shape
carat
color
clarity

My Chihuahua Mix is Terrified....

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you been having a hard time @House Cat and hope you begin feeling less anxious soon. I know it’s rough to deal with. If you need to talk I’m here.

I’m no expert at anything but I would guess if she was anxious because you are, she wouldn’t be calm with you outside. Hopefully the vet can help you figure out what’s going on with her.

There have definitely been times where I swear our dog knows when I’m stressed. She stays glued to me. She is part poodle.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then i wondered if my emotions were making her this way. I know it sounds crazy but I once read that poodles can become very connected to their owners to the point to where they almost seem psychic. If their owners are neurotic, the dog will suffer. Well I’m naturally anxious and have been having a hard time...this is a very emotional, in tune dog. We are going away for the weekend and she will be staying with her FAVORITE person, my son’s girlfriend. We will see if her behavior changes at all. If she is super mellow, maybe we know what her trigger is. Because truthfully, I’m making everyone anxious.

House cat this is the perfect opportunity and hopefully that is what it is because then your girl is A OK and she is just being empathetic to her mama's feelings. Animals definitely do that and not just poodles feel their owners emotions strongly IMO. Of course yet another advantage of cats. They seem unaffected by my mood.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-dogs-emotions/dogs-can-read-human-emotions-idUSKCN0VP1DH

Many dog owners believe their pets are able to pick up on their moods, but scientists have demonstrated once and for all that man’s best friend can actually recognize emotions in humans.

The study shows that dogs can integrate two different sources of sensory information into a perception of emotion in both humans and dogs. This means dogs must have a system of internal categorization of emotional states. Among animal groups, it’s a cognitive ability previously only evidenced in primates.

I get it because I can be an anxious person myself. Having animals helps calm that for me and when they are in my arms purring it relaxes me. I can see where your nervous energy can feed your sweet pup's nervous energy and if that is what it is you will figure it out and find new ways to decrease your anxiety but I know it is not easy at all. Sending you peaceful and comforting thoughts and enjoy your time away this weekend.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chihuahuas as a group are probably the most neurotic breed out there. It's because of their size. Everything might be a danger to them, in their own minds. So please, don't blame yourself. She is fine outside, so she probably got spooked inside. She may stay that way for a long time, but maybe some positive reinforcement and distraction will help. Plus, a tired dog is a good dog or a less neurotic one too.

Hoping the vet offers some good advice. Dogs can be treated for anxiety, there are meds for that. Two of our dogs get freaked out all the time by things they've been around forever. Cell phones, tv remotes, ipads and computers are death to them. Third dog takes no mind at all. A light flash will send them into a frenzy. Lola hates hardwood floors, although I think it is because it's slippery. Murphy dislikes books. ??? It's either something simple you can find, or something totally obscure that you can't figure out. It's likely not you, it's her. ;)2

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your kind feedback so much. I feel much better reading these last three responses.

@lyra , you are helping me to understand my little girl a lot more. How were you able to determine these objects of fear in your babies?

We have just noticed that since I have banned the squeaky shoes, she has been 100x better. They may been the culprit. We shall see how she does in the next few days. These were shoes specifically designed for skateboarding and their bottoms were sticky. They will make someone very happy at the Goodwill because they weren’t cheap!

Thank you again for all of your support.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your kind feedback so much. I feel much better reading these last three responses.

@lyra , you are helping me to understand my little girl a lot more. How were you able to determine these objects of fear in your babies?

We have just noticed that since I have banned the squeaky shoes, she has been 100x better. They may been the culprit. We shall see how she does in the next few days. These were shoes specifically designed for skateboarding and their bottoms were sticky. They will make someone very happy at the Goodwill because they weren’t cheap!

Thank you again for all of your support.

If your son needs tget for skateboarding, he could always put them on outside or at the skate park. Then just be sure to change out before going home.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dogs panic and run away from things. Except Casper, he refuses to run from anything. I have no idea why Murphy is afraid of books, lol. It's just something YOU have to get used to, and try to build confidence by being a steady leader. Like when your kid hurts himself and you say, It's okay it's just a scratch--when you're thinking OMG what do I do now! :mrgreen2: Pat her and call her a good girl when she's being calm. Reassure her and tell her it's okay when she freaks out. She might focus on another thing she doesn't like. They are quite neurotic, but they have to be. How else would they survive, being so small relative to the world around them.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dogs panic and run away from things. Except Casper, he refuses to run from anything. I have no idea why Murphy is afraid of books, lol. It's just something YOU have to get used to, and try to build confidence by being a steady leader. Like when your kid hurts himself and you say, It's okay it's just a scratch--when you're thinking OMG what do I do now! :mrgreen2: Pat her and call her a good girl when she's being calm. Reassure her and tell her it's okay when she freaks out. She might focus on another thing she doesn't like. They are quite neurotic, but they have to be. How else would they survive, being so small relative to the world around them.

This is such amazing common sense advice. As I was reading this, I was wondering why I haven’t applied this to my dog before. I do have to take this stance with my youngest son all of the time. Thank you for the “aha moment!”

She’s fine now. The shoes are gone and she’s back to being herself. She’s also loving the 80 degree weather. She gets very nervous whenever we put on our shoes but that is understandable. Poor girl.

Everyone, thanks again for your reassurance and help. :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such amazing common sense advice. As I was reading this, I was wondering why I haven’t applied this to my dog before. I do have to take this stance with my youngest son all of the time. Thank you for the “aha moment!”

She’s fine now. The shoes are gone and she’s back to being herself. She’s also loving the 80 degree weather. She gets very nervous whenever we put on our shoes but that is understandable. Poor girl.

Everyone, thanks again for your reassurance and help. :kiss2:

Best news!!! Thank you for updating us House Cat. I am relieved for you and your sweet baby. Please hug her from me and I suspect all the other PSers would want you to hug her from them too. (((Hugs))).

#badsqueakyshoes

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat, Great News! It had to be the shoes that upset her. I hope you are feeling better too.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
That's wonderful news house cat, she's precious. Yes please give her some hugs and kisses from me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results