shape
carat
color
clarity

My CBI Journey So Far...

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
I had held off creating a SMTB thread for my first two CBIs, as beautiful as they were they were also small compared to the 3+ carat diamonds of dreams around here! But now, two upgrades in I’d love to share, and it could also be useful info for newbies.

Until I discovered PS I never wanted a diamond e-ring. They just didn’t seem special or rare. I was thinking a padparadscha or something else unusual. A Paraiba tourmaline, although not sure that’s a good idea of everyday wear.

Our circumstances were such that my husband and I got married at very short notice with no proposal, so no engagement ring. We used sterling silver bands from JCPenney for the wedding, which I will treasure forever!

This suited me fine as it meant two things:
1) I got to choose my own ring!
And 2) I could always upgrade without feeling sentimentally attached to a certain stone.

I found PS by googling Paraibas one day, and somehow made it over to Rocky Talky and discovered a whole world of super ideal cut diamonds I never knew existed. These threads dispelled everything I thought I knew about diamonds: that they were dull/boring/all looked the same, everyone had one, they were overpriced and a bad investment. I had suddenly found that cut is what made diamonds beautiful, rare and special. And that to a degree they can hold their value with the right upgrade policy. One vendor stood out to me as the absolute best of the best, so with a small starter budget we got my first CBI, an H .41 VS1.

With HPD’s upgrade policy I knew for the foreseeable future I’d be upgrading my head off whenever “fun money” presented itself. I do want a big diamond, and I am useless at saving unless it’s for something responsible/important like our babies’ college funds, or the usual safety net. If a cash influx is deemed disposable then I physically cannot hang on to it!! An awful trait that I should probably work on but for now I’m enjoying a savings account on my finger in the form of a growing diamond. Anyway, on to the stones!

I got my beautiful H in a budget-friendly Ritani knife edge solitaire. I wanted unplated white gold, but upon receiving this the metal color didn’t suit me *at all.* So after a few weeks I sent it back to Wink to rhodium plate. When it arrived back, the bright white metal made the H look a bit too tinted for my taste. Once I’d seen it in the car on an overcast day, I couldn’t unsee it ever!

I had some aforementioned fun money coming in so upgraded to an E .53 SI1. I was blown away when I opened the box for this one. Totally eye clean, with insane rainbow fire/dispersion and sparkle. Beautifully bright white, frosty and crisp. I miss that diamond so much already that I am hoping to buy it back someday, and find a match for either studs or side stones in future.

I thought I’d have my E for a while longer, and upgrade around the holidays this year. But then the CBI prices dropped so I decided to have another mini upgrade. Now I have a G .70 VS1, and it’s starting to look sizeable on my hand! It’s in another basic solitaire setting, this one is from HPD and I prefer it to the Ritani.

I am loving the size increase but I do feel the rainbow flashes were noticeably broader and stronger in my smaller E. Also interestingly, the color of my new G appears to be much closer to the E than to the H. I didn’t think I’d be able to notice these nuances quite so much as I have.

Regarding settings, my plan is once I hit 1 carat to get a Mark Morrell Microburst (a more petite version of the Petite Sunburst), and then at 2+ carats (so a few years away!) HPD’s Boston Classic.

I think my forever-CBI will be E color, and have proportions as close to my .53 E as possible.

Would also like to mention, although I probably don’t need to, that the service from HPD, Wink and Melissa is just stellar. I love working with them.

Pics to follow!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hand shot needed! Upgrading is fun! Enjoy it!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes me sad when I see people reluctant to show their bling because it's smaller than many of the diamonds on the board. PS is SO, SO, SO not the real world, especially now. And diamonds are going to be getting smaller in the future, not larger.

I love a gorgeous well-cut diamond - no matter how many carats! Let's see your beautiful stone!

ETA: I see you posted it. Fabulous beauty! :kiss2:

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Congrats and it's gorgeous! I'm sure you'll get those rainbows in this one, sometimes the light has to be *perfect*!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
It makes me sad when I see people reluctant to show their bling because it's smaller than many of the diamonds on the board. PS is SO, SO, SO not the real world, especially now. And diamonds are going to be getting smaller in the future, not larger.

I love a gorgeous well-cut diamond - no matter how many carats! Let's see your beautiful stone!

ETA: I see you posted it. Fabulous beauty! :kiss2:

You’re right, and I did show it in both the CBI and Under 1 Carat threads! I’ve always been really proud of them no matter how small. And I would rather have a .41 CBI than a 2 carat “good cut” any day!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Congrats and it's gorgeous! I'm sure you'll get those rainbows in this one, sometimes the light has to be *perfect*!

