shape
carat
color
clarity

My custom setting-what do you think??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
So I''m working with a private jeweler on a custom setting. I am going to be getting a cushion stone around 1 c for the setting, but he wanted to start on my setting design first. I wanted something similar to the tiffany novo setting. What do think about the custom basket setting? I didn''t want anything to block the side of the stone, so that it will be more visible and easy to clean. We decided to do the basket type setting for structural integrity, as it''s going to be a very dainty ring. It will also be platinum. If you have any suggestions please let me know!!

markring2.JPG

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
alternate view

markring1.JPG

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
top view....mind you this is a computer image rendering.

markring3.JPG

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring!!!! Can''t wait to see hand shots!!!

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
thanks! what do you think about the "V" part on the basket? Do you think it would better if it was more of a U shape?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the V, but I personally prefer "swoopier" prongs myself. I think that would suit a cushion nicely. But if you are the one wearing it (the gal), it's really about what you like!

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
yeah, i like the uniqueness of the v, but I''m thinking it may be too sharp of a look for it being a setting for a cushion. plus maybe a little too modern looking? I do like that it gives more support, while allowing the stone to be viewed from the side. I think I may ask if he can make it more of a "U" shape. Also, he is going to make it a squared shank on the bottom, which will make it unique and keep it from spinning.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Omigosh, it''s gorgeous!!
30.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:16:02 PM
Author: Ellen
I like the V, but I personally prefer ''swoopier'' prongs myself. I think that would suit a cushion nicely. But if you are the one wearing it (the gal), it''s really about what you like!
I was going to say the same thing. It looks like it will be a pretty ring!

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, that was my only concern as well. I think the V may be a bit to sharp looking for a setting holding a cushion. I think if it is made more into a U to give will give it a more curvier feel. This is what you guy were referring to swoopier prongs?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 12:38:46 AM
Author: Aida1010
Yeah, that was my only concern as well. I think the V may be a bit to sharp looking for a setting holding a cushion. I think if it is made more into a U to give will give it a more curvier feel. This is what you guy were referring to swoopier prongs?
No, we''re referring to the actual 4 prongs that hold the diamond, like in this setting.

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
oh ok. well i really don''t like cathedral settings and i don''t know if the curvier prongs would work without the cathedral look. I think the prongs will look a little different once the ring is actually made. the prongs on this digital image look huge and very straight. I think perhaps the adjustment to the v, will make a difference. I''m going to email him today. Once I get a new image I''ll post it to see everyone''s thoughts! I appreciate the input!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:45:51 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I agree that I like curvier lines with a cushion. I really like the Legato solitaire head:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Legato--Sleek-Line-Diamond-Solitaire_1118.htm#
Ditto. Lovely design, but the V is a bit "harsh" for lack of a better word imho..kinda sharp..especially if you''re going to have a soft, rounded edge cushion, kwim?
I think it will look lovely with modification just to that section - I have the legato that DS linked above and the basket wires are the cutest part
5.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I think the V looks nice. I like how sharp (literally and figuratively) it is. I think it's definitely a unique look, and I love it! Of course, everyone is different, but I'm really into modern and contemporary styling.

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
yeah, i really wanted something unique and me. i love basic solitaire settings as i feel they really show off the center stone the best. I really love the thin band with pave set diamonds because to me it''s like a solitaire with a bit of oomph :) I really think it''s close to perfect, and like the V because it is really unique. If i ask him to make it into the more U shape, it perhaps won''t be quite as unique, but honestly, I''ve never seen a setting like this with anything other than just the basic 4 prong or a basket. I''ve looked everywhere for this type of setting mind you. Good old Gold and diamonds by natalia both have similar designs. I always liked the ritani and tiffany''s novo, but the novo is a bit masculine looking to me, and the ritani is nice but i wanted a more rounded look to the band, if that makes sense. The V from the side angle reminds me of Charlie Brown''s shirt. haha, and I don''t know if that''s the look I''m going for.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the sharp V, it looks very modern.

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
thanks! i emailed him this morning and asked if i could see it with the V part changed. I''ll post the new pics as soon as i get them.

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
here''s the first picture of my new adjusted setting design! i really like it and think you guys will too!!

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
ok pic #1

adjustedsetting1.JPG

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like the design, and its expertly made. Very Pretty.

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
ok pic #2

adjustedsetting3.JPG

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the new one better.

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
the second pic isn''t that great. i''ll attach a third, which he made with split prongs, which i don''t think i am going to get, but i asked him to show me what it would look like anyway. but you get to see the setting a little better. it''s the exact same except for the prongs being split.

adjustedsetting33.JPG

Aida1010

Shiny_Rock
thanks for your input guys!

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I really prefer it with the "swoopier" basket, beautiful ring, nice choice!

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
I am all for the second style also, it is stunning looking at the side view. Good luck!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the new crown detail, looks lovely! I personally would skip the split prongs for a more sleek and modern design to go with the crown detail although normally I love them with pave.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results