shape
carat
color
clarity

My Daniel M. Ring Is Ready!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I can't stop looking at the photos; it really came out great. It is an adaptation in 14k yg of their Split Shank Trellis ring, as I posted earlier. Thank you, everybody for your advice re 1 or 2 rows of melee on the shank. Gave me the clarity to realize I agreed that one row was best -- & it's just right.

Remember, this tourmaline is NOT brown! It hates hates to pose for the camera & refuses to show its beautiful real color, just to let me know it's the Alpha Dog. Embarrassing me on purpose. It is a gorgeous saturated copper with flashes of peach, and is very very neon with its own light in dark shadow. So use your imagination, I guess.

Okay, here goes:

The coppery areas in the 1st pic are closest to the color of the entire stone. There isn't any brown.

--- Laurie

Hand shots when it arrives!

il_58.jpg

il_59.jpg

il_60.jpg

il_61.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
And, for the heck of it, my new wedding ring, gift from DH for our 35th anniversary. These are vendor photos, haven't gotten any RL shots yet. I like that it has square edges rather than round. 14k -- the standard one by the Etsy vendor has 7 diamonds; I had her use 9 instead. F-G SI1.

icm_7.jpg

icm_8.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the proportions of your Daniel M ring - in fact, I love it period. The wedding band is gorgeous as well, but I'm curious why you used another vendor?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Copper beauty alert!! What a fantastic ring - and peach or copper, that's a fabulous stone and so perfectly paired w the setting! Truly meant to be together! I'm loving the single "collar" and glad you went that route not the double band. This really looks light and well proportioned. And the split prongs are perfect!

Enjoy both your new rings! How very exciting, and major congratulations on your 35th anniversary :appl: not too many couples reach that milestone- impressive!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both rings are beautiful, but your new ering? my, my! Reminds me that I really do want a colored stone ering alternative,so thanks!
Wear them in good health, looking forward to hand shots of the set.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out just like the CAD but even better looking :) Enjoy!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! It's just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! We're going to need lots and lots and lots of pics when it arrives! I can't wait to see it on your finger!

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
It is gorgeous. The setting is amazing, it all is so pretty.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! I love the color of the stone and the setting. :appl: I like your wedding ring, too. :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
your tourmaline ring is one of the best I've seen on pricescope in sometime. your center stone is the star. the setting is elegant and well executed. the stone and setting are not overpowered by diamonds. for my $ and my taste? you scored 100%! and it looks great on you, too! congrats!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, I truly love this ring! You are apologizing up and down about the color, but I have to tell you, I love the color of the stone in the pics! :love: And the setting turned out beautifully and is just perfect for your tourmaline! The yg and the color of the stone is such a yummy combo. I love your new band, too. Will you wear it with this ring? I can't wait to see hand shots!

You're having a lot of fun right now in the jewelry deptartment, aren't you? :naughty: Congrats on your 35th, what a wonderful milestone to reach! :appl:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous setting, fits that stone perfectly--especially the ring of diamonds on the shank--really a nice touch--well done! :appl: :appl:
sarahb

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
junebug17 said:
You are apologizing up and down about the color, but I have to tell you, I love the color of the stone in the pics
Junebug, I'm not apologizing but venting -- it's really maddening to be unable to catch the wonderful color of this tourmaline when it's so rich & coppery/peachy. I love brown stones -- smoky quartz is a favorite, but this dang critter has no brown in it IRL at all! In photos it either shows pale orange or brownish when it's really a gorgeous unusual color I'd love to share. This is Steve Wallner's photo from when I bought it -- but it isn't this orange; it's actually truly copper w/peach flashes but he couldn't get closer either.

Thank you everybody -- I'm really thrilled with it too. Can't wait to see it on my own paw -- the photo is of Caren's hand, wish mine looked that good.

The wedding ring came first -- made by Valerie K. on Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/ValerieKStudio. I found her roaming around & think her designs are unusual & fluid. This ring was so inexpensive relative to most etoile-type ones that I decided to give her a try, since her feedback is excellent. She's just great to work with! Finished earlier than she promised. Had a glitch when, the first day I wore it, a diamond fell out & disappeared. Honestly, I thought she'd die of distress. Said to send it back, she'd pay all shipping, replace the stone & check every mm of the ring. She sent me 2 more emails about how upset she was. When I answered that hey, life's too short to blow the blood pressure over something that can be fixed when I knew she cared about doing it well, she replied w/thanks for giving her perspective because her jewelry-making mattered so much to her. And she gave me a discount for any future purchase.

I've looked for a setting that would do justice to this tourmaline for 2 or 3 yrs. A halo would've been too much bling, wanted it to stand out. I saw the trellis ring on Daniel M's site & bang! the idea came -- no bezeled diamond accent, but a row of melee where the milgrain is.

It's neat to finally get some stuff set. Made myself a rule not to buy another stone till I gave permanent homes to some of the orphans waiting for them. Plenty of backlog left, but I'm tapped out for now. Someday I'll actually take pics of those orphans!

