even listed in it. It's not just missing her picture, she's not even listed in the seniors section. She is devastated, we had photos taken by a really good photographer for her and she loved them and now this. School is blaming it on the kids in the yearbook class.
I am flabbergasted, I know how it works and that a proof is sent to the school before printing for checks and editing I was in yearbook when I was in school.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!!!

Did you call the school?

Please hug your daughter for us.

I mean I woudl go over there and specifically ask what will be done to remedy this.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a new one ...

The school might be able to correct some reminder of the press run - but, I wound't bet on even that: the cost could be staggering ... Even so, they ought to make correct copies available at least to her class. I would not want to have a Yearbook with less than all my classmates.

[reflex opinion]

WHOA !

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very sorry to hear about this :(

Given the litigation culture of the US, I am surprised any school wouldn't take care that this didn't happen!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no Autumngems, this is terrible and I'm so sorry...this is the kind of thing that would really upset my daughter terribly too. I don't know if you have any recourse, I know this is a crazy idea but maybe one could be printed up correctly, just for your daughter? At least hers would have her picture in it. I'm reaching here and it's not a perfect solution but it might be worth looking into.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that sucks!

Even if they printed one corrected book for her she'll still know that she has been permanently omitted from this important record for all her classmates.
Yearbooks are not just for today.
They become more precious and meaningful later in life.
She'll feel like she will not be remembered. :cry2:

IMO this is a very big deal and they should fix it and produce a whole new run, one for every buyer.
The cost has to be absorbed by the school and/or the company that makes the books.

I'm not a litigious person but considering the potential effect on my daughter of the symbolism of being left out of this important record I'd contact a lawyer if they refuse.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AG, I know this all too well and it is a horrible feeling for any child, it seems to be common when students do the yearbooks but I cannot tell whether done accidentally or intentionally (for myself it was the latter). I hope you can remedy it and get a re-print done!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrible! She must be feeling so down about this. As a senior, this is her chance to shine (not to mention, it's the best pics you have taken of yourself in school). I would suggest you talk to the school about what they can do. Students may run the yearbook committee but ultimately it is the school's responsibility that every student is in the book.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry. I graduated in a class of just over 30 girls and my name was not read at graduation. My family was upset. Everyone after me got the wrong diploma, too. We had to trade after the ceremony.

Deb/AGBF

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, AG...this is awful! I'm sure she is devastated! I have no idea what can be done about it...I'm just shocked and upset for you and your daughter!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty-

I cannot take a screen shot, but unless this is a glitch, we each, now, have exactly 17, 347 postings and our 17, 347th are right on top of each other's on this thread! When I post this, this number will change, however! Weird.

Deb

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty-

I cannot take a screen shot, but unless this is a glitch, we each, now, have exactly 17, 347 postings and our 17, 347th are right on top of each other's on this thread! When I post this, this number will change, however! Weird.

Deb

Well Happy 17,347th post Deb! So funny that it happened so close together! I dont pay attention to the number and then all of a sudden I'll notice
my post count and be like wow...do I really have that much worth saying??? Probably not...but I say it anyway!:lol:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's ridiculous. Makes me wonder if anyone else was forgotten or if the omission deliberate.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Aww. How terrible for your daughter. Can't the school print out her version with her page on it?

I know it hurts now, but years later, she might appreciate it. I wouldn't mind if my high school yearbooks just up and combusted :shifty:

I am so sorry. I graduated in a class of just over 30 girls and my name was not read at graduation. My family was upset. Everyone after me got the wrong diploma, too. We had to trade after the ceremony.

My school was big enough that we had to write our name phonetically on a piece of paper (plus whatever awards you got), handed it to a person to read them out just as we went up the steps to the stage, then walked across to get a rolled up blank piece of paper. The diploma was sent by mail later.

Reactions: ame

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's terrible! As a high school teacher, I have heard several horror stories resulting from a bad yearbook staff. One year, a girl's picture was doctored so that it appeared that her vagina was hanging out!!! The school had every yearbook recalled and tore the page out. They reprinted an insert and had the kids insert it themselves. However, Bc the yearbooks are distributed a week before school is out, some kids didn't bother to comply. Hopefully she appeared in other club pictures or pages?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so awful. Hugs to you and your daughter.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly high school kids cannot be trusted to work on yearbooks.
Stop giving them this responsibility.

The 17 year old brain is not developed enough to comprehend the implications of these shenanigans.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reflex reaction:

Well screw them. Life her best life and what did they ever do for her? I would make sure that they don't eff up her transcripts or graduation. They are clearly incompetent. I'd be so mad!!!!

Or if you decide to escalate this, push it all the way up to the top. I'm actually agreeing with @kenny

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow. This is beyond not ok. I'm jumping to conclusions a bit, but if it's deliberate it is definitely bullying and the school should be doing everything possible to fix it and punish those involved.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ohhh, that just bites!! I'm so sorry! I'd insist on a meeting with the principal! And don't tell me that there's no faculty member overseeing the kids?? Surely s/he has some culpability here??

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My daughter received her yearbook yesterday and she isn't even listed in it. It's not just missing her picture, she's not even listed in the seniors section. She is devastated, we had photos taken by a really good photographer for her and she loved them and now this. School is blaming it on the kids in the yearbook class.
I am flabbergasted, I know how it works and that a proof is sent to the school before printing for checks and editing I was in yearbook when I was in school.

As both a past recipient of bullying and a previous high school teacher, this absolutely makes my blood boil. :angryfire:

The school is trying to CYA, but they have no legs to stand on with this. Yes, the little sociopaths in the yearbook class this year sound like they intentionally omitted your daughter, so it's their fault that she was omitted--from the draft.