I definitely will! Haven’t had much chance to see it in different light yet!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks beautiful! Upgrading this way is so much fun isn’t it? You are so right though - the size is really secondary to the cut quality.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Your ring looks beautiful! Upgrading this way is so much fun isn’t it? You are so right though - the size is really secondary to the cut quality.

Yes it’s totally addictive!! My husband is like this with his Jeep, constantly customizing it, I feel like this is my equivalent project!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And that works for him and for you! Makes understanding so much easier - lol!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning, stunning stone! With all those flashes & rainbows, you'll ever get anything done!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
What a stunning, stunning stone! With all those flashes & rainbows, you'll ever get anything done!

The rainbows are from the E! I’m yet to capture rainbow flashes on the G, but the suns coming out so I might have a chance now!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!. :love:, Congrats!.
Size doesn't matter (yes I'm referring to diamonds) :Up_to_something:. We love seeing well cut stones..:kiss2: Specs please :bigsmile:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your story! Thank you for sharing your journey and fabulous stones with us! Your stone really packs a punch! :kiss2:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy moly, what a rock!! The fire is amazing. :kiss2: And your bands are lovely, too...the stone POPS extra-hard when paired with the plain band.

BTW, welcome to the addictive world of diamonds! Isn't it fun??

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s stunning!
When I joined PS over 10 years ago I never thought I’d be in the 3+ club and now I’m proud owner of one! You’ll be there before you know it! Haha I also have a padparadsha now cause I also had the same urge for something rare and different!

That’s one is the things I love about the PS community, having people who share your interests!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
The rainbows are stunning! Congrats on your upgrade.
Btw, I have just received mine CBI 2.13ct in H color, also Boston Classic that you have mentioned... just to let you know, don't ditch the H just yet... I thought I would but, let me tell you... I have a small D stone at home and there is a bit difference but not enough (for me) to justify the size...etc. 2+ct, going from H to E (your preferred) it is about $9,000 and while E sounds appealing, I am planning on using that cash for 2.60ct H in the future. Here are couple of pics of my CBI 2.13, H color just to give you an idea what your dream 2+ct size looks like (but in H). But hey, if one can afford 2.5ct + in E, more power to you!
IMG_0534.jpg IMG_0494.jpg

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
It’s stunning!
When I joined PS over 10 years ago I never thought I’d be in the 3+ club and now I’m proud owner of one! You’ll be there before you know it! Haha I also have a padparadsha now cause I also had the same urge for something rare and different!

That’s one is the things I love about the PS community, having people who share your interests!

You’re so right about PS and I’m really glad to have found this community. None of my friends or family share this interest!

And without PS I’d never have heard of CBI:-o

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
The rainbows are stunning! Congrats on your upgrade.
Btw, I have just received mine CBI 2.13ct in H color, also Boston Classic that you have mentioned... just to let you know, don't ditch the H just yet... I thought I would but, let me tell you... I have a small D stone at home and there is a bit difference but not enough (for me) to justify the size...etc. 2+ct, going from H to E (your preferred) it is about $9,000 and while E sounds appealing, I am planning on using that cash for 2.60ct H in the future. Here are couple of pics of my CBI 2.13, H color just to give you an idea what your dream 2+ct size looks like (but in H). But hey, if one can afford 2.5ct + in E, more power to you!
IMG_0534.jpg IMG_0494.jpg

That’s really beautiful, congratulations! And thank you for sharing the 2+ size in my dream setting! Have you made a thread on it yet as I’d love to see more pics.

That makes sense, however the plan for me is to size up in the lower color range (J-K to start, the size will make any tint totally worth it!) and then upgrade to an E of the same diameter. I can’t afford that right now, no way. But in increments it is absolutely happening! And this way I can hopefully use each setting 2-3 times if that works.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
That’s really beautiful, congratulations! And thank you for sharing the 2+ size in my dream setting! Have you made a thread on it yet as I’d love to see more pics.

That makes sense, however the plan for me is to size up in the lower color range (J-K to start, the size will make any tint totally worth it!) and then upgrade to an E of the same diameter. I can’t afford that right now, no way. But in increments it is absolutely happening! And this way I can hopefully use each setting 2-3 times if that works.

I haven't posted it yet but I will very soon. I just want to make sure I will include every compliment to Layla and Wink as they made my dreamy ring come true!

I hear you about the upgrade... I am hoping for 2.6ct in the future...

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring and CBI diamond! Enjoy the endless rainbows and sparkles!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results