shape
carat
color
clarity

My Customized E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
So after months of searching for just the right ring, I have decided to custom make the engagement ring. I think Pricescope has been invaluable to me in learning about rings and things so I want to share with you the initial drawings. My girlfriend cares much more for the setting than the actual stone, so I wanted to make a really special setting.

I had a concept to make the ring a symbolic Tain.o Sun (puerto rican sun god). I made very detailed sketches in powerpoint and included various artist representations of sun faces from other art forms (drawings, paintings, sculptures, etc). I sent this file to Leon Mege and a local jeweler here in Boston.

Leon called and was amazingly affable and easy to talk to. He thought the concept was great, but was worried that I had too much metal on a small stone (1 ct, which for me is all I can afford). He did offer to think further on the idea.

The local store sent the files to his friend in florida. On the second iteration between the two of them, I got the most thoughtful and imaginative representation of the ring I could have hoped for. He seemed to lock in on one of the sun representations shown below. I mentioned in the file how I liked the debth the overlapping rays gave the image. That became the theme of the top of the ring. The top of the ring I think can best be described as a modified princess diana in a micro pave. I have never seen anything like it before. The basket work and also side profile of the rings also continue the theme wonderfully. Little flames (subtle) and other great touches. Let me know what you think!

Oh, I should also really mention that I couldn't really tell if I like the ring from the 4 CAD drawings I received. The designer also included a 3d plug-in for internet explorer were I could rotate, spin, and zoom the ring model. Have any of you seen this feature before? I have had realistic dreams of the setting I think mainly because of the software.

So it goes without saying that I highly recommend the company doing the work, www.skylightjewelers.com. Spencer (617-426-0521) seems to do all handwork. He tends to use unique methods of grabbing stones (a little like steven kretchmer). He also works closely with the guy who did my ring and a few others. I have seen finished examples of both artists work and they are in my opinion top notch (all work I believe is done under magnification).

sunface02.jpg

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post pictures of the ring?

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Okay now for the actual ring top. I am leaving for a week, but I am looking forward to your thoughts! The ring is currently sized for a 1 carat stone.

Thanks!

ringtop020.JPG

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
From the CAD it really does look like the sun- how cool is that!

I can't wait to see the side details and think you're on the way to one very amazing custom ring!

e.t.a.: and since when is 1 ct small?????? It's perfect for engagement rings and especially for halos.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love it!
30.gif

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 12:19:28 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
From the CAD it really does look like the sun- how cool is that!

I can''t wait to see the side details and think you''re on the way to one very amazing custom ring!

e.t.a.: and since when is 1 ct small?????? It''s perfect for engagement rings and especially for halos.
Fountainfairfax, I completely agree! 1 ct is pushing the boundries of what I want to pay. I think Leon deals with a much higher clientele than me. I didn''t mean it as a knock though as he was very very nice.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very creative - looks like it would be a beautiful piece when finished!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I love it, really lovely and very personal! When will you have it?

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/29/2006 1:15:19 PM
Author: Matatora
I love it, really lovely and very personal! When will you have it?
My understanding is that I could of had the setting without the center stone made by the time I got back from the trip, with the center stone taking a few more days. I decided to wait till I see the wax, but I do really feel like I completely get the gist of the ring (and its balance/proportions) due to that 3d imaging plugin. So that was a toss-up, but sided with caution and requested the wax. It was suppose to be in by friday, but missed by one day.

One thing I am considering is rolling the edges of the band to a shiny finish. I think that would complement the head better; I don''t want the band to be too distracting.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty and very unique, but not over the top. Your gf is going to love it. And I don''t think 1 carat is small at all!!!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
Very awesome and unique!! 1 ct is definitely not too small!
38.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Very cool design! I can''t wait to see the finished product!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a cool design, I love it. Can''t wait to see it once it''s finished.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!
10.gif

How cool is this?!
36.gif

I think the ring is going to turn out awesome! And how special it will be that your images have come to life to present to the one you love!

Looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

Have a great day!
35.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
That looks awesome! And, 1ct is a really nice size and will look bigger with the "sun" around it!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I think your design is amazing and striking...I am confident that your GF will be very impressed...Good Luck to you!!!
emwink.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, how unique and unusual. Make sure the points of the sun are not going to be too pointed, have them rounded, otherwise your girlfriend could have a problem with snagging. I think the setting is going to be amazing and a 1ct stone will look a lot bigger once set (even though a 1ct is not small).