But I can guarantee you that there's at least one teacher receiving a stipend to teach the yearbook class and edit the draft. And if the school isn't run by complete idiots, there's a second staff member who reviews the proof once it's returned by the yearbook company. At least one adult should be checking for each student's name--especially in the senior class--because this sort of bullying is not particularly clever or unheard of.

Talk to the school one more time, and give them a chance to reprint all the yearbooks. Who's to say your daughter is the only one omitted? Don't let them try to claim that only your daughter should receive a corrected edition; that's just institutional complicity in the yearbook students' bullying. (Feel free to use that exact phrase.)

If the school doesn't get on board, talk to a lawyer. Seriously. If only to force the school to put some effective editing and proofing procedures in place so this BS doesn't happen again. :angryfire:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm baffled as to why some people are jumping to the conclusion that the omission was a purposeful peer effort to embarrass/humiliate autumngem's daughter. autumngems is definitely not an indifferent parent! And she's spoken here of maternal concerns while her daughter was going through high school; classmates' shunning or bullying of her daughter has never been one of them.

I'm struggling to come up with a meaningful, easy to implement suggestion. Had the mistake been caught before the yearbooks were disseminated -- which in my experience is generally about 4 weeks before graduation, not in the September following graduation (!?!) -- a common "fix" is for peel-and-stick pages and/or photos to be added to the yearbooks. But there's no realistically practical way to "recall" the yearbooks now that the graduating class is working and/or freshmen in college or otherwise scattered to the winds. Some school districts issue a supplemental yearbook when a number of students don't make it into the original yearbook through no fault of their own, e.g.,
http://fox43.com/2017/06/07/student...igh-school-yearbook-mother-takes-to-facebook/

Some special edition yearbooks, as suggested up-thread, for your daughter and close friends (produced at no cost to you, natch) should be something the school is willing-able to do since that wouldn't require the expenditure of appreciably more of local taxpayer dollars that a new complete and free run for the entire class would cost. I'm assuming that the e-files sent to the printer are still in the school's or publishing company's possession & that the yearbook advisor or someone else on staff is savvy enough to reconfigure the pages that need to be corrected.

I'm very sorry that this happened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting, Molly. I did not know anything about the fixes for yearbooks and so I was glad to read the information you posted. My own immediate reaction to the incident had been that bad things happen, not that that there had been a conspiracy, but what do I know? I am very sorry it happened and you wrote that you were, too. I would take from this that in the future the school should have more checks on the yearbook before it goes to print. There is no reason not to learn from mistakes.

Deb

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is horrible!

I graduated 14 years ago and one of the girls from class just posted about our senior yearbook. It is also where we look to remember who people were as we see mention of them now. Plus a keepsake from before we started losing classmates. (Well, and includes a memorial to those who died before graduation)

I don't know what to say other than I am so sorry. I can only imagine how devastated she is right now. "A" had a classmate with her name messed up (the yearbook class thought it would be funny as she was in the class too but forgot to fix it after showing her the proof) and that was hard on her. Seems that either intentional or just not enough attention to detail, they need more supervision or something

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While graduation was in June, her school yearbooks are not received until Sept. Everyone has scattered to the winds by now. All I got from the school was they will reimburse the cost of her book and an excuse that "the yearbook is made by the students for the students" they take no responsibility. I know this to be CRAP as I was in yearbook and we had students and teachers check it and went over the proof before it was printed to assure all were included.
I have also asked to be reimbursed for the graduation photo that we paid to have made for that wasn't used at all. No answer back yet.
In this day and age of technology I don't see how this happens, 180 students means 180 photos and names, not 179 but oh well let's print anyway.
I told them I am not the one who they owe an apology but that my daughter deserves a formal apology.

I am still beyond upset and so is she

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry autumngems. This sucks. I don't know how the school can be so careless and yes what happened to the yearbook advisors? Ugh. So sorry.

P

PierreBear

Oh bummer.. I'm so sorry autumngems! How is your daughter feeling about it?
I hope they at least go through a re-print for her!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear -She is devastated, embarrassed, depressed. Just when I had her on good footing with her depression this happened.
She sees her counselor tomorrow, thank God.
I even called Josten's (yearbook maker) to find out if the school even submitted my daughter's info for inclusion to the yearbook and they said I need to talk to the yearbook POC at the school (who has not answered anymore of my emails as of now). Why can't Josten's tell me if it was submitted????
I am going to the school tomorrow after her appt, and if I don't get what I have asked for, and some answers to questions I have asked nicely for, it is going to go viral believe me.
She struggled in school and worked so hard, it's heartbreaking

Last edited:
P

PierreBear

PierreBear -She is devastated, embarrassed, depressed. Just when I had her on good footing with her depression this happened.
She sees her counselor tomorrow, thank God.
I even called Josten's (yearbook maker) to find out if the school even submitted my daughter's info for inclusion to the yearbook and they said I need to talk to the yearbook POC at the school (who has not answered anymore of my emails as of now). Why can't Josten's tell me if it was submitted????
I am going to the school tomorrow after her appt, and if I don't get what I have asked for, and some answers to questions I have asked nicely for, it is going to go viral believe me.
She struggled in school and worked so hard, it's heartbreaking

How heartbreaking! I really wish she wasn't going through all this. Hopefully her counselor has some comforting words that can give her encouragement. Way to be a mom that is doing everything she can to make the situation better though. Hang in there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results