--- Laurie

copper_tourm.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean Laurie, I feel the same way when trying to get pics of my OEC, the camera just won't capture what I see IRL - and I'm sure it's even more maddening for colored stones because there is the added pressure of capturing the color that you see IRL! Very frustating, but I just wanted to let you know that I love what I see in the pics!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Then you've done the teeth-grinding, elaborate cursing, & tantrums at your camera that I have, Junebug. Only a fancy setup & a much better camera would do the trick & I'd rather spend that money on stones. You too, I bet! But you'd think when a gem gets a modeling assignment, it would have the grace to try a little, grrr. I am curious to see how this tourm looks in its real color in its setting.

Speaking of brown stones if you like them too, Doug Menadue had a pair of octagon smoky quartz, just beautifully cut, for a small price. I dithered & visited a lot but didn't buy them -- I have brown hair & thought the marvelous earrings they would make would not show very well. Still sorry -- they've sold since -- but probably a sensible decision. C'est la vie.

Threadjacking my own thread! :saint:

--- Laurie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great looking piece--wear it in health!

cheers--Sharon

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
It's lovely. I wants!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that I REALLY love this setting! Now having seen it, I have a gem that I may ask Daniel about setting for me, in a similar style to this. It's so beautiful.

I also appreciate hearing your review on Valerie K. I've had her store in my favorites for quite awhile, and I think her prices look very reasonable. I may give her a try as well, I really like to use jewelers who care so much about the quality and customer service they provide.

Enjoy your new beauties :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Katharath, Wyntery, Canuk-gal, et al. Kath, I would recommend Valerie, in spite of the problem with the diamond coming out. If the ring had cost more or I'd been in a time bind (e.g., wedding) I might have been more annoyed, but honestly, she was so genuinely distressed, I didn't mind much. She handled it very well, offering to pay shipping back & forth & a future discount. She was pleasant about my million tiny questions. Her work is well designed & imaginative -- not BGD or Canera quality but also not so many bucks required. I'd love to buy a few of her other rings.

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, your new ring is simply gorgeous!!! I totally understand what you are saying about being unable to capture the true color on film but even with that issue it looks amazing!!!!! :love:
And I love your new wedding band too! :appl: What a great gift from your dh!!

I cannot wait to see your hand shots of your new beauties!!! Enjoy them and wear in much health and happiness!!!!

ETA: Sorry about all the exclamation points...I just feel strongly about your new rings haha. I think I write with too many of them though. Gotta work on that. Not sure what forum etiquette is regarding this issue lol.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I got what you meant, Missy -- I do the same with exclamation points, put 'em in, take 'em out, some back in again. Anyway -- thank you. I can't WAIT to see the ring on my own wrinkly paw. DH doesn't know about this one, but I've gotten a ton of gem mileage out of the $8K he spent on a spare vintage car engine without telling me till a whole year later! :devil:

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1371478981|3467338 said:
I got what you meant, Missy -- I do the same with exclamation points, put 'em in, take 'em out, some back in again. Anyway -- thank you. I can't WAIT to see the ring on my own wrinkly paw. DH doesn't know about this one, but I've gotten a ton of gem mileage out of the $8K he spent on a spare vintage car engine without telling me till a whole year later! :devil:

--- Laurie

OMG Laurie- we really are "twins" cause I would do the same thing in a heartbeat should my dh ever do something like that. And he knows it too because I've done it before. :devil: (which is kinda sad for me because no revenge jewelry purchases until he slips up again and I get the feeling he's not going to because that one hurt lol :cheeky: It is very effective because it happened over 10 years ago and no slip ups since :bigsmile: )

Anyway I'm very much looking forward to seeing your handshots of this beauty!!! :appl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Totally.In.Love!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1371393915|3466872 said:
your tourmaline ring is one of the best I've seen on pricescope in sometime. your center stone is the star. the setting is elegant and well executed. the stone and setting are not overpowered by diamonds. for my $ and my taste? you scored 100%! and it looks great on you, too! congrats!

Just popping back in again because I love your ring so much. MZ's sentiments are mine too! I especially love the copper color and think it would look fabulous with my sunstone asscher rose gold pendant! :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, thanks, Bluebirrd. That's so nice of you! I'll send you my address & pics of them together! =)

Missy -- reminds me of Gracie Allen, when her husband George Burns slept with another woman & felt so guilty, he bought her a gigantic silver candelabra for the dining room table. She said she kept hoping for him to slip up again. I plan to eke out every possible stone from DH's, ahem, error with the engine! :saint:

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1371502852|3467579 said:
Gosh, thanks, Bluebirrd. That's so nice of you! I'll send you my address & pics of them together! =)

Missy -- reminds me of Gracie Allen, when her husband George Burns slept with another woman & felt so guilty, he bought her a gigantic silver candelabra for the dining room table. She said she kept hoping for him to slip up again. I plan to eke out every possible stone from DH's, ahem, error with the engine! :saint:

--- Laurie

LOL, that's it exactly. However, if he ever "slips" up like that well, I wouldn't be as forgiving as Gracie if you kwim. There's not enough jewels in the world for that slip up! But, if he wants to go and spend a lot of money on something and forget to discuss it with me please go ahead. I can think of a few baubles I could use. And if our dh's mess up at the same time well, can I just say the 2 of us can do a big GTG and we'll be ready to spend! :naughty:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!!!!!! I know your pics can't capture the color of your gemstone as most of ours cannot. But even with the pics you posted your ring is gorgeous.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it in hand yet?! I need more pics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results