shape
carat
color
clarity

My collection of antique diamond watches... pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have a habit of collecting antique diamond watches; they're something you can sometimes get a freaking STEAL on on eBay. I wear them all the time. I'm NEVER afraid to overdress, especially to work. I work at an antique mall, and we do sell some estate jewelry, so I think it helps sell it when people see me wear it.

I bought this one from doverjewelry off eBay last year. I adore it, it's my favorite by far. It has 2 carats of antique cut diamonds, some full cut some single cut, and the hand engraving is beautiful. The millgrain is soooo tiny, and it is in perfect, perfect shape. It makes you realize just how worn a lot of antique millgrain is. I think this watch was barely worn, which makes me afraid to wear it much because I'll probably hurt it. I still do though! The movement is marked Royce and the metal is platinum. I'm thinking this is c.1920s, it's so thoroughly Art Deco.

watch2.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Bottom of band.

watch4.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The side is hand engraved.

watch5.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It looks a lot more delicate in person, more like it does in this picture.

watchroyce6.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
This is one that is a ''40s (or even possibly ''50s) platinum watch with movement by Kent; I like this one but I wish the original bracelet was still attached, it has a stretchy metal one on it and I bet it was a black cloth one originally. No idea what the cttw is.

watchkent2small.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Last one I've bothered to photograph; this one has a bracelet that goes all the way around the wrist, with diamonds all down it (a lot don't, the other two I have on this thread don't, for example). The cool thing is, this one has a tiny tiny TINY St. Christopher sterling medal on the clasp, from the original owner. No idea what the cttw on this one is either; it is 14K white gold. Hampden Swiss movement.

watch2hampden.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thoes watches are so beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Thanks for sharing your amazing watch collection
35.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I love them all! I''m trying to get a bracelet that looks very similar to your first watch.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your fun collection!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love your watches, thanks for sharing!

Old things are so neat.
5.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your watches are amazing! I''m in love with them all.
30.gif
30.gif
Thank you so much for sharing them with us.
36.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exquisite watches - I love antique watches.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2008 10:24:42 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Exquisite watches - I love antique watches.
HI:

Ditto!

cheers--Sharon

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful watches! I can imagine that they might draw interest ... they must be lovely in person.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, I love them all! Those are very pretty, I can see why you collect them!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Those are gorgeous!
30.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks everyone! It''s fun to see other folks who enjoy sparkly stuff- most of my friends think I''m fully insane.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Your collection is beautiful!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re really just stunning! Do you have any tips on ebaying when it comes to antique watches? I would be so afraid of getting ''taken.'' But it seems like a great way to acquire these pieces!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Holy cow, your collection is amazing!
30.gif

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! They are beautiful, thanks for sharing!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
FireGoddess, most of them I paid around $200 or a bit less for, with the exception of the 1st one. Usually my tactic is to search "diamond watch vintage" and "diamond watch antique" in all categories, and "diamond watch" inside the vintage/antique category. Oh, and "platinum diamond watch" is a good one too. Then weed through the crap, then bid on about 5 for every 1 I win- I just bid my top amount and soon enough you''ll get lucky, especially with the ones you had to search hard to find with no good keywords. I have maybe 4 others not posted here, some at least as nice.

I have not yet had one not as described; I only bid on ones that the seller says can run. Of course you follow typical ebay common sense- established sellers, good feedback, lalala. I will probably get screwed eventually nevertheless, but so far so good... typically I assume that for every 10 purchases I''ll get burned on 1. (Usually I purchase French Art Deco glass like Verlys, Lalique, D''Avesn, etc, and it is usually every 10th piece that isn''t as described; DH & I tend to figure it into our bid amounts, and if it is coming from France we ASSUME it is chipped!) I haven''t bought any watches recently I have to admit.

There is one major catch to collecting diamond watches. You HAVE to have a small wrist, 6-6.5 inches. Mine is a bit over 6.5, and I''m usually OK with the 6.5in ones, just not much slack, you know? A 7 inch wrist band on an antique watch is a rare, rare thing. I have tried to resell one or two of mine at the antique mall I work at; having those in a showcase was like having Cinderella''s slipper! Tough to resell...

The nice thing about collecting them is that they''re not real popular, thus the good pickins, and they aren''t being reproduced today so all are definitely old.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 2:54:10 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten

There is one major catch to collecting diamond watches. You HAVE to have a small wrist, 6-6.5 inches. Mine is a bit over 6.5, and I''m usually OK with the 6.5in ones, just not much slack, you know? A 7 inch wrist band on an antique watch is a rare, rare thing.
And that is exactly my problem....my wrist isn''t that small, which is why I gawk and drool at these watches but still don''t own one. *sigh*
40.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful watches!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results