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
I am back. Getting ready to head over and see the wax this afternoon. I was originally concerned about the potential jaggedness of the "halo" but princess di had 14 triangles and this design has 24. I imagine it will be visuall more rounded, but we will see this afternoon. Definitely do not want it getting caught on things though.

Thanks for the kind words, making a custom ring design is a big step for a guy. I know exactly what styles she likes though and am comfortable enough.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I think your design is fantastic! Congrats! Best wishes to you and your fiancée-to-be, and keep us posted on your progress.

And about the 1 ct size... It''s definitely not too small. My boyfriend can''t afford 1 ct, so I''ll be going with smaller, and I''m fine with that.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to hear what you see today. I am very fond of celestial designs and I think that ring is just wonderful!

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 12:42:31 PM
Author: anchor31
I think your design is fantastic! Congrats! Best wishes to you and your fiancée-to-be, and keep us posted on your progress.

And about the 1 ct size... It''s definitely not too small. My boyfriend can''t afford 1 ct, so I''ll be going with smaller, and I''m fine with that.

I went to Eastern Europe on vacation this last week, my first vacation in some time. Since I am in this process, I was looking at the local wedding rings. So much different. I don''t think size matters, and for me and her, having a overly flashy ring may be somewhat against our beliefs. The other week we were sitting at the movies and the couple in front of us had the largest 3 stone (princess center) ring with amazing band. I think the center must have been ~2 carats and clearly a perfect cut. I have not seen anything just leap of the finger, but in total carats with matching band she must have had 5-6 carats easily. I couldn''t believe the light coming off that set, I think that is why we even saw the rings. I noticed actually that she tended to fold her hand in a way that covered the ring. I wondered if this was subconscious as she must gets so many stares at the ring.

Anyway, I think that the halo sun ray idea is great and will go with it. I think I probably could make it in a .75 and still have it look well proportioned. But after seeing the wax, I think the proportions do not need much work and will stick with the 1 carat. I am doing better financially now and can swing it.

I would say what is more interesting way to talk about this is the best bang for the budget available. My experience from working with my jeweler is that if you can get a customized ring (perhaps even including her in the design for it is quite fun) for a price less than a designer, then that will surely outscore the diamond size or qualities 10 to 1. I should warn also against getting it designed as well because I have now seen many faults to the system. I am an engineer so am very aware of cad/cam capabilities. I will post some examples of how bad jewelers can scam the design process. I am just very busy right now. Anyway, some of the designs can take 30 minutes; the jeweler can give you a cookie cutter design that looks amazing on screen, but why pay for 30 minutes of work?

Anyway, I am pretty sure my GF will be floored. I can''t wait.

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Okay, while I mentioned it, check out this link so you can see the "dark side" of getting the ring custom made.

http://www.gemvision.com/html/resources/gallery/gallery.html

Look for the fourth row: Vladimir Charchuk

Click on the first two of his images and read his comments about the capabilities of CAD. I think you will see what I am getting at. True art work takes thought in my opinion.

BTW, since I thought that these comments were on the extreme side, I looked further into the jeweler. See this link which indicates the business was closed due to a "bridge closing."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2004/09/20/story3.html

I also found a online design program that demonstrates how the cad process works. I just don''t recall it right now. Anyway, for standard rings, selecting the basket and prong styles is like selecting an autoshape in powerpoint. They have some guided illustrations that demonstrate nice designs in under 2 minutes. That is great of course, but if the jeweler is only skilled in using cookie cutter shapes, can they adapt to your request? My ring has non standard shapes that required actual computer drawing. That isn''t important obviously for all rings, but having the ability to deviate from known common setting styles is probably important so that the requested design isn''t artificially limited if they are solely a CAD house. Obvious, many jewelers require no CAD software to make great pieces as well, completely handmade is also possible.

However: Check out this out! Go back to the first link with the image gallary and go to Vahan Muradyan''s two entries and click on them. He works for Michael Beaudry, which I have seem some here say is one of the best current designers of high end jewelry. So if Beaudry is doing at least some of his designs on a computer, then I think it seems like this is the future.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results