shape
carat
color
clarity

My Ceylon Sapphire ring

CrystalDreamer

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I'm new here and am enjoying checking out all of the forums :). I thought I'd share with you a Ceylon Sapphire ring that my boyfriend has given me as an early Christmas present. It was his Great Aunt's. It has been kept at his Mother's house for years and years and when he asked her for it she gave it to him in an envelope that said the Great Aunt had bought the ring in a store while in Ceylon in January 1920.

I don't know much else about it. From some elementary research/measurements I think it's between 6 and 7 carats. There's some dings on top in a few places but given its 95 years old I consider them part of her character and so they don't bother me like they would on a new stone. I'm taking it to a jeweler within the next few days to build up a few prongs that are worn on top. Shortly after Christmas I'll have it appraised.

She's quite the color changer! I never knew sapphires could do that so for a week I battled with myself as to whether it was blue or purple (of course standing under different light sources each time). I had almost convinced myself I was losing my sense of color until I realized what was going on! Lol.

I'm very excited to own it!!! Here it is in natural day light, under regular house lighting in the kitchen, and by candlelight.

_1020.jpeg

_1021.jpeg

_1022.jpeg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl: Love the color change! Enjoy!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a honker! It's an absolutely beautiful colour :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is lovely!!!! Congratulations! What a lovely story too.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring! I enjoyed hearing your story. :clap: Wear it in good health! :wavey:

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
That color is just amazing wow!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your sapphire is a great color and your ring is very pretty.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
wow it looks so like colour change flourite have you had it tested for sapphire - a very beautiful colour :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous - are you going to get it appraised for insurance purposes?

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Wow that's beautiful! :love:

CrystalDreamer

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone :) Yes, I'll be having it appraised shortly after Christmas and will know all the specs then ;-)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! gorgeous.. congratulations!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone and lovely setting! More photos please :drool:

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Very cool ring, and it's made all the more special with the backstory. I look forward to seeing it when it's all spiffed up!

cloreene

Rough_Rock
You're so lucky. That is gorgeous!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring! So nice that you know the history behind it. You should post it in the Colored Stone forum!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is a wonderful moment your boyfriend gave you a family heirloom. It is very charming and looks lovely on your hand.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really beautiful and a wonderful family heirloom!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results